Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent map update failed to install correctly and now the map functions no longer work. Unable to create a map key now as well. Talked with Indian Motorcycle CSR, performed a few checks, but no positive results. Took my 2018 Roadmaster into the dealership a week ago. They are scratching their heads along with the Indian Ride Command support team. They have analyzed log files for days now.

In reference to other threads, the thumb drive used was 256GB, Fat32 formatted. All the non-map functions of Ride Command work correctly. Just the map features no longer function.

Has anyone else experienced this level of issue? Looking for advice/recommendations to share with tech support so I can have my bike back.

·
German Rider
2,074 Posts
Didn't had that problem, but I got a card (like a credit card) from my dealer, with a code on it. So you could download map updates without creating a key before. Shouldn't something like this exist for your bike also?

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't had that problem, but I got a card (like a credit card) from my dealer, with a code on it. So you could download map updates without creating a key before. Shouldn't something like this exist for your bike also?

Cu,
Sven
Unfortunately, the issue I’m experiencing is more complicated. The local technicians, at the recommendation from the Polaris Ride Command tech support team, wiped the RC software and map files clean and performed a fresh install. The software side was successful, but the maps functionality was not. We have the updated map files on the thumb drive, but RC doesn’t perform the update. :-(

·
Bronze member
4,751 Posts
A recent map update failed to install correctly and now the map functions no longer work. Unable to create a map key now as well. Talked with Indian Motorcycle CSR, performed a few checks, but no positive results. Took my 2018 Roadmaster into the dealership a week ago. They are scratching their heads along with the Indian Ride Command support team. They have analyzed log files for days now.

In reference to other threads, the thumb drive used was 256GB, Fat32 formatted. All the non-map functions of Ride Command work correctly. Just the map features no longer function.

Has anyone else experienced this level of issue? Looking for advice/recommendations to share with tech support so I can have my bike back.

The firmware in the Ride Command most likely can't deal with a drive that big. Most have found 32GB seem to be the best fit

·
German Rider
2,074 Posts
The firmware in the Ride Command most likely can't deal with a drive that big. Most have found 32GB seem to be the best fit
Copy the files to a smaller thumb drive like the mentioned 32GB ones. Also, there has been some RC units which freezed up after the software update. Maybe, perhaps, could be that your unit is one of them - with a slightly different sympton, but who knows, computer and women - nobody will understand them ever.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copy the files to a smaller thumb drive like the mentioned 32GB ones. Also, there has been some RC units which freezed up after the software update. Maybe, perhaps, could be that your unit is one of them - with a slightly different sympton, but who knows, computer and women - nobody will understand them ever.

Cu,
Sven
I’ve tried a 32GB thumb drive as well. Unfortunately, the issue I’m experiencing isn’t with the update, but with the base unit (still undetermined if it’s a firmware/software or hardware issue). The Polaris RC team is working with the third-party company that developed RC on their behalf to determine root cause. The firmware/software has been removed and reinstalled twice now. Perhaps it’s time to replace the RC module altogether. I did retrieve my bike from the dealership yesterday so I can ride it while they figure it out. Smh

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hal
I see your from Shelbyville Ky, same here. What dealership is working on your bike?
I’m still figuring out all the features on the ride command. Just a thought as these are all computer issues, have you or Indian done a total power down? (Disconnecting battery ) for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes computers get into a loop that will continue until all power supply is removed. I’ve had this happen on laptop computers they only way to clear it was to remove the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hal
I see your from Shelbyville Ky, same here. What dealership is working on your bike?
I’m still figuring out all the features on the ride command. Just a thought as these are all computer issues, have you or Indian done a total power down? (Disconnecting battery ) for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes computers get into a loop that will continue until all power supply is removed. I’ve had this happen on laptop computers they only way to clear it was to remove the battery.
Let’s get together sometime to ride and to compare notes on ride command. We have disconnected the power and let everything power down, but with no success. Indian has agreed to replace my ride command with a new one. I’ve been riding the bike while they trouble shot the log files etc; just waiting for the new unit to arrive. I’ll have CC Powersports in Clarksville do the work, for one they’re the closest Indian dealership to us, and for two, the guys in the service department are awesome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
F
Simple fix, they need to give you a new head unit.
Simple fix, they need to give you a new head unit.
Fortunately, Indian agreed to replace the ride command, just waiting for it to arrive so I can schedule the swap. Although the issue has everyone scratching their heads, I give Indian and the local dealership a lot of credit for not letting this rest as well as keeping me abreast of the activity. I’ve been riding the bike while they scratched their heads, so at least the wait was bearable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let’s get together sometime to ride and to compare notes on ride command. We have disconnected the power and let everything power down, but with no success. Indian has agreed to replace my ride command with a new one. I’ve been riding the bike while they trouble shot the log files etc; just waiting for the new unit to arrive. I’ll have CC Powersports in Clarksville do the work, for one they’re the closest Indian dealership to us, and for two, the guys in the service department are awesome!
That sounds great. I will be retiring from trucking on July 30th. Can’t wait to be able to ride everyday. I bought my RM from CC Powersports Jeff and Cat are awesome, the service department is also top notch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts