Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if Thunderstroke has a rev limiter?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Yes. I believe it is set at 5000 rpm factory. You can alter it with a new flash tune.

·
Silver member
3,409 Posts
I've never ran mine up to the limiter nor have I ever wanted to. I think maybe 4000 rpm is the highest my Chieftain has ever been to. Since the Stage Two Cams have boosted the low end torque I haven't felt any need to wring-out my motor like that. Maybe it's just me but that's how I like to ride.
Never raced anyone? I have hit the limiter and it will cause you to loose the race. I just race the wife occasionally.

·
Bronze member
1,634 Posts
Factory rev limiter kicks in at 5400 RPM. Most 111's make peak H.P. at around 4800 RPM. From that point till the rev limiter kicks in there is a gradual drop off of power. A good shift point in a "racing" situation would be no higher than 5000 RPM.

Here is an interesting dyno graph of 2 different skoots. The RED run is my Kawi 1700 from it's last dyno session in Dec 2015 (95,000 miles at that time!!!), the BLUE run is from my Indian in Dec 2016. Both had modified intakes, the Kawi had a F/P 2-1 exhaust, the Indian had my modified exhaust. The Kawi is a 1700cc engine with modern short stroke/big bore, 4 valve heads, 2 barrel throttle body design. The Kawi's curves are not quiet as linear as the Indian's but both make similar peak torque amounts at 3000 RPM. With the Kawi's improved breathing of the 4 valve design peak power is achieved at a higher rpm and TO a higher RPM. The Indian peaks at 4800, the Kawi at bout 5400.

The Indian drops to 82.6 H.P. at 5400 RPM (disregard the fact I have the rev limiter set 200 RPM higher than stock) for a 4.64 H.P. loss from peak power, the Kawi drops to 86.39 for a 1.64 H.P. loss from peak. The Kawi is not too shabby with 95,000 miles and an engine 111cc smaller!

A mod I have since done to the Indian was to replace the de-plugged stock mufflers with Bassani slip-ons which really woke the skoot up. A new dyno session is forth coming to compensate for the slip-ons and a revised intake design. We shall see what if any changes to the quality/quantity of power and perform a new tuning session.

RACNRAY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts