Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2020 RM for about three months now. I'm really struggling with controlling the screens without actually touching the screen. I had a Harley Ultra Limited and never had to touch the screen to do anything.

I don't know if the problems I'm having are due to a faulty unit or poor programming on Indian's part. Am I the only person struggling with how many things on the screen can only be selected by touching the screen? Some of the things that you shouldn't have to touch the screen for are audio source, navigation adjustments, like skipping waypoints.

I have the latest firmware installed from the owner's resources web site. I have my iPhone 7 and a Sena 20 Evo paired to the Ride Command. I have tried pairing in different orders (phone first, Sena first) and turning devices on different orders (bike first, Sena first). I connect my phone with bluetooth and leave it in the truck, rather than the front cubby connected to the USB input.

My phone contacts usually don't transfer to the bike, when they do, I don't know what is different to let it happen. How do I get that to be more consistent?

On the Harley, I could push the PTT button and open up a connection to Siri. My understanding of the RM documentation is that I should be able to push the PTT/mute button and at least start a phone call. Is this a problem with my unit, my setup, or is this just not possible?. This capability is important to me because I spend a fair amount of time on roads with no shoulders and no nearby places to pull off safely. Sometimes you just have to update your family when you're on the road and you don't always get to pick the timing.

When the low fuel warning comes up and asks if I want directions to the nearest gas, it seems like I should be able to cancel or accept the directions from the trigger buttons, but the only way to make a selection is to touch the screen. Is that the way it works for everybody else also?

Thanks for your help with these questions.

Steve

·
Bronze member
3,947 Posts
I've had my 2020 RM for about three months now. I'm really struggling with controlling the screens without actually touching the screen. I had a Harley Ultra Limited and never had to touch the screen to do anything.

I don't know if the problems I'm having are due to a faulty unit or poor programming on Indian's part. Am I the only person struggling with how many things on the screen can only be selected by touching the screen? Some of the things that you shouldn't have to touch the screen for are audio source, navigation adjustments, like skipping waypoints.

I have the latest firmware installed from the owner's resources web site. I have my iPhone 7 and a Sena 20 Evo paired to the Ride Command. I have tried pairing in different orders (phone first, Sena first) and turning devices on different orders (bike first, Sena first). I connect my phone with bluetooth and leave it in the truck, rather than the front cubby connected to the USB input.

My phone contacts usually don't transfer to the bike, when they do, I don't know what is different to let it happen. How do I get that to be more consistent?

On the Harley, I could push the PTT button and open up a connection to Siri. My understanding of the RM documentation is that I should be able to push the PTT/mute button and at least start a phone call. Is this a problem with my unit, my setup, or is this just not possible?. This capability is important to me because I spend a fair amount of time on roads with no shoulders and no nearby places to pull off safely. Sometimes you just have to update your family when you're on the road and you don't always get to pick the timing.

When the low fuel warning comes up and asks if I want directions to the nearest gas, it seems like I should be able to cancel or accept the directions from the trigger buttons, but the only way to make a selection is to touch the screen. Is that the way it works for everybody else also?

Thanks for your help with these questions.

Steve

Indian changed the Ride command system with the Harmon-Kardon units for the 2020 models. 2019 and prior were made by a different company and you could do many things with the switch cube and toggle switches.

Before the covid-19 fiasco, Indian was supposed to release IOS-Car play and Android Auto on all the 2020 and newer ride command units. IMRG was hinting at this, and dealers also knew it was coming. But then it was delayed when Covid-19 struck. There has been no update on when, but the reason we probably haven't seen any new software updates for the buggy 2020 systems is they are waiting on the Carplay/Auto to be deployed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've heard it also included the '19s with a "Dealer up-gradable chip/ROM flash" For whatever reason, anything below the 19s aren't applicable.

Before the covid-19 fiasco, Indian was supposed to release IOS-Car play and Android Auto on all the 2020 and newer ride command units.

·
Bronze member
3,947 Posts
I've heard it also included the '19s with a "Dealer up-gradable chip/ROM flash" For whatever reason, anything below the 19s aren't applicable.

Never heard of that. Sounds like BS since the 2019 and earlier head units and the 2020+ are made by completely different companies.

·
Silver member
4,984 Posts
I'm not sure the Harmon Kardin upgrade happened in 2020. Do we know that for sure? I know they were going forward, but that would have been a quick change in manufacturer for the Ride Command.

Here is a video I starred in during that time! I had to keep this quiet for at least a year. It's been nearly two so I am comfortable posting it here. Harmon's system has some serious ability to a lot of cool stuff. I do make one stupid statement considering RC already does that. See if you can pick it out. And hey, I am a Springfield guy anyway....

Reactions: Baron58 and Usafle

·
Registered
545 Posts
True, they were made by different companies. Apparently it went like this: "last minute change to the new company for the 2020s but the whole entire time they were making the '19s they left a spot open on the daughter board with the intention to offer AA/Car Play as an option"

They did the same thing with the 2020s. It won't be a "flip of the switch" so to speak. You'll have to take your bike in and get the ROM/Chip (whatever techno babble it is) put onto the RC hardware.

I know of a few bikes "out there" in the wild that are 2020s and came with the ROM/chip already installed. The functionality is there but it's not yet activated. When they plug in their iPhone, it shows up as "Ride Command with CarPlay"

·
Bronze member
3,947 Posts
True, they were made by different companies. Apparently it went like this: "last minute change to the new company for the 2020s but the whole entire time they were making the '19s they left a spot open on the daughter board with the intention to offer AA/Car Play as an option"

They did the same thing with the 2020s. It won't be a "flip of the switch" so to speak. You'll have to take your bike in and get the ROM/Chip (whatever techno babble it is) put onto the RC hardware.

I know of a few bikes "out there" in the wild that are 2020s and came with the ROM/chip already installed. The functionality is there but it's not yet activated. When they plug in their iPhone, it shows up as "Ride Command with CarPlay"

Makes sense

·
Bronze member
3,947 Posts
I'm not sure the Harmon Kardin upgrade happened in 2020. Do we know that for sure? I know they were going forward, but that would have been a quick change in manufacturer for the Ride Command.

Here is a video I starred in during that time! I had to keep this quiet for at least a year. It's been nearly two so I am comfortable posting it here. Harmon's system has some serious ability to a lot of cool stuff. I do make one stupid statement considering RC already does that. See if you can pick it out. And hey, I am a Springfield guy anyway....

In one of the IMRG videos posted back in late January about all the new IMRG changes that hinted a a huge technology thing coming from Indian this spring, but then covid struck and word is it was put on hold.

Also back in late February someone who was in the know said Indian was going to launch a huge and expensive television marketing campaign and then covid struck. There was one small commercial but nothing since.

Cool stuff here and possibly they are having lots of issues getting it to work well thus the holdback.

Also Polaris big brother... LOL

One interesting thing about all this. The Yamaha Venture and Eluder bikes has systems made by this company and they have had issues and they have never been fixed for over 3 years and no fix anytime soon. Owners have resorted to contacting Harman directly with no avail. I know apples to oranges.

But there is a lot of execution for all this to work on a large scale.

·
Bronze member
3,947 Posts

The reason I think this happened is even more now, because the new 2020 units have "connected services"

From Indian: For 2020, Indian Motorcycle introduces exciting updates to their Ride Command system with Connected Services – a completely redesigned version of its industry-leading infotainment system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts