Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2015 I used a then-brand-new iPod. It worked flawlessly for six years. My new (and beloved) Roadmaster doesn’t recognize the old iPod. I plug it into the USB port and it spools up, changes tracks visually, but no sound comes out. Volume is up. The iPod says it’s connected. Ride Command recognizes that a device is hooked up — just won’t play.

- alternative: iPhone. Tried that via Bluetooth but apparently that only works when you are in internet or cell tower range. No WiFi, and it just goes silent. It won’t restart automatically when I go back in range. You have to stop the bike, restart the music on my iPhone, then resume riding. PITA

So then I hardwired into the system via the usb port with my iPhone. The problem is that my iPhone does not have about sixty of my tunes that I had previously loaded on my iPod. All music was purchased on iTunes. These songs are just “lost” somehow, even tho I am using the same iTunes log-in. They are on my iPad (not talking about my iPod here) but I cannot download from my iPad to a usb stick (just not possible, allegedly). We cannot synchronize these devices via PC, either. What is on missing from my iPod and iPad simply don’t show on the PC, even tho it’s the same iTunes log-in.

Apple has of course come up with a paid solution called “Imatch.” For a nominal fee of $25 / yr (sheesh) you can synchronize everything across ten platforms. They store it in the cloud, but it sounds to me like that leads you right back to the same problem: lose your internet or cell phone coverage and you’ve lost your music.

For my techie friends, is the only solution to either do Imatch, a streaming service, or repurchase my lost tunes and then download to a USB? And i assume the streaming services go away with lost cell coverage and internet, right?

Final question: does anybody know if the latest iPod version will play on Ride Command? It may be worth another $200 to get my tunes back (but then there’s the additional download fee to pay again for tunes I have already bought once). $200 for the iPod (yes, they still make them) and then another $100 or so for my missing tunes.

whew! Life was certainly much simpler on the old bike, at least from the music angle. But I wouldn’t change the handling and power of the new bike just to have music back... Any help appreciated, folks!

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
I wish that I knew anything about iPods or iMusic. Even though I have an iPhone, I have neve put music on it. I have a '17 DH Chieftain, the last pre-Ride Command model made, so I do not have any help there.

What I do have is about 1500 tunes that I've either taken from my CDs or stripped off of YouTube videos and saved as MP3 files. If you tell me what you're missing, and if you can convert them and add them back to iPhone, I will send any of them that I have to you. I just use a USB drive for music on the DHC

Don't know if that helps. Wish I could do more.

Good luck with the two new rides ! ! !

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use Spotify on my Android. All of the songs are downloaded so no service issues. You can make several different playlists and remove or add songs whenever you want. It's 9.99 a month. It really works great.

Phil

·
Senior member / bronze
1,658 Posts
On my 2015 I used a then-brand-new iPod. It worked flawlessly for six years. My new (and beloved) Roadmaster doesn’t recognize the old iPod. I plug it into the USB port and it spools up, changes tracks visually, but no sound comes out. Volume is up. The iPod says it’s connected. Ride Command recognizes that a device is hooked up — just won’t play.

- alternative: iPhone. Tried that via Bluetooth but apparently that only works when you are in internet or cell tower range. No WiFi, and it just goes silent. It won’t restart automatically when I go back in range. You have to stop the bike, restart the music on my iPhone, then resume riding. PITA

So then I hardwired into the system via the usb port with my iPhone. The problem is that my iPhone does not have about sixty of my tunes that I had previously loaded on my iPod. All music was purchased on iTunes. These songs are just “lost” somehow, even tho I am using the same iTunes log-in. They are on my iPad (not talking about my iPod here) but I cannot download from my iPad to a usb stick (just not possible, allegedly). We cannot synchronize these devices via PC, either. What is on missing from my iPod and iPad simply don’t show on the PC, even tho it’s the same iTunes log-in.

Apple has of course come up with a paid solution called “Imatch.” For a nominal fee of $25 / yr (sheesh) you can synchronize everything across ten platforms. They store it in the cloud, but it sounds to me like that leads you right back to the same problem: lose your internet or cell phone coverage and you’ve lost your music.

For my techie friends, is the only solution to either do Imatch, a streaming service, or repurchase my lost tunes and then download to a USB? And i assume the streaming services go away with lost cell coverage and internet, right?

Final question: does anybody know if the latest iPod version will play on Ride Command? It may be worth another $200 to get my tunes back (but then there’s the additional download fee to pay again for tunes I have already bought once). $200 for the iPod (yes, they still make them) and then another $100 or so for my missing tunes.

whew! Life was certainly much simpler on the old bike, at least from the music angle. But I wouldn’t change the handling and power of the new bike just to have music back... Any help appreciated, folks!
Hey Hink, I used to have a iPod nano, it was plenty big for all the music from iTunes that I needed and my own cd’s. I don’t remember the generation the unit was but it just quit working because it was no longer supported.
So then started steaming from Pandora, lots of commercials, if you pay a monthly fee you get rid of commercials
But you still don’t have your own music.
A riding friend turned me onto Apple Music, It was already on my phone just had to sign up, I think I got 3 months free, then $9.99 mo. You can add albums, singles nearly everything just using your phone. you can also create your own play lists.
I guess one good thing you don’t have to hook phone up to computer. (iTunes). I’m figuring in my 3 months free I can add a lot of music. Then cancel a few months down the road.

Jay

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,255 Posts
Theoretically, you should be able to recover the previously purchased songs. Apple makes it difficult to copy the files from one device to another to reduce piracy. You should be able to get all your songs loaded onto your phone and use it like you used to with your iPod. I'd give you more directions but I'm an Android device guy. My wife used to have an iPod and I ran into the same thing with a bunch of playlists she built once.

·
Silver member
5,173 Posts
Hink I'm having the same issue; However, my ipod never worked on my chieftain so I use a USB Stick.
BUT ever since Apple changed to their monthly subscription I got locked out of my account for some reason and I can no longer transfer my songs from my ipod to my USB anymore: Complete BS.
I refuse to pay them a monthly / annual fee just to download music I already purchased onto my devices. I believe they have a free trial period - at least they did. So I may sign up for the free trial just to try and recover my songs and transfer them to my new devices where I need them - assuming that would work - then cancel my subscription when the free trial is up and then say so long Apple for good.
I guess the subscription is good if you download enough music. For me not so much.

I haven't tried getting songs through my Amazon Prime yet though. So if that's an option that will be my new go to.

·
Rider
643 Posts
Hink, you should be able to download the music in your phone to your phone so you can play them with no service. I’ve got all of my music down loaded to my iPhone and it doesn’t matter if I have internet or not. Also, if your iPod and your iPhone is on the same iTunes account, they should have all the same music on them. That’s puzzling that they don’t. I subscribe to Apple Music. The great thing about that is you add as much music to your library as you want, no per song charge, just $10 a month fee. Oh and another note, if a song in your library has the little cloud symbol out to the right, that means it’s not downloaded on your phone, it’s just in your library and you’re streaming it. Just tap the cloud icon to downloading and you should be able to play without service.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I stream all my music through a service called LiveXLive as I love tons of variety.

Signal is never an issue, because I can mark any album, playlist, or station for download - and I have LOTS. It periodically refreshes them automatically overnight, so it essentially is infinite music that takes almost zero battery. It will play ALL DAY even in airplane mode.

If you have a huge library you want to bring with you, just dump it all one one of those tiny USB sticks, and leave it plugged in. I don’t know RideCommand that well but my car does this.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
This is why I still buy CDs. I own all my music. I rip the CD to make backup digital copies that I store on hard drives as high res files, then convert to MP3 format and load into my phone's add on memory, as well as thumb drives for my vehicle stereos. My phone bluetooth connects to my helmet speakers, and it mounts to my bar with a wireless charging mount so it doesn't go dead on long rides. I don't like streaming services at all, not least because they don't work in remote areas.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used an older ipod on my last two Harleys. My wife used her laptop to load old 50's and 60's rock and roll CD's to the ipod and the ipod worked great on my Harleys. Then, not long ago, comes the new 2020 Challenger. My ipod won't play nuthin on the Challenger. And I did note that the owner's manual says the USB port is for an iphone i5 or later. Well, that sucks. So, my wife then loaded all my oldies to a not so old ipod nano. Well, the nano does play music on the Challenger. But it won't play ONLY from the playlist I select. First I hear one of my oldies selections then the next song is from one of the other playlists my wife already had on the nano. So forth and so on. Well, she went to Target and bought a USB stick, like the one that came with the bike only with more memory. She loaded all my old music on the USB stick--and that's the only music she loaded to that stick--and it plays fine, let's me jump around on selections, so forth and so on. Yeah, the USB stick fixed it for me. And, unlike the ipod and ipod nano I don't have to keep any battery on a USB stick charged up and I just leave the stick plugged into the bike 24/7/365 and it's there anytime I want to hear it.

·
Bronze member
1,559 Posts
You should be able to download the song files on to your phone and play from there via bluetooth or USB. When you look at your song library in Music, there will be a little cloud with an arrow pointing down next to every song. There is a way to have it download all and that issue should be resolved since the songs are now in the phone's memory and not "in the cloud." That's what I have been doing on my 2015 RM and it's worked well. Haven't paired it with the challenger, but that will happen this weekend.

Also, for those of you thinking about the Apple Music trial, I have a word of caution - I have been an iTunes user for about 15 years and have over 18K songs in my library (used to work in the music business), and personally created/curated over 30 playlists based on genre, era, artist, you name it. Signed up for the 3 month trial and at the end I canceled because I wasn't getting any value from Apple Music and their playlists/songs, plus, I already pay for Spotify. Here's the fun part - I have my phone connected to Apple CarPlay in my vehicle. When my trial period was up, I lost the ability to stream my own created playlists via CarPlay. They just went away. The songs were there, but organized by artist name only. Spent about 2 hours on the phone with Apple Support and once I got to talk to someone that knew, the answer was - Playlists are a feature of Apple Music so if you aren't paying for the service the playlists won't work - even the playlists I CREATED FROM MUSIC I OWN!!!!

Moral of the story - if you have created a lot of your own playlists and want to keep/stream them via CarPlay DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO APPLE MUSIC.

·
Administrator
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx guys for all of the great responses.

- for @Erratikmind, yes we do have Amazon Prime. Does it offer an option for music?

- for those advocating the usb sticks, how many songs does a typical one hold? We tried it with the included Indian one and it only held 32 songs. And we want to save it for routes.

Also, if your iPod and your iPhone is on the same iTunes account, they should have all the same music on them. That’s puzzling that they don’t.
yep. That’s what puzzles me, too. And no way to synchronize them (No option to do so other than thru a pc and our pc does not have them either). Apple says “some songs may not be available due to contractual changes.” Ie if I downloaded Johnny Cash once in 2012 but their contract with his family lapsed in 2020, I cannot download them to a different device. And no downloads from iPhone or iPad to USB’s. So whatever I do not have on my PC I am going to have to purchase (Ie repurchase).

·
Bronze member
1,559 Posts

- for @Erratikmind, yes we do have Amazon Prime. Does it offer an option for music?

- for those advocating the usb sticks, how many songs does a typical one hold? We tried it with the included Indian one and it only held 32 songs. And we want to save it for routes.

yep. That’s what puzzles me, too. And no way to synchronize them (No option to do so other than thru a pc and our pc does not have them either). Apple says “some songs may not be available due to contractual changes.” Ie if I downloaded Johnny Cash once in 2012 but their contract with his family lapsed in 2020, I cannot download them to a different device. And no downloads from iPhone or iPad to USB’s. So whatever I do not have on my PC I am going to have to purchase (Ie repurchase).
Standard Prime allows you to stream various Amazon music playlists, songs, etc. as part of the annual fee. Three is a separate Amazon Music Unlimited that allows you to download songs, etc. It's $7.99/mo. or $79 a year.

·
Administrator
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you look at your song library in Music, there will be a little cloud with an arrow pointing down next to every song. There is a way to have it download all and that issue should be resolved since the songs are now in the phone's memory and not "in the cloud."
I did that but I am still missing a bunch of music from my iPad. They simply do not show up on my iPhone “available” list (even with the download arrow). Apparently everything I purchased on the iPad does not show up on my “ master account.” Should’ve used the PC (and julie — my tech guru — says if I had used a Mac rather than a Dell/ Microsoft product that I may have been able to do so seamlessly). As you said Joe (and @Kaz ) Apple has quite the racket.

·
Administrator
15,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Julie says one other option might be to run the iPad (which has my complete library) from the RM trunk and the charging port there. No bagger mode for me if that’s the case ( or mebbe usb sticks in bagger mode and iPad/trunk for road trips).

·
Registered
60 Posts

Hink, I THOUGHT my wife bought the USB stick at Target and THOUGHT she bought one with more memory than the 32 whatever stick that came with the bike. I just asked her after reading your post. Yes, she did buy the stick at Target but, no, it's not bigger. The USB stick she got at Target also has 32 whatever of memory. But it has my entire playlist of 238 songs on it. That gives me about 10 hrs. of old rock and roll music.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts

HINK, I have Amazon Prime, which affords me the iPhone Amazon Music for free. I created a handful of playlists. You can either listen to your playlists on your iPhone by cellular data or download the desired playlist(s) to your iPhone for off-line use. When I ride or go off roading, I always use the off-line option, as I always enter dead spots here in the desert.

·
Registered
248 Posts

My guess as to why older iPods/iPhones do not work on the newer bike is something to do with Apple Car Play that Indian has integrated into the newer RC. Even if you dont use it or even have the addon module the cable wiring is still there for it. Since Car Play wont work on older Apple products, we are now limited to the newer stuff. Apple is notorious for making you spend money to keep things working. Just like making some songs that you have purchased not available because they have renegotiated a contract somewhere. They have no problem with making you purchase it again.

I also use a USB stick plugged in because i go many a place with little to no service and i like my tunes. A USB stick is much simpler than fiddling around with my phone and bluetooth and phone battery upkeep, etc. I suggest that to anyone, unless all of thier music is on a streaming service. How many songs can fit on a USB stick will vary depending on the size of the songs, but usually a lot. Here is a chart that gives you a pretty good idea

·
Registered
248 Posts
i just went and pulled mine off the bike to check. It is a 16GB Kingston stick. i have 813 songs on it and that is using 4.72GB of space. I would highly suggest a name brand USB stick. They are recognized by far more devices than the off brand chinese ones. Also make sure when you plug it in your computer, before you load music, format the stick to FAT32 so the bike will read it.

On Windows:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts