Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my toy(2016 beautiful Vintage). Got a toy hauler. Got a big ass truck(Dodge 2500 6.4 Hemi) to haul the toy hauler with the toy inside. And I have a great partner.
I am semi retired and in 4 years the wife can retire. I hit her up a while ago with this idea of taking off for weeks at a time, going places to ride. I used to do cross country rides often, but life and mortality put an end to those. However there are places I remember wanting to ride again. I don't fully remember why they were so great any more, I just remember they were and I want to ride them again. I was quite surprised when she got SO excited with the idea. So we set ourselves up to "experiment" with long weekends and week long trips to see if it's really what we want to do. She is in charge of planning, I am in charge of mechanics. First trip---May 9. Campground in Tejera, NM at the base of the Turquoise Road and a road into Cibola National Park. 5 days of riding and visiting friends in Albuquerque.
After that, she has never been to Yellowstone or Badlands. She has never been down the PCH1. It's unlimited.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,158 Posts
Awesome plan and nice rig!

My father and I are in the middle of building his winter retirement home from scratch in the back of a 16 ft GMC Savana. He has specifically designed it for riding and parking his motorcycle right up the middle. Dialed back on the accommodations and dialed up on the workspace but he's also not married so roughin' it is much easier. A few years from now, once retired, he'll be cruising around the states in this thing, chopper in the back, campin' in the canyons and rippin' around on the bike all day every day.

IMG_20190330_172559.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Good for you awesome plan. I’m retiring next Labor Day myself. I’ve been touring lower 48 for years. Endless possibilities too much to see but that doesn’t mean you should stop trying. I’ve made all you mentioned your in for a great ride. Be careful and roll safe !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got my toy(2016 beautiful Vintage). Got a toy hauler. Got a big ass truck(Dodge 2500 6.4 Hemi) to haul the toy hauler with the toy inside. And I have a great partner.
I am semi retired and in 4 years the wife can retire. I hit her up a while ago with this idea of taking off for weeks at a time, going places to ride. I used to do cross country rides often, but life and mortality put an end to those. However there are places I remember wanting to ride again. I don't fully remember why they were so great any more, I just remember they were and I want to ride them again. I was quite surprised when she got SO excited with the idea. So we set ourselves up to "experiment" with long weekends and week long trips to see if it's really what we want to do. She is in charge of planning, I am in charge of mechanics. First trip---May 9. Campground in Tejera, NM at the base of the Turquoise Road and a road into Cibola National Park. 5 days of riding and visiting friends in Albuquerque.
After that, she has never been to Yellowstone or Badlands. She has never been down the PCH1. It's unlimited.
The Bru...You have picked an ideal time to revisit NM. Today, in Tijeras where I'm sitting in my living room, the sky is blue, sun is shining, and the hummingbirds are working on their feeder. I have a log home with extra bedrooms and want to offer you an alternative to camping. If you are bringing your truck and trailer, there is plenty of space for them. Three Indians in my garage but space for one more. Call me if interested.
Brian Dean 505-223-7238

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Bru...You have picked an ideal time to revisit NM. Today, in Tijeras where I'm sitting in my living room, the sky is blue, sun is shining, and the hummingbirds are working on their feeder. I have a log home with extra bedrooms and want to offer you an alternative to camping. If you are bringing your truck and trailer, there is plenty of space for them. Three Indians in my garage but space for one more. Call me if interested.
Brian Dean 505-223-7238
Now that is what I'm talking about Brian!!! That is a hell of an offer and I do really appreciate it. But this is our maiden voyage and we really want to try out the whole experience, from checking in to setting up to breaking down...…… But Dude, that is fantastic. Thanks again. Maybe a ride??? How is the Turquoise Trail?? Man I just can't wait.

·
Bronze member
1,063 Posts
@TheBru I have similar retirement plans, but that is about 8 years away.. at best
(Damn poor Investment choices)

Great start in seeing what works for you, and starting off the way you are - leaves options for the future !!
Good on ya !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Now that is what I'm talking about Brian!!! That is a hell of an offer and I do really appreciate it. But this is our maiden voyage and we really want to try out the whole experience, from checking in to setting up to breaking down...…… But Dude, that is fantastic. Thanks again. Maybe a ride??? How is the Turquoise Trail?? Man I just can't wait.
The Turquoise Trail (N Hwy 14) is very popular with bikers and several good places to stop. The village of Cerillos is the location of the original turquoise mine and is still in use having also a gift shop and petting zoo. 5 miles south of Cerrillos is the town of Madrid (pronounced maah'drid) where the movie Wild Hogs was filmed. Great place for food, drinks and unique shopping. From Santa Fe to Tijeras the road is mostly one lane each direction with some twistys and some hills. Give me a call at your convenience...I'd love to ride with you.

Brian

·
Rider
811 Posts
Congrats on the semi-retirement! My wife and I want to do something similar but at the moment we have family to take care of.

Wish you and your partner the best in your travels. Make every moment count. I was stationed in CO from 2004-2007 and that was some of the best riding. Never made it to NM but went to all the NPs out that way and it was the best. I hope to make it to Madrid, NM some day.

Good luck! Sounds like a solid plan.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brian Dean 505-223-7238
Well, doesn't look like a ride is happening. Lunch??

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I am not quite there yet. But, the wife and I plan some bike touring vacations in the coming years. And, I can see I need to plan for a much larger garage.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I wish, to all those that are eligible for retirement, good health.

Well, to everyone, but you get what I am after here, right??

4T

·
Rider
381 Posts
7882EAA7-B3D4-4E5A-B30D-5CCB0556A62A.jpeg
Been towing my bikes behind our 24’ Class C for 3+ years now and it just does not get much better than that. We travel to awesome locations, unload the bike from my own private traveling garage (cargo trailer) and ride some of the finest roads in America.

At the end of the ride we have all of the comforts of home then get up the next day and do it again. New Mexico is amazing especially
the southern Rockies (Taos, Angel Fire, Red River etc). Don’ miss southern Colorado though it is a short season at the higher elevations.

:)

·
Bronze member
1,495 Posts
View attachment 488350 Been towing my bikes behind our 24’ Class C for 3+ years now and it just does not get much better than that. We travel to awesome locations, unload the bike from my own private traveling garage (cargo trailer) and ride some of the finest roads in America.

At the end of the ride we have all of the comforts of home then get up the next day and do it again. New Mexico is amazing especially
the southern Rockies (Taos, Angel Fire, Red River etc). Don’ miss southern Colorado though it is a short season at the higher elevations.

Nice. What mileage do you get? Diesel or gas?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,498 Posts
View attachment 488350 Been towing my bikes behind our 24’ Class C for 3+ years now and it just does not get much better than that. We travel to awesome locations, unload the bike from my own private traveling garage (cargo trailer) and ride some of the finest roads in America.

NOT JEALOUS :mad:

·
Rider
811 Posts

Looks like the perfect setup. Definitely what I will be looking for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts