Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indians weakest link. The unpredictable Ride Command. When is the mothership going to fix it once and for all ?

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Indians weakest link. The unpredictable Ride Command. When is the mothership going to fix it once and for all ?
Which year and model bike?

·
Bronze member
2,545 Posts
Haven’t had any major issues with mine. Much better than the HD Infotainment system. Have you updated the maps and software from the Ride Command website?

·
Bronze member
3,938 Posts
Looks like the 2017 - 2019 Ride Command was a Hit and reliable. Going to the Harmon Kardon version 2020+ looks to be a big mistake. As a side note Harmon Kardon also made the infotainment system on the Yamaha Eluder and it was full of flaws and glitches.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven’t had any major issues with mine. Much better than the HD Infotainment system. Have you updated the maps and software from the Ride Command website?
Yes. Got the latest update. Slow to load screens. Screen locks up sometimes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a 2020 Chieftain Limited and after updating to the latest software to enable Apple CarPlay I haven't seen any problems yet. It's been stable and much faster. The only issues I'm having at the moment is trying to update the Map software. Since I have CarPlay now I'm just going to use that navigation software on my cell but as a backup I wanted to have the latest maps from Indian. The latest map download is 23GB. For some reason my USB drive isn't liking it. I'm going to try another one later and see if that works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try another usb stick. The Indian supplied stick doesn’t want to work for map updates for some unknown reason

·
Registered
312 Posts
question for the newer bikes with ride command (mine is a 2019 RM with the original)....I noticed in the dealership that it boots much more slowly than mine. Actually made me think of the Indian marketing campaign against the HD system that took a long time to boot up. Does it stay that way, or is there a faster boot option. it would really annoy me coming from what I have now

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to 2020 RDH. Ridecommand loses connection with my phone quite often. Glad I learned you can hold down the gear for a few seconds to reset. Now I can gain back my CarPlay interface without having to stop. And yes it boots really flipping slow.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Yes. Got the latest update. Slow to load screens. Screen locks up sometimes.
I have a '17 RM, the latest updates cause similar problems for me. However, I understand the 2020 and up has some issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an 18 Limited and my wife has a 19 Classic. Overall I think the RC works well. It has wanted to take me down some questionable roads that I knew were wrong but no GPS is perfect. I found that as I became more familiar with it the more satisfied I became. I have 22k on my bike that included to 3 Flags Classic rides, Mexico to Canada and the RC was nice to have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a 2020 Chieftain Limited and after updating to the latest software to enable Apple CarPlay I haven't seen any problems yet. It's been stable and much faster. The only issues I'm having at the moment is trying to update the Map software. Since I have CarPlay now I'm just going to use that navigation software on my cell but as a backup I wanted to have the latest maps from Indian. The latest map download is 23GB. For some reason my USB drive isn't liking it. I'm going to try another one later and see if that works.
Format your USB drive for exFAT or NTFS. Its too big of a file for FAT32. You're welcome:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Format your USB drive for exFAT or NTFS. Its too big of a file for FAT32. You're welcome:)
Yeah I finally hit myself in the head enough times that I finally remembered that and once I did (exFAT) it came right over. Thank you though

·
Registered
9 Posts
question for the newer bikes with ride command (mine is a 2019 RM with the original)....I noticed in the dealership that it boots much more slowly than mine. Actually made me think of the Indian marketing campaign against the HD system that took a long time to boot up. Does it stay that way, or is there a faster boot option. it would really annoy me coming from what I have now
With this latest update it boots much faster...

From Indian;
Other improvements include:
  • Improved navigation location management
  • Improved boot time
  • Widgets fixes and an added fuel economy widget
  • Audio muting and control improvements, including navigation audio
  • Improved search functionality within navigation
  • *New map files are also available here. For riders in Europe the new map update is also required to fully unlock the improved navigation search capabilities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to 2020 RDH. Ridecommand loses connection with my phone quite often. Glad I learned you can hold down the gear for a few seconds to reset. Now I can gain back my CarPlay interface without having to stop. And yes it boots really flipping slow.
Hold down the gear for a few seconds? I haven't heard about this could you share please. Thank you brother

·
Registered
9 Posts
As you can tell from reading the other comments on here I'm having better results than most... and I didn't know that until right now.

·
Bronze member
2,545 Posts
Are you using the USB that came with the bike? That’s the one I used and had no problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts