Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
1300cc (79") Inch Service Big Bore Kit - Revolution Performance

As many know I've been blessed to be a part of developing this very exciting product! And let me tell you, riding a scout with this excellent product, is in fact very exciting!
Give Andrew or Mellissa a call!
Get yours today!!!
Cheers!
Great folks over at Revolution Performance. I’ve know Rodney and Mellissa Shrum for years. Truly some of the best people I’ve ever met. They build high quality products and stand behind them and the customers.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
That's awesome. Now that I'm mostly settled from moving, and making money again I plan on getting back to modding the bike. This is definitely on the list.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hatt,
Have you seen an impact on your range/gas mileage?
Thanks.
Yes. But negligible.. I sometimes saw 135 on a tank. Averaged 125.. I still average the 125, but haven't seen the 135 since, but
A. Could be me reaching further in as I now more often tend to do.
B. I'm still working out my fuel mapping... I KNOW I'm rich at low rpms..
So in short, I hadn't noticed a difference as far as everyday use ability concerning MPG.

·
Bronze member
2,731 Posts
Yall post with me on Revolution Performance's Facebook page - in the Scout BB "thread" on their Facebook page - encouraging RP to release their PVCX tune to FM or DJ or offer it with the kit ..

Without the PVCX tune, the kit is worthless unless you live near RP, DJ, or FM - and only if DJ or FM will accept the challenge of full spectrum tuning for it !

I know there are a lot of us totally "fed up" with companies producing performance parts that are useless to the vast majority of us...

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the enthusiasm!
But....
There is a good reason why they don't..
On this forum, We have seen canned maps not work on some bikes.. the user would down load a canned Map, then would have issues with with bike with new tune..
Touching on that, is the same reason why we see this and is why it's not yet conducive at this time, to just provide a tune..
It's not dyno jet.. it's not revolution, it's not fuel moto... it's Indian..
There are 25-30 different ECM types according to database.
some code in them is not compatible to others..
So even if they did furnish a tune, there is a likely chance it will not work..
This is why if you look on djs web site for the Scout, it prompts a customer to upload your original Map, so they know what ECM type you have.. and then they develop a tune from the original file..

Also, any decent tuner can make a Map on a power vision.. The power vision is not more difficult. It's more thorough, but not more difficult..
Also, I advise any to get a tune in their area, using their own bike.. this always provides a much better result.

·
Bronze member
2,731 Posts
Love the enthusiasm!
But....
There is a good reason why they don't..
On this forum, We have seen canned maps not work on some bikes.. the user would down load a canned Map, then would have issues with with bike with new tune..
Touching on that, is the same reason why we see this and is why it's not yet conducive at this time, to just provide a tune..
It's not dyno jet.. it's not revolution, it's not fuel moto... it's Indian..
There are 25-30 different ECM types according to database.
some code in them is not compatible to others..
So even if they did furnish a tune, there is a likely chance it will not work..
This is why if you look on djs web site for the Scout, it prompts a customer to upload your original Map, so they know what ECM type you have.. and then they develop a tune from the original file..

Also, any decent tuner can make a Map on a power vision.. The power vision is not more difficult. It's more thorough, but not more difficult..
Also, I advise any to get a tune in their area, using their own bike.. this always provides a much better result.
DFW area ( over 2500 sq miles ) has no PVCX+ME17 capable dyno + a capable PVCX dyno tuner. If the forum is any measure, we see that only a very few shops in this country can do full spectrum PVCX tuning.

One of our (DFW's) noted tuning shop and tuner attempted PVCX + ME17 tuning one year ago. He had to call DJ for assistance in hooking up the bike , PVCX, and his dyno ! Thru many personal talks with this man, I came to find that, basically, from the moment you roll an Indian onto your dyno to the moment you roll it off - nothing about Power Vision, Delphi, software interface, and procedures from doing Harley's every day, is of any use.. He gave up after several weeks of "fooling" with it.. This man knows, theoretically, everything that needs to be "done" but that the differences were significant enough that he said he is going to have to wait for DJ training before he has any clue HOW it can be done..

If Harley Power Vision tuning had any similarities to PVCX Indian tuning, we would not be having this conversation. And I would already have outfitted my 111's with VP60's and gotten a great PVCX tune from my local dyno shop (Where I spend a good deal of time tuning my other bikes..)

Arsenal Racecraft's 117 kit includes a PVCX "preloaded with an Arsenal Racecraft Performance Map" ..

Revolution Performance must determine a method of supporting the kit with proper PVCX tuning - or accept that the customer base for the kit is pretty much relegated to their own neighborhood..

At the very least, give the data to FM or DJ so that the kit will sell well world wide...... ?

Hatt, both of us support RP - They were unaware of the difficulty in getting a quality PVCX tune - If you can help RP determine how to provide a proper tune with the kit, for the sake of the kit's success, you should..

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it was that easy, and I could, you know I would. But I think when you have a different "language code" going on with the scouts coding and the fact that it's a different ball game than HD stuff, we will have a learning curve.. when I look at my files I see what is very OBDII ish..
The map could easily be shared like with canned maps, but the different keying of the Scout ECMs is the issue. I know nothing of the TAgs.
The file from the first kit they developed, did not load properly on to mine. One table went from right to left, for one bike, and left to right on the other for example
All the respective bin settings were the same numerically, but arranged differently, in simplest terms.

I'm surprised you have such a shortage of capable tuners in your area! I have 5 in a 40 mile radius from me!

·
Bronze member
2,731 Posts
I am equally surprised that you have 5 PVCX ready shops, with 5 C3 guru's, in your area ! Do they have a presence in this forum ? I have run into shops that claim PVCX capability - one of which is a dealer that does not have a Dyno yet sells and installs the PVCX with "some kind" of tune - at least in one case, with horrible results !

Regardless, underestimating/downplaying the lack of competent/proven PVCX tuning shops nationwide is counter productive.

If giving the tune to FM/DJ is not workable, perhaps RP should take a kitted Scout to FM/DJ for "canned" tune development..

It can't be that difficult to solve this problem as this problem is solved constantly by FM and DJ on a daily basis.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was one further out in western Wisconsin that was a member but be damned if I remember his name.
As I understand it, both my Indian dealers are equipped. There is an outfit in Oshkosh and there is Fuel. I don't think "gurus" are quite what this takes. Yes it's more involved than a typical HD tune but this isn't out of the realm of any other modern dohc liquid cooled bike. I Have bigger slugs and a filter, at the basic it just needs more fuel. Id bet someone could get this to work with even a piggy back, but I digress. No matter the level of guru, we need to over come the varying ECM code dilemma that is the actual problem and why canned tune is not yet available.

·
Rider
713 Posts
And yes I have trouble finding a dyno PVCX tuner out in California. Closes place I was recommended too that does PVCX tunes is Mickey Cohen Motorsport but that 224 miles from me :(
All other places wanted to get PCV

·
Bronze member
2,731 Posts
There was one further out in western Wisconsin that was a member but be damned if I remember his name.
As I understand it, both my Indian dealers are equipped. There is an outfit in Oshkosh and there is Fuel. I don't think "gurus" are quite what this takes. Yes it's more involved than a typical HD tune but this isn't out of the realm of any other modern dohc liquid cooled bike. I Have bigger slugs and a filter, at the basic it just needs more fuel. Id bet someone could get this to work with even a piggy back, but I digress. No matter the level of guru, we need to over come the varying ECM code dilemma that is the actual problem and why canned tune is not yet available.

RP aside, it is unlikely there are any WinPep8, C3 equipped dynos and competent C3 tuners available in your area. You might double check those dealerships - as the equipment necessary is expensive, the knowledge of how to use a PVCX with the C3 software to tune an Indian does not come cheap or easy, and the net effect of this capability is to violate warranties !

PCV tuning is crude and inferior - and should not be used as argument against RP providing "tune support" for the PVCX tune they've already created for the BB kit. Scout 60 owners cannot use the PCV , as only the PVCX can defeat the S60 detune - so you can count them out as potential customers for the kit..

Again, attempts to trivialize the fact that a competent PVCX dyno tune is unavailable to the vast majority of American Scout owners does not serve the interests of RP. Also, attempting to trivialize this problem will not make it go away - RP kit sales will suffer - and we will continue doing what we've been forced to do for years, only buying the components we can get a DJ or FM PVCX tune for..

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RP aside, it is unlikely there are any WinPep8, C3 equipped dynos and competent C3 tuners available in your area. You might double check those dealerships - as the equipment necessary is expensive, the knowledge of how to use a PVCX with the C3 software to tune an Indian does not come cheap or easy, and the net effect of this capability is to violate warranties !

PCV tuning is crude and inferior - and should not be used as argument against RP providing "tune support" for the PVCX tune they've already created for the BB kit. Scout 60 owners cannot use the PCV , as only the PVCX can defeat the S60 detune - so you can count them out as potential customers for the kit..

Again, attempts to trivialize the fact that a competent PVCX dyno tune is unavailable to the vast majority of American Scout owners does not serve the interests of RP. Also, attempting to trivialize this problem will not make it go away - RP kit sales will suffer - and we will continue doing what we've been doing for years, only buying the components we can get a DJ or FM PVCX tune for..
First, I acknowledge your knowledge in this field. Second, I agree on the superiority, also the 60 detune access.. but I don't know any more than what I was explained, and what I've been told by these outfits.. that all said, still the biggest issue for a canned Map being released for this has NOTHING to do with whos got what dyno. As I said originally, it's not DJ, it's not RP. it is Indian and the ECMs.. again, it's Indian and the ECMs.
It's like your saying they should not sell a product because SOME folks may have to take a day trip for a tune, which with respect, Is what find trivial.
when I First started riding I had to take all my bikes on a day trip for tune because there wasn't any dynos of any kind around my area that did anything but a Harley., but again, that's not the hang up. share ability is the primary issue. I'm not trivializing the issue.. I'm just having a hard time understanding the perspective that others are facing with a lack of tuners (not saying that's not the case for some) and/or ones drive to attain a tune for something very special.. but really I'm basically saying welcome to being at the tip of the spear and pioneering a un blazed product trail and by being an early Indian owner. Again, if it was as simple as including a thumb drive with a map or a loaded PCXV, that's exactly what they would have done. I'm sure they would love to up the profit margin by doing so, who wouldn't...
So worse case scenario, this product is for the serious enthusiast or a mediocre driver with a trailer hitch, who's not afraid of getting their hands dirty, or driving a bit for something special.. or maybe because I am a driven person who has done more for even less in the past for my passion, I am trivializing, but if I am, it's because I have driven very far, for much less when pertaining to motorcycle and car performance and getting what I needed for them.. I don't think this will be that much of a hurdle for most of those that are interested or ok with their bikes and engine being torn apart for 30% more performance, and nor should it be..
Me personally, all diplomacy aside.. I don't even use canned maps when I change exhausts or filters. they are never "better" or as smooth as the factory tunes on a Factory bike.. they always have "spots", so I've always went with custom tunes even for simple bolt ons, so wouldn't even dream of doing so with this mod, but again I acknowledge, that's ME..
If a Scout owner is OK with a less thorough means of tuning, all the older piggy backs that can add more fuel to a bike will get them where they want. As for a 60, well, at this Point it's not marketed for 60 owner's. it was developed for Scout 69 owners. They are currently looking in to the mechanics of the interchange between their kit and the 60. One step at a time..
Cheers!

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok the big question... what are your numbers? HP/ torque

And don’t say you gained 30% lol
29.9%

Ha! All jokes aside, my base run was with V&H slash cut slip ons and Factory air box/filter and Factory header pipes:

82.4hp @7.2k rpm
65.7 ftlbs @5.7k rpm

With BB kit, S&S air filter V&H slipons and Factory header pipe:
[email protected] 7.3k rpm
[email protected] 5.8k rpms.

It is phukin amazing to ride! WELL worth your drive if the PCXV method is desired..

1 - 20 of 79 Posts