Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Seems like a lot of Debbie Downers on this topic. No one seems to be happy about anything these days. We all expect perfection as we imagine it, and if anything falls short we get annoyed. :oops:

I did the update this morning, and in no time at all I had CarPlay functionality working. I, for one, am stoked about the update. I guess YMMV, but those of us who use Spotify, or something similar, now have easy access to our tunes and the rest of CarPlay goodness while riding.

I always ride with a paired headset, so that requirement doesn't phase me. And of course, it only makes sense as has already been mentioned -- its a voice-recognition based system.

If you have a better idea for a motorcycle based system, invent and market it! I would certainly be open to cool new tech. :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
well, I downloaded the software update, and it isn't what should be for accessing CarPlay. I paired my jabra T65 earbuds and connect the iPhone to the port inside the cubby, and NO LUCK! Why? I cannot get CarPlay to show up on my screen. Anybody else see it this way? TIA

·
Registered
24 Posts
Regards the NEED to pair a BT headset to RideCommand for CarPlay to function, and play audio thru the bike speakers...

I started to ask WHY on the Indian Corp FB page, then mid-rant stopped & did more reading elsewhere, gaining some insight.
Here’s the whole blurb, in case others are asking the same “WHY” question:

Indian- Thank You... lovin’ the Challenger & this RC update,,, but gotta ask: WHY require a BT headset of any type to allow CarPlay to function & play thru the bike speakers???
Wire-connected to the USB port with a 2-way charge/data cable,, check. That should be ALL that’s required for CarPlay to then rock the bike speakers.
Please eliminate the BT headset loop, it makes NO sense.
(then)
*I did some reading at various sites on this question “WHY the need for a BT headset!”?
Here’s what I found:

Apple has a requirement for all CarPlay systems regardless of vehicle -that there be a microphone and speakers present. The reason: a big part of CarPlay is the “hands free” capability of Siri, and you can’t use Siri without a microphone and speakers. So every CarPlay system requires microphone and speakers be present.
Guessing that Indian implemented CarPlay such that to meet Apple’s requirements, they require a headset to be paired with RC. (“Headset” can be small BT earbuds, even just 1, cuz it is a BT Receiver w/tiny speaker & microphone.)
What a little BT device does is make the RC system think there is a microphone & speaker paired with the system.

We do not need to actually have a helmet headset paired to use CarPlay. A small BT earbud will do... pair it, then put it in a pocket or saddlebag. (yeah its battery life will be limiting,, unless you can then store it somewhere and keep it charged.)

THEN-
With a BT “headset” paired, now we can SELECT the speaker source ...ie, select to play thru the bike speakers; and continue to use CarPlay for maps, etc -without having a helmet headset.

So bottomline maybe it wasn’t Indian just trying to make it a pain to use CarPlay. CarPlay requires a mic & speaker. Our bikes have speakers but no microphone... so what choices did Indian have? Make the RC believe a mic IS part of the system via a BT connection to a headset or earbud.
GMan1, I posted just a bit ago...I did all that and cannot see the CarPlay option to connect to it, let alone have it fire up by itself (I paired my Jabra earbuds). The speakers play, but no CarPlay feature...what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your time, GMan1

·
Registered
24 Posts
GMan1, I posted just a bit ago...I did all that and cannot see the CarPlay option to connect to it, let alone have it fire up by itself (I paired my Jabra earbuds). The speakers play, but no CarPlay feature...what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your time, GMan1
Whoa! Checking myself now...is it pairing the earbuds to the RC system??!! WTH...I paired it to my iPhone! damn....is that what the issue is?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance! I am not really into BT or smart phones or Ride Command for that matter as I have a Springfield, but the Challenger is catching my eye!
I have a question, If I were to plug in my Ipod Nano to the Challengers RC, would it work, would I get music through the speakers? Not using Iphone or Carplay just an ipod plugged in using USB cable?
A simple question and hopefully it would work, thanks, I really dont understand this stuff!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I went about 20km after it went down to 0 and still only put 19.7L in.
Yes, I've done that a few times. It's not empty when it says it is. I usually have 4L left in the tank. It's not a bad thing, better than the other way around! LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anybody having fueling issues after the update? My send to be pinging terrible when giving it full throttle after the update

·
Bronze member
3,438 Posts
Anybody having fueling issues after the update? My send to be pinging terrible when giving it full throttle after the update

Ride command has nothing to do with your ECU or engine, its a infotainment system like the car stereo you have in a car or truck. Updating has nothing to do with the engine or motorcycle

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I was at my local phone store yesterday and they told me that Apple music App is available for Android and said that should allow the Ride Commend to work the music. Has anyone tried this. I have to wait til Monday to get Apple music for free as part of my business plan, then delete my other pay service which I bluetooth to my Challenger.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think they were a little confused. The Apple Music App on Android allows the your android phone to access your apple music and work with Android Auto but not the other way around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance! I am not really into BT or smart phones or Ride Command for that matter as I have a Springfield, but the Challenger is catching my eye!
I have a question, If I were to plug in my Ipod Nano to the Challengers RC, would it work, would I get music through the speakers? Not using Iphone or Carplay just an ipod plugged in using USB cable?
A simple question and hopefully it would work, thanks, I really dont understand this stuff!
I have the base model and this is how I currently have my iPhone set. RC Lets me see all the menus (playlist, artists, ......... etc). Much better than the Bluetooth connection and it charges the phone to boot.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I also found out though that it depends on how old is your Apple device. I have an older iPod Touch that works in my 2016 Dodge Challenger but my 2018 Chieftain Limited’s Ride Command doesn’t see the iPod Touch when I plug it in. If your Nano is only 2-3 years old it will probably work. If it is old enough to have the connector that is before the Lightening connector I know for a fact that it won’t work. At least it doesn’t work for the iPod Touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the base model and this is how I currently have my iPhone set. RC Lets me see all the menus (playlist, artists, ......... etc). Much better than the Bluetooth connection and it charges the phone to boot.
Thanks for the reply, the Titanium silver is lovely on the base model, shame its not available in the UK! Darkhorse and LTD are they only models imported??!!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts