Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new Challenger but I am struggling to get routes that I have created on the Indian Ride Command page to work on the Ride Command screen. I have managed to upload the rides to the bike but when I press the touch screen to load the route I get the message that there is an error in calculating the route. This happens irrespective of whether I have uploaded from the Ride Command App or from the USB key and also irrespective of whether I have created the ride on the Indian ride command page or on Basecamp. Both files are saved as GPX file. Any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem here, Ride Command navigation always shows "Error calculating route. Please retry.", with the exception of one trip. Weird and definitely requiring an overhaul of the programming of the navigation part of Ride Command.
Did you resolve the problem with your Challenger?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No nothing resolved. Just waiting for the much talked about update. My Indian dealer in Switzerland doesn't know when it is arriving but Polaris mentioned that it would be sometime in the summer....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for answer. My dealer in ZH tells me the same and is not very happy with the situation. And identical answers from the dealers in VD and VS.
btw: It seems that we have the same taste, I am riding an identical Challenger (which, besides of the software bugs, is a great bike).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely great bike. Just annoying that we cannot plan routes. I am using my iPhone mounted on the handlebars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, that's most probably the way to circumvent, for the time being, the fact that Polaris is not excelling as a software house. The iPhone solution on handlebar, however, does not come close to 2nd best, unfortunately :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, that's most probably the way to circumvent, for the time being, the fact that Polaris is not excelling as a software house. The iPhone solution on handlebar, however, does not come close to 2nd best, unfortunately :-(
Afer having gone through all the posts with regard to this navigation "Error calculating route. Please try again." message, I've found an intermediary solution:

For the time being, ie until an update of the Ride Command software "digne de ce nom" is available for downloading:

Disconnect your mobile phone from the Ride Command (either from Bluetooth or USB) and the navigation works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you I will try this “solution”. Once the route is loaded maybe you can reconnect the phone by Bluetooth?

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
The Ride Command in the Challengers is a new system both hardware and software. A different vendor made the software and units for the 2019 and earlier bikes in which the ride command website and software were developed for. The 2017 - 2019 units are pretty stable and work great and were one of the main selling points when they first came out. The ride command app and software (website work) great for those units. Supposedly a big update to the entire operating system for the 2020 models including Apple Car play and android auto was supposed to drop in March, but was put on hold and there has been no update on when it will be released.

·
Bronze member
2,626 Posts
The Ride Command in the Challengers is a new system both hardware and software. A different vendor made the software and units for the 2019 and earlier bikes in which the ride command website and software were developed for. The 2017 - 2019 units are pretty stable and work great and were one of the main selling points when they first came out. The ride command app and software (website work) great for those units. Supposedly a big update to the entire operating system for the 2020 models including Apple Car play and android auto was supposed to drop in March, but was put on hold and there has been no update on when it will be released.
Then I’d have to give IM an “F” on Ride Command. Apparently there was literally no testing done before the 2020 RC release. RC can’t follow the route that was planned, can’t load routes into the bike, doesn’t know day from night, weather overlay has problems, can’t start a preplanned route from the middle of the route without going back and deleting the waypoints behind you (my 15+ year old Garmin can do this), and lastly, early 2020 production RC models have faulty screens that have to have a protective screen over the main screen.

The free nav app on my phone works better.

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
Then I’d have to give IM an “F” on Ride Command. Apparently there was literally no testing done before the 2020 RC release. RC can’t follow the route that was planned, can’t load routes into the bike, doesn’t know day from night, weather overlay has problems, can’t start a preplanned route from the middle of the route without going back and deleting the waypoints behind you (my 15+ year old Garmin can do this), and lastly, early 2020 production RC models have faulty screens that have to have a protective screen over the main screen.

The free nav app on my phone works better.
yep agree. Supposedly the 2020 units and software is made by Harmon Kardon which if true may be bad news. The Yamaha Venture/Eluder bikes have their units made by the same company and have issues as well specifically the GPS and it took 3 years to get a fix. Of course that bike was a commercial failure and there was probably not a lot of priority to fix them.

But Indian may regret switching vendors only time will tell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts