Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question #101 - what is the common/correct way that folks connect the Ride Command, phones and Bluetooth headsets to all work concurrently? In my car, there is obviously only one connection - between my phone and the head unit in the car, so I get that, but with the controls built into the bike via Ride Command, presumably you'd need to connect all three devices, right? So do you connect the phone and Ride Command first, then add in the Bluetooth headset as a 2nd device in Ride Command? Or does the Bluetooth headset connect to your phone, then the phone to Ride Command and everything still gets controlled via the switchgear on the bike?

I want to purchase a Sena or Cardo BT communicator, but ideally I want to have that integrated with Ride Command since the bike offers that feature. Just not sure if I have the right idea about how all of that works together (if it does). If it doesn't work the way I'm thinking, it's fine, I just need to know what to expect so that I'm not disappointed once I get it. There's enough other functionality with the BT communicators that I think it's still worth it regardless though.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I did a really long, detailed write-up for this awhile ago, but I don't remember if it was on here or on the Facebook page, so here goes...

After you have installed your new Sena (will be used to refer to any BT commo system henceforth) in your helmet:

Step 1) Power up your bike, turn off the "shut down after 20 minutes" thing in the settings menu, and navigate to the Bluetooth screen. You should see a screen marked with a headset, and one marked with a phone.

Step 2) Power up your SENA and put it in paring mode, then press the icon on the screen to search for devices. It should find your headset. Follow the prompts and instructions in the SENA manual for pairing.

Step 3) After the headset is paired, power off your headset. Turn on the bluetooth for your phone, and do the same thing to pair the phone with your RC, except you use the screen with the phone icon.

Step 4) TURN OFF YOUR BIKE. Power your Sena back on, and go through the steps to pair it with your phone. If you try to do the initial pairing with something else connected, RC geeks out and won't find the device, or it will cause the phone to not pair with the Sena. Once the Sena and phone are paired, turn off the Sena.

Now that you have the Sena paired with the RC, the phone paired with the RC, and the Sena and phone paired with each other, it is time to connect all three at the same time. The following is the steps that I use every time I ride, and 90% of the time it works every time.

Step 1) make sure that the BT on the phone is on. (mine is usually always on anyway, and connected to my smartwatch)

Step 2) power up the bike. As soon as the "Indian" logo disappears from the screen and the normal riding screen comes up, you should see a small phone icon on the top of the screen with some signal bars. This indicates that the phone is connected to the RC.

Step 3) power up the Sena. You should hear some beeps, a sexy voice that says "hello", and then it will say "phone connected". Sometimes it will say that "media is connected" or something similar, but it doesn't always. You should also see a small headset icon next to your phone icon on the screen. This indicates that your headset is connected to the RC. As long as you see both icons, all is well.

I have had some success with already having the Sena turned on when powering up the bike, but I have also had it not connect to the RC if it is powered up before the bike is turned on. If you notice that the headset icon is missing after your initial powering up of everything, powercycling the Sena usually fixes the issue.

Once both the Sena and phone are connected to the RC, you can use the trigger switches on the controls to accept or deny calls. Sadly, the volume buttons on the bike do nothing for call volume, you have to use the buttons on the Sena to adjust that.

PRO-TIP: if you use WhatsApp, Signal, or any other messaging app other than the stock SMS app on your phone, text messages WILL NOT push to the screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU!!! This is perfect - I was worried that you couldn't pair up both the headset and the phone at the same time. At least now when I go shopping for a headset I have some confidence that it'll all work.

I assume that most BT headsets will work in a similar fashion, correct? I don't want to go the route of a cheap knock-off, I had just been hearing good things about Cardo as well, and wanted to compare those and the Sena units to see what would be the best one to go with. Not necessarily looking to get any reviews of Sena versus Cardo per se, just wondering if there were any issues pairing everything up with the other brands is all.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I also have phone and headset paired to the RC and my Sena and phone paired. The one thing i figured out is that if your Sena connects to your phone first, the Sena will not connect to RC. luckily It pairs with the RC much quicker than it pairs with the phone at first power up, most of the time. That is why sometimes you need to power cycle the Sena if it is not paired to the RC, so it will pair with the RC first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great write up, thank you.

Now - how and at what point do you connect the helmet comms (BT) for the passenger’s headset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
The passenger or any other headset will connect to your headset via the intercom feature, rather than the same connection as the bike and phone. Via the intercom connectivity you can have up to 8, I believe, with the older models and way more than that with the 50S mesh feature.
You cannot connect more than one headset to the bike. If you want the passenger to hear what is playing from the bike, you need to turn on the music sharing feature in your Sena headset and the passenger will hear what you hear. I dont remember how to do that exactly but I think you hold the main button on the headset until you hear 3 beeps. You can look up the instructions, it works great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

So if she’s hearing music coming to my headset, she will also hear navigation and any calls I would assume too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

So if she’s hearing music coming to my headset, she will also hear navigation and any calls I would assume too.

I think she will hear navigation prompts, but i am not sure about the phone calls. IIRC she will not hear your phone calls, but it's a pretty easy test to make sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks! Trying to get an understanding and process down in advance of what we believe to be our purchase of an Indian RM in the near future. This connectivity is important to us as we do like to listen to music and chat from time to time, and I am about to purchase helmets and comms gear to use with the RM. We are coming from a Honda VFR that we rode for more than a decade and had wired comms that were primitive compared to what’s out now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a really long, detailed write-up for this awhile ago, but I don't remember if it was on here or on the Facebook page, so here goes...

After you have installed your new Sena (will be used to refer to any BT commo system henceforth) in your helmet:

Step 1) Power up your bike, turn off the "shut down after 20 minutes" thing in the settings menu, and navigate to the Bluetooth screen. You should see a screen marked with a headset, and one marked with a phone.

Step 2) Power up your SENA and put it in paring mode, then press the icon on the screen to search for devices. It should find your headset. Follow the prompts and instructions in the SENA manual for pairing.

Step 3) After the headset is paired, power off your headset. Turn on the bluetooth for your phone, and do the same thing to pair the phone with your RC, except you use the screen with the phone icon.

Step 4) TURN OFF YOUR BIKE. Power your Sena back on, and go through the steps to pair it with your phone. If you try to do the initial pairing with something else connected, RC geeks out and won't find the device, or it will cause the phone to not pair with the Sena. Once the Sena and phone are paired, turn off the Sena.

Now that you have the Sena paired with the RC, the phone paired with the RC, and the Sena and phone paired with each other, it is time to connect all three at the same time. The following is the steps that I use every time I ride, and 90% of the time it works every time.

Step 1) make sure that the BT on the phone is on. (mine is usually always on anyway, and connected to my smartwatch)

Step 2) power up the bike. As soon as the "Indian" logo disappears from the screen and the normal riding screen comes up, you should see a small phone icon on the top of the screen with some signal bars. This indicates that the phone is connected to the RC.

Step 3) power up the Sena. You should hear some beeps, a sexy voice that says "hello", and then it will say "phone connected". Sometimes it will say that "media is connected" or something similar, but it doesn't always. You should also see a small headset icon next to your phone icon on the screen. This indicates that your headset is connected to the RC. As long as you see both icons, all is well.

I have had some success with already having the Sena turned on when powering up the bike, but I have also had it not connect to the RC if it is powered up before the bike is turned on. If you notice that the headset icon is missing after your initial powering up of everything, powercycling the Sena usually fixes the issue.

Once both the Sena and phone are connected to the RC, you can use the trigger switches on the controls to accept or deny calls. Sadly, the volume buttons on the bike do nothing for call volume, you have to use the buttons on the Sena to adjust that.

PRO-TIP: if you use WhatsApp, Signal, or any other messaging app other than the stock SMS app on your phone, text messages WILL NOT push to the screen.
Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the benefit of having all 3 connected? Phone to RC, headset to RC. I have mine set this way and audio and phone calls work great. Just wondering what the benefit of connecting phone to headset might be. Genuinely interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the benefit of having all 3 connected? Phone to RC, headset to RC. I have mine set this way and audio and phone calls work great. Just wondering what the benefit of connecting phone to headset might be. Genuinely interested. Thanks!
So it still works when the bike is off is the only benefit that I can think of.

·
Registered
289 Posts
the biggest benefit i get from connecting all 3 is then audio from my phone is loud enough to hear it. I keep audiobooks on my phone for long trips, and if i just let the phone audio play through the RC to my headset, the volume is just too low to hear it. When i connect my phone to my Sena, as well as the RC to the Sena, i can hear the phone directly into the Sena with much better volume. But then i can still pause, play, skip from the controls on the handlebar. If RC would let me control the volume on what is playing via bluetooth to a headset, i would not need to connect my Sena to my phone.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
the biggest benefit i get from connecting all 3 is then audio from my phone is loud enough to hear it. I keep audiobooks on my phone for long trips, and if i just let the phone audio play through the RC to my headset, the volume is just too low to hear it. When i connect my phone to my Sena, as well as the RC to the Sena, i can hear the phone directly into the Sena with much better volume. But then i can still pause, play, skip from the controls on the handlebar. If RC would let me control the volume on what is playing via bluetooth to a headset, i would not need to connect my Sena to my phone.
When I took a motorcycle trip from VA to NC and back, I played downloaded audio files from YouTube to study for my A&P exam through the stereo on the bike. It was plenty loud enough to hear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts