Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also found out though that it depends on how old is your Apple device. I have an older iPod Touch that works in my 2016 Dodge Challenger but my 2018 Chieftain Limited’s Ride Command doesn’t see the iPod Touch when I plug it in. If your Nano is only 2-3 years old it will probably work. If it is old enough to have the connector that is before the Lightening connector I know for a fact that it won’t work. At least it doesn’t work for the iPod Touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for that, believe it or not, I had to google "lightening connector" to find out what it was!! ( my ipod has one) LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the same thing. Once I bluetooth my ear pods, everything worked. I wasn't getting the weather overlay, now I am. Even when I unplug the phone. It seems you need to do this step before all of the updates appear and work. Even the screen lighting works better, when you have it set to auto. Also the " PowerBand" now appears on the screen in red, and it seems to improve the quality of the sound.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup, mine also.
Not as slick as before.
But the widgets now stay in place on my standard.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did anyone notice that you have to hit the toggle switch on the clutch side twice to start the toggle between screens, before the update you only had to hit it once
Noticed that too... kinda annoying, but there seems to be some new logic to it although I’m not 100% sure I get it. Ie... 1st LH click appears to highlight a screen item, then allowing a RH toggle click to select that item. If just second-click the LH toggle, then it advances the screen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Regards the NEED to pair a BT headset to RideCommand for CarPlay to function, and play audio thru the bike speakers...

I started to ask WHY on the Indian Corp FB page, then mid-rant stopped & did more reading elsewhere, gaining some insight.
Here’s the whole blurb, in case others are asking the same “WHY” question:

Indian- Thank You... lovin’ the Challenger & this RC update,,, but gotta ask: WHY require a BT headset of any type to allow CarPlay to function & play thru the bike speakers???
Wire-connected to the USB port with a 2-way charge/data cable,, check. That should be ALL that’s required for CarPlay to then rock the bike speakers.
Please eliminate the BT headset loop, it makes NO sense.
(then)
*I did some reading at various sites on this question “WHY the need for a BT headset!”?
Here’s what I found:

Apple has a requirement for all CarPlay systems regardless of vehicle -that there be a microphone and speakers present. The reason: a big part of CarPlay is the “hands free” capability of Siri, and you can’t use Siri without a microphone and speakers. So every CarPlay system requires microphone and speakers be present.
Guessing that Indian implemented CarPlay such that to meet Apple’s requirements, they require a headset to be paired with RC. (“Headset” can be small BT earbuds, even just 1, cuz it is a BT Receiver w/tiny speaker & microphone.)
What a little BT device does is make the RC system think there is a microphone & speaker paired with the system.

We do not need to actually have a helmet headset paired to use CarPlay. A small BT earbud will do... pair it, then put it in a pocket or saddlebag. (yeah its battery life will be limiting,, unless you can then store it somewhere and keep it charged.)

THEN-
With a BT “headset” paired, now we can SELECT the speaker source ...ie, select to play thru the bike speakers; and continue to use CarPlay for maps, etc -without having a helmet headset.

So bottomline maybe it wasn’t Indian just trying to make it a pain to use CarPlay. CarPlay requires a mic & speaker. Our bikes have speakers but no microphone... so what choices did Indian have? Make the RC believe a mic IS part of the system via a BT connection to a headset or earbud.
Yep this is a legal stuff, Harley Boom GTS has the same requirements. With the headset and mike you can use Siri for all kinds things - making calls, instant directions, voice texts etc. All about doing hands free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep this is a legal stuff, Harley Boom GTS has the same requirements. With the headset and mike you can use Siri for all kinds things - making calls, instant directions, voice texts etc. All about doing hands free.
Yeah, sorry "Mic" not mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Question, When I have Apple Play on I can't send or receive phone calls on my sph10h-fm?
If I un-pair the headset from the Challenger and pair it with the phone I can send and receive phone calls.
Thx David

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 20s. On my 2018 Chieftain that is what I needed to do. I have a 10x iPhone with Siri active. I would just speak “hey siri”! And then say to call.... All worked. This would not function on the “nanny” Indian if both connected to the Ride Command. Only worked when stopped.
I haven’t tried with car play on the Indian. It does work on car play on the Harley. I tap the call button and Siri gives me the dit dit, i speak my command “call .....” it should work the same on the Indian for sure if not moving.
Possibly someone else has a Challenger and has it working.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Regards the NEED to pair a BT headset to RideCommand for CarPlay to function, and play audio thru the bike speakers...

I started to ask WHY on the Indian Corp FB page, then mid-rant stopped & did more reading elsewhere, gaining some insight.
Here’s the whole blurb, in case others are asking the same “WHY” question:

Indian- Thank You... lovin’ the Challenger & this RC update,,, but gotta ask: WHY require a BT headset of any type to allow CarPlay to function & play thru the bike speakers???
Wire-connected to the USB port with a 2-way charge/data cable,, check. That should be ALL that’s required for CarPlay to then rock the bike speakers.
Please eliminate the BT headset loop, it makes NO sense.
(then)
*I did some reading at various sites on this question “WHY the need for a BT headset!”?
Here’s what I found:

Apple has a requirement for all CarPlay systems regardless of vehicle -that there be a microphone and speakers present. The reason: a big part of CarPlay is the “hands free” capability of Siri, and you can’t use Siri without a microphone and speakers. So every CarPlay system requires microphone and speakers be present.
Guessing that Indian implemented CarPlay such that to meet Apple’s requirements, they require a headset to be paired with RC. (“Headset” can be small BT earbuds, even just 1, cuz it is a BT Receiver w/tiny speaker & microphone.)
What a little BT device does is make the RC system think there is a microphone & speaker paired with the system.

We do not need to actually have a helmet headset paired to use CarPlay. A small BT earbud will do... pair it, then put it in a pocket or saddlebag. (yeah its battery life will be limiting,, unless you can then store it somewhere and keep it charged.)

THEN-
With a BT “headset” paired, now we can SELECT the speaker source ...ie, select to play thru the bike speakers; and continue to use CarPlay for maps, etc -without having a helmet headset.

So bottomline maybe it wasn’t Indian just trying to make it a pain to use CarPlay. CarPlay requires a mic & speaker. Our bikes have speakers but no microphone... so what choices did Indian have? Make the RC believe a mic IS part of the system via a BT connection to a headset or earbud.
Great timing.... thank you for doing the research. I just updated mine yesterday and was thinking the EXACT same thing ....WTF..?? :mad: Luckily I have BT hearing aids and they make the system work so I'm good for now but I really don't need my hearing aids when riding, especially with a 100 watt stereo blaring in my face all day so I just left them turned ON and put them in the glove box. Now I have to burn up hearing aid batteries to enjoy Car Play.... Double WTF..! :mad: :mad: I'll have to find a less expensive way. I'm still pissed off about getting ripped off with the Polaris version of what they think is a navigation system, what a piece of crap that is. :poop: I was expecting something like Google Maps for $500 but THEY should have said >>> it's $500 plus batteries..! 🤡

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great timing.... thank you for doing the research. I just updated mine yesterday and was thinking the EXACT same thing ....WTF..?? :mad: Luckily I have BT hearing aids and they make the system work so I'm good for now but I really don't need my hearing aids when riding, especially with a 100 watt stereo blaring in my face all day so I just left them turned ON and put them in the glove box. Now I have to burn up hearing aid batteries to enjoy Car Play.... Double WTF..! :mad: :mad: I'll have to find a less expensive way. I'm still pissed off about getting ripped off with the Polaris version of what they think is a navigation system, what a piece of crap that is. :poop: I was expecting something like Google Maps for $500 but THEY should have said >>> it's $500 plus batteries..! 🤡
I recommend a deep breath here. If you by the SENA 20S equal or better you will satisfy the intend and gain a lot of benefit. If you ride without a helmet and/or "cheat the system" you can still use the maps, music ( I listen to iHeart) and maybe a couple other things. Also, cheating the system -- just get inexpensive rechargeable ear buds (mentioned by others) - save on the hearing aid batteries.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recommend a deep breath here. If you by the SENA 20S equal or better you will satisfy the intend and gain a lot of benefit. If you ride without a helmet and/or "cheat the system" you can still use the maps, music ( I listen to iHeart) and maybe a couple other things. Also, cheating the system -- just get inexpensive rechargeable ear buds (mentioned by others) - save on the hearing aid batteries.
Yes....as I said, I'll have to find a less expensive way out. Thank You.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did anyone notice that you have to hit the toggle switch on the clutch side twice to start the toggle between screens, before the update you only had to hit it once
I noticed that also my current ride screen wont hold data after the bike has been switched off, every time you start bike its a new ride.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, I just noticed it today. Its annoying when you're used to it the old way and anticipate it working like that. It's not 100% consistent either. We stopped for lunch and it didn't reset but later stopped real quick at the store and it did.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure yet but when i shut it off with the handle bar kill switch it reset. When i shit it off with power button it did not reset. Gonna try it again tomorrow and see it i am correct.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I noticed the same thing. As soon as I updated my ride command it would reset every time I filled up with gas. I used to have to reset it manually. I think it is a step backwards. Are you listening POLARIS?

61 - 80 of 112 Posts