Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the engine icon is on the speedometer won't work the radio goes full volume the blinkers won't reset the cruse won't work the maps are screwed up complained to dealer 2 years ago they said it was just a glitch and would reset well it did but now it won't and I am out of warranty. Does this sound like anything anyone else has experienced because dealer said it was new to them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Assuming you must be on a RM to post here. Haven't heard of something like this, and haven't had anything happen like this on mine, a 2019. What year is yours? I have read and learned here that sometimes the simplest of checks can help prevent gremlin poltergeist stuff from happening. Have you checked your battery cables and computer connectors to make sure they are all secure, tight and plugged in properly? Best recommendation to tighten your battery cables with a socket to get them good and tight on there. Other than that, it is out of my area of expertise. Others may be more knowledgeable depending on your year or their experiences, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I have a 2017 that was what I was instructed to do the first time this happened I did as dealer and you suggested and everything is tight and well connected I have checked this several times. I have had the bike in for services and had the tech remove the error code as they thought it was a glitch but now it is getting worse and worse as I plan trips and the command center corrupts the map if the error returns not to mention I have no idea how fast I am traveling. I am frustrated to say the least wish I had my springfield back and they had this electronic nightmare back.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Electronic power steering? Wow. Didn't even know that was a thing on these? Well hopefully you can try something else or someone will come along maybe that has had a similar issue and had it resolved. I don't even know if there is a way to like reset it to a prior software number, or like wipe it and start from stock and reupdate it? Have you tried to interface it with the Indian app or anything like that? I have watched a couple "how to" Ride Command vids. It's just helpful stuff to get it set up and stuff. But maybe you can find similar year bikes and ask some questions on like some YouTube videos too? Short of my favorite way to fix things, like the Soviets did and hit it with a hammer til it starts to work again, I'm not sure what else you can do. Just thinking out loud I guess. I know a Ride Command replacement is probably not an option. But it shouldn't need to be too, for what these things cost.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,095 Posts
Have you tried installing the ride command update from the website?

·
Bronze member
3,468 Posts
was this at the dealer for anything prior to your problems?... did they download anything?... Electronic Power Steering Assist?... sounds like some ghost in the machine from the Sling Shot ride command or the Razor ride command... maybe you need to call Indian direct...

Reactions: Redcorn

·
Rider
546 Posts
Mine doesn't have the power steering option, lol, but many of the malfunctioning systems you mentioned are caused by a bad wheel speed sensor. Mine went bad about a year ago, caused many of the things you mentioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jw you may have found problem I have had the abs light come on and go off since I have had the bike the dealer said it was dirt on the lens of the sensor on the front wheel. I will try to have this replaced maybe it will fix the problem I will let everyone know how it turns out. I sure appreciate all the input and advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JW thanks,and anyone else that have had simular problems with the symptoms on their ride command I described I replaced the front abs sensor which took about 30 min. the hardest thing was removing the head which is a breeze. Since the replacement no more problems found out that the electrical system is a cannabis system so one problem could provoke other problem. My advice is if you take your bike in for repairs keep close eye on problem that clears and returns as the abs sensor did because the component is more than likely bad yes you can clean the abs sensor but don't scratch on it with metal it is a magnet. I did not do this but there are scratch marks on it. Thanks again Jw you saved me money. This is a great forum for in
formation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A little while ago my bike started acting wonky; wouldn't power up properly, brake light and riding light buttons flashed while trying to power up... long story short, do what Lord Bard Prime suggested and if that doesn't fix it, get your battery load tested. These bikes are hard on their batteries. Mine had plenty of voltage and held voltage just fine, but when tested under load it failed. Swapped for a new one, boom; no more issues. My first battery was installed in mid 2017 and I had to replace it in mid 2020. If your 2017 has its original battery, I'd put money on that being the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts