Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any good tutorials on map route building for the Ride Command? I find it challenging and sometimes buggy to do what I would think would be pretty basic task building and editing a map. I'm old but not dumb or is it I'm dumb but not old? one thing I have a problem getting past is when wanting to build a new route after building a route is the last or old route that I saved does not disappear on the new map and remains in the new route. tried a few different things and just decided building a map was easier in another app. I have also built maps with one route, loaded it into the RC and later edited, saved and uploaded again but old map shows up and not the new one. Sometime I feel like I have better things to do then try and figure this out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's not just you, it's a PITA. I've tried to import other GPX routes into the R.C. website to load up on my bike and it's been nothing short of a hot mess....

·
Registered
235 Posts
It has a lot of bugs and quirks. To get rid of saved routes on the current map you can turn off the "routes" button circled in red shown below (before/after). Its a lot of trial and error but its free so I can't complain too much.......

Tim
Map1.jpg
Map2.jpg

Map1.jpg

Reactions: Randyvan

·
Registered
408 Posts
You know, I'm not really impressed with Indian's support of Ride Command, especially on the newer models. Considering how important that feature can be one would think that they would put more emphasis on tutorials and a bit more than a fold out in a new bike. I'm also quite sure that they are furiously updating the product for us which is why they are somewhat behind in things.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
235 Posts
When Indian sends me surveys to fill out I always tell them to fix all the bugs in their GPS navigation package. If they made tutorials on how to use this system they would discover all the bugs.

Tim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Bronze member
3,964 Posts
When Indian launched the first gen Ride Command 2017-2019 it was a very good system. Indian even had a website with a actual ride command simulator that you could actually practice on your computer running through all the menu and options. It vanished sometime late 2018. The first Gen ride command is very stable and works great and had a siftware update in late 2019.

The 2020 Ride command is from a different vendor/company (Harman Kardon) and is supposed to have insane new features including Apple Car Play and Android Auto as well as rider group communication and networking. The Apple/Android update was due in March this year, but was put on hold due to Covid19.

Indian released a mandatory software update in November of 2019 for all 2020 units. The problem is most of these bikes were still sitting in dealerships or enroute, and many of the dealerships which are shitty as we know, never updated the software and the customers were sold bikes with software that was badly in need of updates.

Indian doesn't write or control, the software, its contracted out like many companies do, so they are at the mercy of these companies which most are foreign and Covid 19 shut most of the world down except the US.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When Indian launched the first gen Ride Command 2017-2019 it was a very good system. Indian even had a website with a actual ride command simulator that you could actually practice on your computer running through all the menu and options. It vanished sometime late 2018. The first Gen ride command is very stable and works great and had a siftware update in late 2019.

The 2020 Ride command is from a different vendor/company (Harman Kardon) and is supposed to have insane new features including Apple Car Play and Android Auto as well as rider group communication and networking. The Apple/Android update was due in March this year, but was put on hold due to Covid19.

Indian released a mandatory software update in November of 2019 for all 2020 units. The problem is most of these bikes were still sitting in dealerships or enroute, and many of the dealerships which are shitty as we know, never updated the software and the customers were sold bikes with software that was badly in need of updates.

Indian doesn't write or control, the software, its contracted out like many companies do, so they are at the mercy of these companies which most are foreign and Covid 19 shut most of the world down except the US.
When I bought my 2019 RM I contacted Indian and asked if there was a possibility of changing out the ride command so I could have the updates not possible I was told. I remember when backward compatibility was a thing. Your story makes sense. Still enjoying my ride regardless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts