Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Regards the NEED to pair a BT headset to RideCommand for CarPlay to function, and play audio thru the bike speakers...

I started to ask WHY on the Indian Corp FB page, then mid-rant stopped & did more reading elsewhere, gaining some insight.
Here’s the whole blurb, in case others are asking the same “WHY” question:

Indian- Thank You... lovin’ the Challenger & this RC update,,, but gotta ask: WHY require a BT headset of any type to allow CarPlay to function & play thru the bike speakers???
Wire-connected to the USB port with a 2-way charge/data cable,, check. That should be ALL that’s required for CarPlay to then rock the bike speakers.
Please eliminate the BT headset loop, it makes NO sense.
(then)
*I did some reading at various sites on this question “WHY the need for a BT headset!”?
Here’s what I found:

Apple has a requirement for all CarPlay systems regardless of vehicle -that there be a microphone and speakers present. The reason: a big part of CarPlay is the “hands free” capability of Siri, and you can’t use Siri without a microphone and speakers. So every CarPlay system requires microphone and speakers be present.
Guessing that Indian implemented CarPlay such that to meet Apple’s requirements, they require a headset to be paired with RC. (“Headset” can be small BT earbuds, even just 1, cuz it is a BT Receiver w/tiny speaker & microphone.)
What a little BT device does is make the RC system think there is a microphone & speaker paired with the system.

We do not need to actually have a helmet headset paired to use CarPlay. A small BT earbud will do... pair it, then put it in a pocket or saddlebag. (yeah its battery life will be limiting,, unless you can then store it somewhere and keep it charged.)

THEN-
With a BT “headset” paired, now we can SELECT the speaker source ...ie, select to play thru the bike speakers; and continue to use CarPlay for maps, etc -without having a helmet headset.

So bottomline maybe it wasn’t Indian just trying to make it a pain to use CarPlay. CarPlay requires a mic & speaker. Our bikes have speakers but no microphone... so what choices did Indian have? Make the RC believe a mic IS part of the system via a BT connection to a headset or earbud.

·
Rider
384 Posts
Good info.
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
All motorcycles that I have seen force you to connect a headset (Honda, HD are ones I can personally attest to) before Carplay can work. I agree, it is bogus, you should be able to use external speakers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gman1
Very good explanation!
But.... what are the details on.... why I need Nav on my Base Challenger?

·
Bronze member
3,438 Posts
Been trying for 2 hours to get just one of my Bluetooth earphones to connect to the bike but won’t.

Don't know about the 2020 models but the prior models required you to connect the earbuds or headset in the phone pairing mode, other words the headset/earbud needs to be paired as a phone.

·
Bronze member
3,438 Posts
Gman1
Very good explanation!
But.... what are the details on.... why I need Nav on my Base Challenger?

Because Indian doesn't want you to use Car Play instead of buying the 500.00+ Nav upgrade. Why pay and upgrade to NAV when you could use Car Play.............. It also may have to do with the associated hardware that comes with the NAV upgrade. Also the NAV upgrade helps pay Apple for the Licensing cost of Car Play.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the same thing. My guess is the servers got overloaded. I tried this morning and it hasn't kicked me back with the problem yet.

Edit: Scratch that, just got an error after posting.

Reactions: BaggerJay

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did mine for update first, then onto bike, then back for maps, ok no issue, but I did it at 10p.m.
Less traffic on internet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Did mine for update first, then onto bike, then back for maps, ok no issue, but I did it at 10p.m.
Less traffic on internet.
I think the less traffic is the ticket here. I did the software update with no issues. It's the map download that is having the issues. I'm trying again now.

·
5 years +
126 Posts
I think the less traffic is the ticket here. I did the software update with no issues. It's the map download that is having the issues. I'm trying again now.
I just got off the phone with Customer Service and I was told that the people involved with Ride Command had a meeting this morning to resolve the problem they are having with the map update and I would be contacted as soon as it has been resolved.

·
5 years +
126 Posts
Because Indian doesn't want you to use Car Play instead of buying the 500.00+ Nav upgrade. Why pay and upgrade to NAV when you could use Car Play.............. It also may have to do with the associated hardware that comes with the NAV upgrade. Also the NAV upgrade helps pay Apple for the Licensing cost of Car Play.
See Gman1 #21 post. Still doesn't explain why the need for RC Nav

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just got off the phone with Customer Service and I was told that the people involved with Ride Command had a meeting this morning to resolve the problem they are having with the map update and I would be contacted as soon as it has been resolved.
Thank you! I tried updating again today and got the same email. Keep us posted when they get it working.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Apple doesn’t charge licensing.

Base model already has GPS and the exact same head unit. Only difference is no cellular modem, which CarPlay doesn’t use because it goes through your phone.

It’s purely to make you upgrade just to make money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well...AT LEAST it can be a wireless BT headset and not that bull%^t Harley plugin wired crap!!! That being said I grabbed my Cardo Packtalk off my touring helmet, turned it on and threw it in the saddlebag and CarPlay worked just fine. I have a cigarette plug unit in the saddlebag that plugs into the battery pigtail on the left side of the bike, I'll plug a USB charger in that with a charging cable to the PackTalk so the battery doesn't die on my long rides. not ideal but it'll work. Think I'll try my Jabra earbuds next...

Im more ticked about still having to plug the phone into the USB instead of CarPlay working through BT...I had just bought the Ciro3D wireless charger so I didn't have to run a USB cable from the glove box to the handlebar mount, now Im back to having that damn cable snaked around my bars😤

·
Rider
790 Posts
I updated my bike off the computer onto the memory stick that came with the bike. I am not involved with the phone culture but I now know that I am getting 44 mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regards the NEED to pair a BT headset to RideCommand for CarPlay to function, and play audio thru the bike speakers...

I started to ask WHY on the Indian Corp FB page, then mid-rant stopped & did more reading elsewhere, gaining some insight.
Here’s the whole blurb, in case others are asking the same “WHY” question:

Indian- Thank You... lovin’ the Challenger & this RC update,,, but gotta ask: WHY require a BT headset of any type to allow CarPlay to function & play thru the bike speakers???
Wire-connected to the USB port with a 2-way charge/data cable,, check. That should be ALL that’s required for CarPlay to then rock the bike speakers.
Please eliminate the BT headset loop, it makes NO sense.
(then)
*I did some reading at various sites on this question “WHY the need for a BT headset!”?
Here’s what I found:

Apple has a requirement for all CarPlay systems regardless of vehicle -that there be a microphone and speakers present. The reason: a big part of CarPlay is the “hands free” capability of Siri, and you can’t use Siri without a microphone and speakers. So every CarPlay system requires microphone and speakers be present.
Guessing that Indian implemented CarPlay such that to meet Apple’s requirements, they require a headset to be paired with RC. (“Headset” can be small BT earbuds, even just 1, cuz it is a BT Receiver w/tiny speaker & microphone.)
What a little BT device does is make the RC system think there is a microphone & speaker paired with the system.

We do not need to actually have a helmet headset paired to use CarPlay. A small BT earbud will do... pair it, then put it in a pocket or saddlebag. (yeah its battery life will be limiting,, unless you can then store it somewhere and keep it charged.)

THEN-
With a BT “headset” paired, now we can SELECT the speaker source ...ie, select to play thru the bike speakers; and continue to use CarPlay for maps, etc -without having a helmet headset.

So bottomline maybe it wasn’t Indian just trying to make it a pain to use CarPlay. CarPlay requires a mic & speaker. Our bikes have speakers but no microphone... so what choices did Indian have? Make the RC believe a mic IS part of the system via a BT connection to a headset or earbud.
Thanks for update. Will try that...

21 - 40 of 68 Posts