Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby and I just spent a week riding around central Florida and had a great time! The only complaint is that the stupid ride command is about 10 years behind any kind of decent GPS!!! Roads were closed for fires or accidents and we couldn’t tell it to avoid closed roads. Trying to use the system caused more frustration than it was worth. In the days of CarPlay and Waze, Indian needs to get up to speed!!!!

Any idea when they will be getting a better system?

·
Bronze member
1,854 Posts
Hubby and I just spent a week riding around central Florida and had a great time! The only complaint is that the stupid ride command is about 10 years behind any kind of decent GPS!!! Roads were closed for fires or accidents and we couldn’t tell it to avoid closed roads. Trying to use the system caused more frustration than it was worth. In the days of CarPlay and Waze, Indian needs to get up to speed!!!!

The 2020 RideCommand has traffic and weather, but a subscription is needed I believe after the honeymoon trial expires

·
German Rider
1,868 Posts
BUT any GPS is better than none.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
3,504 Posts
rumors the 2020 ride command update is going to have those or something similar... but I doubt it will be retroactive..

Reactions: LH Rizzi

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Even the newest, most up-to-date GPS will not show roads that have recently been closed due to fires or other problems, unless you have something with an internet connection that receives real-time updates.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I am expecting Waze!!! We depend on it and always an internet connection!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rumors the 2020 ride command update is going to have those or something similar... but I doubt it will be retroactive..
I would hope that the software could be updated just like a phone system? I understand that the system can work as stand-alone but most people do have a phone with a connection to use when traveling. Thanks for the info and we will keep a look out for updates. (Just FYI, personally, I am a purist and don’t want any electronic stuff on my bike - I have a SF and if I need GPS, I use my phone on a mount, but hubby likes his toys.).

·
Silver member
5,026 Posts
Back in the day we'd considered closed roads and detours part of the adventure. They could be a PIA though if there were or are time constraints. Anyways I hope you find a fix, but in the meantime I guess your stuck with just enjoying the ride ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
U

Updated my 2017 Chieftain, software and maps, works great .no issues.Hope it works out for you.
pdated my 2017

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I know what you are saying. Your problem has nothing to do with map updates it has to do with the features built into the GPS. Most GPS (even the one built into my car) has a button that says detour telling the GPS that part of the planned route is not available so it will give the option to detour around it. It you don’t have that feature the GPS is constantly telling you to go back to the section of Road that you know is unavailable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am pleased with the Ride Command GPS, and every update makes it a little better.

i have made several motorcycle trips from VA to FL trying to use Google Maps (which I love) on a Sprint phone. Believe me, SC and GA don’t know that Sprint exists! That is a pain when you are traveling smaller roads.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I am pleased with the Ride Command GPS, and every update makes it a little better.

i have made several motorcycle trips from VA to FL trying to use Google Maps (which I love) on a Sprint phone. Believe me, SC and GA don’t know that Sprint exists! That is a pain when you are traveling smaller roads.
You can download maps for offline use through Google Maps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts