Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments on the Rhineheart Slimline Duals Header Kit On the 111??? thinking of trying them... Thanx in advance!!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
There are a few threads on the board about them. There have been issues with scraping in turns.

·
Rider
840 Posts
I just had mine installed a week ago and the crossover tube scrapes in moderate left hand turns. I need to see if I can adjust it up higher but I doubt I’ll get a lot more clearance.

Rinehart is aware of the issue and is reworking the fitment. I was told they would replace exhausts for those who have scraping issues.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I installed mine about 3 weeks ago. As far as performance and aesthetics, I love them. They sound good with the Rinehart mufflers and they look really nice on the bike. As far as installation....not so much. As @Sith Life and others have noted, the crossover pipe needs a bit of refinement. I had to cut a little bit off where the muffler slips on to the extension pipe coming from the crossover to get my left muffler to line up with the mounting holes and be level. The crossover pipe is the issue. The bends are not quite right. If I adjusted the crossover pipe to where it fit "snugly" under the bike and probably would not scrape, then the muffler wasnt aligned correctly. Even after cutting about an inch an a quarter off, I still found that I had to rotate the crossover pipe downward (ie: lower hanging) to get the muffler to fit. I do scrape when making a moderate left turn so I am hoping Rinehart does follow through and redesign the crossover. Hope this helps.

·
Silver member
4,662 Posts
On mine, I had to extend the slot on the crossover mount by 3/4" or more. This got the crossover up higher than they had designed it for. Perhaps I got a crossover that was overly bent. My left side was high enough that I had to reposition the crossover a bit to get my left side saddlebag to align and latch properly. I don't have a scraping issue.

I also had to cut a lot off of the crossover to get the Rinehart slip-on to seat on properly. The right side needed cutting as well.

The front heat shield was too long at the top where the exhaust bolts into the head. The finned trim piece did not fit without modification (grinding underneath). I did not want to trim the chrome heat shield due to it would rust. But I did have to flex it enough so it would hug the pipe to fit.

The finish is very nice, the fit was very bad. I would have sent it back if I did not have the tools and knowledge to fit the exhaust properly. I hope mine was an anomaly, for I cannot believe any one other than me would suffered through that install.

It is coming off today so I can install the Trask 2:1 performance exhaust. I imagine that one will fit perfectly. I toured Trask's facility the other week. They have a 1st class machine shop to manufacture all their products. They even have a huge computerized exhaust tube bender so all their exhaust is exact to specs. Very impressed with their quality of machines and craftsmen.

·
Registered
17’ Chieftain DH
216 Posts
On mine, I had to extend the slot on the crossover mount by 3/4" or more. This got the crossover up higher than they had designed it for. Perhaps I got a crossover that was overly bent. My left side was high enough that I had to reposition the crossover a bit to get my left side saddlebag to align and latch properly. I don't have a scraping issue.

I also had to cut a lot off of the crossover to get the Rinehart slip-on to seat on properly. The right side needed cutting as well.

The front heat shield was too long at the top where the exhaust bolts into the head. The finned trim piece did not fit without modification (grinding underneath). I did not want to trim the chrome heat shield due to it would rust. But I did have to flex it enough so it would hug the pipe to fit.

The finish is very nice, the fit was very bad. I would have sent it back if I did not have the tools and knowledge to fit the exhaust properly. I hope mine was an anomaly, for I cannot believe any one other than me would suffered through that install.

It is coming off today so I can install the Trask 2:1 performance exhaust. I imagine that one will fit perfectly. I toured Trask's facility the other week. They have a 1st class machine shop to manufacture all their products. They even have a huge computerized exhaust tube bender so all their exhaust is exact to specs. Very impressed with their quality of machines and craftsmen.
I second this, I had almost all the same problems but did not have to cut the right side pipe. I have Indian stage one mufflers, had to cut 1 inch off the cross over pipe and fitting the left side muffler fought me every step of the way. I was able to get it all lined up but I do scrape on both left and right hand turns. The front heat shield I also had to bend/twist to get it to fit but I love the sound, a snap of the throttle and she barks. Performance wise I’m happy, had no choice but to swap the clutch springs after I installed the header.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
They do sound and perform well for sure.
Quick question, is this scrapping problem something to be concerned with or can the pipes be put on aim such a way as to mitigate any scrapping?

·
Silver member
4,662 Posts
Quick question, is this scrapping problem something to be concerned with or can the pipes be put on aim such a way as to mitigate any scrapping?
I have not scrapped mine except when my air shock was all the way down. But then, I am not a floor board dragger anymore.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have not scrapped mine except when my air shock was all the way down. But then, I am not a floor board dragger anymore.
Do you still recommend the Slims over the True Duals? What are your thoughts on the American Custom's Option?

Thx

·
Silver member
4,662 Posts
Do you still recommend the Slims over the True Duals? What are your thoughts on the American Custom's Option?

Thx
Absolutely....I would rather take 30 lashes then to re-install a true dual exhaust on my bike. It killed the torque.

American custom's is restrictive with how their diverter plate is installed according to @RACNRAY. I would go with the Rinehart Slimlines or Jackpot header with American Custom's as the third chose.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Absolutely....I would rather take 30 lashes then to re-install a true dual exhaust on my bike. It killed the torque.

American custom's is restrictive with how their diverter plate is installed according to @RACNRAY. I would go with the Rinehart Slimlines or Jackpot header with American Custom's as the third chose.
Thank you. I am planning on having V Twin Performance install the Reinhart next month and this talk of scrapping has been cutting into my confidence. This helps. Any bandaid suggestions as to installation in regards to trying to gain more clearance?

·
Rider
840 Posts
Thank you. I am planning on having V Twin Performance install the Reinhart next month and this talk of scrapping has been cutting into my confidence. This helps. Any bandaid suggestions as to installation in regards to trying to gain more clearance?
tell the shop to try to get the pipes mounted as close to the frame as possible.

·
Bronze member
2,256 Posts
regardless of headers I have scraped the rears of all of my 4" body mufflers right and left when my rear was loaded or when air was leaked out.

After putting the slimline headers on I had initially some scraping on the left side (crossover bend and heat shield) and a little less on the right side at some lower header shields.

After some "real life clearancing" I am back to scraping the muffler ends depending on rear height. (and my floorboards if I am high enough in the rear!)

All in all : not a criteria at all to have any remorse! I love those headers (I used to have jackpot before ... not bad, but I like the Rinehart Slimlines even more!)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts