Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 11” medium tint from Freedom installed yesterday and took a ride. I’m 5’10” tall. With it down I look well over the shield and get a nice bit of breeze with no buffeting at speeds under 50mph. Over 50mph I raised it about half way up and there was a very nice pocket of wind free area and Absolutely no buffeting still looking over the shield about 1 1/2”. With the shield all the way up I look through the shield about an inch under the top of shield and no wind whatsoever. Should be good for rain and the shield is not so dark it would be a problem seeing through. There is absolutely no distortion when looking through the shield which I would rarely do. Final thought. The added 2 inch Width and the recurve make a huge difference with wind management over the stock shield. Very happy with the 11” medium tint Freedom Shield and it looks fantastic on my Sandstone Smoke DH.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I received mine yesterday, got it on today. Excellent quality and workmanship! Ordered a 9" originally but switched to an 11" clear. I also have the extended seat which raises the rider up an inch, so it worked out well. For me, I think it would have been to tall with the factory seat, for me. Here is a few pictures of it on the bike and one comparing it to the Indian/Klockwerks shield. Really like it so far, but haven't put any miles on with it to speak of. Nice pocket of calm air! 20200715_205842.jpg 20200716_170419.jpg 20200716_170226.jpg 20200716_170856.jpg 20200716_170020.jpg 20200716_170528.jpg

·
Registered
184 Posts
Overall, I agree with tailgunnner's assessment.
Although I would give the Klockwerks shield a slight edge in wind management.
But I had to ride with the Klockwerks all the way up all the time which left no adjustment for getting caught in the rain.
The sweet spot with the Freedom shield for me is about 1" up - when I can just see a bit of the cutout over the dash.
This leaves plenty of adjustment to raise it up when I get caught out in the rain.
Very pleased with the shield - perfect fit and great quality.
Plus it looks better on the bike than the Klockwerks did.

IMG_0410.JPG IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0413.JPG

·
Registered
197 Posts
It sounds like we’re all pretty consistent with positive impressions of the Freedom Shield!
I’m 5’9”. Stock seat. The 11” shield had me looking directly at the top edge when full down. Switched to 9” light gray ...Perfect. Owners John & Deb at Freedom are GREAT to work with ...just good people running an impressive small biz. Next I’m going to have them do a custom design etching on this shield (they recently added that option with a new laser engraver.)

Their shields are a bit thicker than others, & use an impact-modified acrylic for great optical clarity (vs polycarbonate), 5yr warranty vs 1yr other brands, and I agree >>the wider than stock design looks good and DOES create a wider area of clean air.
Ride On guys.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
I should get my 9" Medium in a week or 2, I'm very excited!

Reactions: tailgunner

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very simple. Put windshield in the fully up position. Remove Allen head bolts that hold windshield on. Remove windshield, put new shield in place and bolt back on. I would suggest putting a piece of tape over the square captured nuts that the Allen head bolts screw into, keeping them in place, so you don’t drop and lose them in the fairing. Took all of 5 minutes to swap shield.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very simple. Put windshield in the fully up position. Remove Allen head bolts that hold windshield on. Remove windshield, put new shield in place and bolt back on. I would suggest putting a piece of tape over the square captured nuts that the Allen head bolts screw into, keeping them in place, so you don’t drop and lose them in the fairing. Took all of 5 minutes to swap shield.
Thank you. Mine shipped yesterday

·
Registered
460 Posts
I immediately noticed a difference once installed much better wind management. 12" would have been a perfect option for me but will make the 11" work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I made a mistake in ordering mine.. I was told the factory shield was 11" and I wanted 3-4 inches more, so I ordered the 15". Turns out both measure the shield differently. Indian measures from the bottom of the shield's winglets, Freedom measures from the center bolt hole. The 15" is actually 18" if measured by Indian's standard, which to me was too tall.

Just be careful in measuring prior to ordering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I made a mistake in ordering mine.. I was told the factory shield was 11" and I wanted 3-4 inches more, so I ordered the 15". Turns out both measure the shield differently. Indian measures from the bottom of the shield's winglets, Freedom measures from the center bolt hole. The 15" is actually 18" if measured by Indian's standard, which to me was too tall.

Just be careful in measuring prior to ordering.
If you call Freesom they will explain it pretty well and give you an idea of what size you may want to go with. Definitely need to be careful though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi... so the 9” Freedom is the same height as the 11” stock Indian shield? I like the stock height, looking for better wind management.

Rick?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
Hi... so the 9” Freedom is the same height as the 11” stock Indian shield? I like the stock height, looking for better wind management.

Rick?
I was in the same boat so I ordered the 9". I should have it in a week or 2 so I can let you know then. From what I can tell, the 9" freedom should be slightly taller (0.5" or so) than the factory included.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Most every shield maker is in synch measuring from the top center bolt, except Indian (KlockWerks?) It’s stupid & confusing to everyone.
Simple... the diff between bottom of shield (Indian) and top center bolt is about 3”.
So the OEM 11” Indian shield is what others label an 8” shield.
My 9” Freedom Shield is about 1” taller than the OEM shield .... with the top flare & 2” wider design, the clean air pocket is noticeably improved vs stock. Add to that: (most) other shield makers use a polycarbonate shield that is vacuum sucked into a shaped form. Looking thru a few of those I see areas of distortion. 1yr warranty. Freedom uses an optically clear thicker acrylic (modified for high-impact) that is hand-pressed into the forms. I’ve watched them do this at their shop... it’s a slow process! But the results can be seen in the ultra smooth curves and no distortion. And they polish the edges so smooth they appear black. 5yr warranty.

*btw, the Freedom site tells us they measure from top center bolt.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
Here's the 9" Freedom up against the factory windshield. The fitment and quality of the shield are great! I got the medium but I'm wondering if I should have went with the light. It looks great on the bike but I want to get it out at night to know if it's too dark or not.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,422 Posts
90+% of the time I look over the windshield so I think it'll be ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts