Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Chief Vintage: There is a very small return spring (approx. 1/8" dia, 1/2" long) encapsulated in the front brake lever assembly. If you hyper-extend your lever forward you will distort the spring (example: while backing out the bike, you catch the lever on a stationary object and hyper-extend the lever forward). The result is a lever that flops forward beyond the original limits and fails to return to it's original resting position. To disassemble the lever, you must remove the cir-clip retainer and pull the pivot pin. Good practice includes replacing the cir-clip during reassembly.

My Indian dealer priced the spring at $12 US. Additionally, you cannot buy the cir-clip alone, but must purchase the clip and pivot pin as a package for $12.95 US.

However, Ace is the place, and charges 40 cents for a spring that works and 25 cents for cir-clip that is an exact match. Ace did not mandate that I replace my perfectly good pivot pin.

I'm not here to argue corporate pricing margins. I'm just here to help out others that might also be on a fixed income.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thank you Sir for that info. Polaris does not make every part of our bikes and they buy a lot of parts and mark them up. They all do it it's just some mark it up higher than others.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but for the sake of anyone else who is plumbing the depths of the forum, here's a tiny nugget:
If you don't mind springing for the leather lever wraps from Indian ($45ish) they come with a new spring, c clip and adjustment knob. (The knob has 3 positions instead of the stock 5) Plus now you have new leather wrapped levers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but for the sake of anyone else who is plumbing the depths of the forum, here's a tiny nugget:
If you don't mind springing for the leather lever wraps from Indian ($45ish) they come with a new spring, c clip and adjustment knob. (The knob has 3 positions instead of the stock 5) Plus now you have new leather wrapped levers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just brought home my 2016 RM and, after messing with the C Clip and brake assembly, the stock adjustment knob had 3 settings...seems like this was something that could have been checked before taking the brake assembly apart.

Anyhow, for those replacing the knob, check the stock adjustment knob to verify it is a 5 position knob, not the 3 position that you are intending to install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts