Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Well that’s a let down, it’s there...the widgets stay put when you shut the bike down however I can’t get CarPlay to work. I have the phone plugged into the usb like it’s supposed to be. I even paired my headset to the bike to meet their instructions and still nothing. Tried cycling power on bike, Bluetooth on/off on phone, WiFi on/off on phone and still nada. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts

Well that’s a let down, it’s there...the widgets stay put when you shut the bike down however I can’t get CarPlay to work. I have the phone plugged into the usb like it’s supposed to be. I even paired my headset to the bike to meet their instructions and still nothing. Tried cycling power on bike, Bluetooth on/off on phone, WiFi on/off on phone and still nada. Hmmm

Do you have to have the nav package? I heard from someone else you would have to have the cellular modem to get CarPlay. If that’s true, it would be a terrible money grab and put Indian on par with BMW trying to charge it’s customers a subscription to use CarPlay.

CarPlay doesn’t cost manufacturers anything in terms of licensing and does not need a cellular connection other than through your phone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Negative, have a base model. The update doesn’t mention anything about needing the Nav pack. Hopefully I’m just doing something slightly wrong (wouldn’t be the first time lol) but you’re right if you need to upgrade to their nav first that’s a bullshit money grab!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Negative, have a base model. The update doesn’t mention anything about needing the Nav pack. Hopefully I’m just doing something slightly wrong (wouldn’t be the first time lol) but you’re right if you need to upgrade to their nav first that’s a bullshit money grab!

Unfortunately I saw these notes posted on a Facebook group. I think we might be boned.

·
Bronze member
2,185 Posts

Well that’s a letdown, it’s there...the widgets stay put when you shut the bike down however I can’t get CarPlay to work. I have the phone plugged into the usb like it’s supposed to be. I even paired my headset to the bike to meet their instructions and still nothing. Tried cycling power on bike, Bluetooth on/off on phone, WiFi on/off on phone and still nada. Hmmm

Yep...this was a swing and a miss by IM. Makes me wonder if anyone at IM is a rider or consulted with the software developer. This is ridiculous...you can’t use Apple Car Play w/o a headset being paired to the bike...even though all you want to do is use your phone for nav and music. So, I did this work-around. Had an old pair of Bluetooth earbuds and paired them to the bike. Bingo...everything worked on Apple Car Play. Now the downside, the earbuds will only work when not plugged into a charger...so, my plan was to pair them to the bike and leave them plugged into the saddlebag charger...but that’s not going to work. So, every time I want to use Car Play, I’ve got to unhook them from the charger and pair & connect them to the bike. Then, I’m only good until the battery dies on the earbuds...which is about 10 hours. So, for most days, 10 hours is enough, but on a bike trip, it won’t be.

·
Rider
384 Posts
What’s with needing Bluetooth earbuds? Indian won’t let us play the music through the speakers?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there anyway to download the file to your phone and getting it on the USB drive without using a computer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep...this was a swing and a miss by IM. Makes me wonder if anyone at IM is a rider or consulted with the software developer. This is ridiculous...you can’t use Apple Car Play w/o a headset being paired to the bike...even though all you want to do is use your phone for nav and music. So, I did this work-around. Had an old pair of Bluetooth earbuds and paired them to the bike. Bingo...everything worked on Apple Car Play. Now the downside, the earbuds will only work when not plugged into a charger...so, my plan was to pair them to the bike and leave them plugged into the saddlebag charger...but that’s not going to work. So, every time I want to use Car Play, I’ve got to unhook them from the charger and pair & connect them to the bike. Then, I’m only good until the battery dies on the earbuds...which is about 10 hours. So, for most days, 10 hours is enough, but on a bike trip, it won’t be.
That is a whole different level of stupid. Why would you ever need a Bluetooth headset attached to use CarPlay? My truck has CarPlay, doesn’t require you to buy nav, and certainly doesn’t need a Bluetooth headset.

This is the dumbest crap I’ve ever heard.

Not to mention need to have navigation to use CarPlay?

They are worse than BMW charging a subscription for CarPlay. At least BMW was only 70 bucks a year...

·
Bronze member
2,185 Posts
Is there anyway to download the file to your phone and getting it on the USB drive without using a computer
I doubt it. The instruction on the Indian Website said to load it on a usb that’s formatted for fat32 or exfat and then hook that to your bike for the upgrade. If you only have an iPhone or iPad, the software update will not show up on your device. You’re going to have to find a pc to use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did it I have android, I just used a USB adapter so I could plug it into my phone download the file put it on thumb drive, it shows up on android as a external USB device, it was easy, put it in the bike and updated, don't need apple car play, the ride command boots up alot faster and night mode goes off a few seconds after leaving the tunnels instead of staying on for miles

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have it installed and thankfully I already had a Cardo and Sena headsets. Once it is installed you can use the built in speakers. I have not tried using it with out the headset on. The Music button and the device button below the screen will not take you to the non-carplay functions with CarPlay active. So to select between speakers and headset you need to disconnect the phone then select what you want to hear audio from then re-connect your device for CarPlay to be heard from that source. The Music button will take you to the Now Playing view and the Device button will open your contacts. Also, your audio maybe muted on the bike. Siri and music have different volume levels so make sure you raise both. The Carplay widget seems to force it self to the top position on screen one of the rider screens. I moved it, I hope it stays were I put it. I would love at least 1 more rider screen for a total of 4. Now for the 22Gb map update.. Approx 26min to do the map update, if your curious.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm sure it's requiring a headset to be paired for the phone function of Carplay

·
Bronze member
3,438 Posts
Yes, it's true. If the headset is not paired and connected to the bike, Carplay will not appear on the screen, even thogh the iPhone is connected via bluetooth. IMHO, this makes it useless.

🙄 And Indian thought they were making everyone happy. There are already a bunch of unhappy campers about having to connect a headset to use it. One of the biiger features of carplay is the nav feature, but you have to have the Indian Ride command Nav feature for CarPlay to work, so all the 2020 base models have to upgrade to NAV to get CAr Play to use CarPlay Nav........LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is no mention of it being wireless. I only know of one or two cars that do wireless CarPlay. I have only used it wired so far. I unpaired my phone from Bluetooth to the bike for now. It seemed to fight it.

·
Rider
384 Posts
Been trying for 2 hours to get just one of my Bluetooth earphones to connect to the bike but won’t.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts