Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good idea. I do bring along a bag to put my dirty clothes in and put them in with my clean clothes so no extra room needed but never used as a pillow. My pillow squashes down pretty good. My brother uses a air pillow which rolls up pretty small. I forgot I have a self inflating mattress that is a foam mattress that expands with air and keeps me from the hard ground and goes on the luggage rack. VERY nice to have.!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Besides the tent what other camping gear do you use, since space and weight capacity is so limited on a motorcycle? Also if you don't know when you become 62 years old you can purchase an America The Beautiful pass for $80. It is good for your lifetime and gets you in free to National Parks and some other places that are ran by the National Parks Service.
I didn't know and will purchase

·
Registered
53 Posts
Now you are the one putting on the miles. I am thinking I will be doing 20- 25,000 a year? I will be doing other things I enjoy as well but will try to do those on days that aren't great for riding. I bought mine used January of 2018 so just one season on it. We get very limited riding here in April and May and then done by the end of October.
Come out west and enjoy best year round riding.

Most of my riding, two week trip for example I try to seek where I can eat. I ride alone most trips and I don't belong to a club. I have celiac=wheat/gluten allergy and I routinely lose approximately +5 lbs in two weeks riding. I feel that it's too much of an inconvenience to others because I can't trust 99% of the restaurants out there. I'm accustomed to hunger when riding but soon enough it wears on the mind and physical strength. I would have bring a small backpack stove/burner and hope for close proximity to a store for perishable foods. Trail mix and fruit are good for a couple days then the body needs protein. When I chance restaurants I usually get sick and there's nothing worse when riding. Holiday Inn Express offers enough gluten free options that I can stuff myself with yogurt, hard boiled eggs, bacon, fruit, and coffee then ride. A gas stop or two later I'll eat fruit and ride. Lmao. It sucks but it doesn't prevent me from riding away. I'm at 204 lbs now and can be 196 lbs in two weeks?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My dream to retire is still alive and at least 2 and 1/2 years away. I'm saving up for a used Springfield and DMC Tomahawk SE. I figure around $15 to 16 thousand for the bike and $12.5 thousand for sidecar. With the added weight and wind resistance approximately what kind of gas mileage do you get with a Springfield and Tomahawk SE side car?

·
Rider
879 Posts
My dream to retire is still alive and at least 2 and 1/2 years away. I'm saving up for a used Springfield and DMC Tomahawk SE. I figure around $15 to 16 thousand for the bike and $12.5 thousand for sidecar. With the added weight and wind resistance approximately what kind of gas mileage do you get with a Springfield and Tomahawk SE side car?
If your location was in yer Profile... we could be more help I bet...
we have a Local Vintage with Hannigan Heritage Hack Available... Not Mine!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If your location was in yer Profile... we could be more help I bet...
we have a Local Vintage with Hannigan Heritage Hack Available... Not Mine!
I'm from Schenectady, NY and thought my profile said that. I do have my heart set on getting an used Springfield in great shape (to save some money) and a Tomahawk SE sidecar. I just love the look and features of it. Thanks

·
Bronze member
1,250 Posts
*** solar garden lamps are great for camping, if you can find a space to place on your bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Twist it, how is your retirement trip planning going? Yours's sounds a lot like mine. Wife retires next year, I retired one year earlier that I planed. We are big history buffs so our big trip is the Lewis and Clark trail. We also plan to camp most of it. I'm not a big breakfast guy till about ten in the morning but, gotta have my joe! Small coffee pot and small stove (for when fires are not allowed) is only extra luxury.
We got our side car for our Vintage in Dec. But with work and the plague, haven't been able to do a road trip till a few weeks ago. Did a three day trip to Trail of Tears ride in north Alabama. I concluded we have plenty of room for necessities (coffee pot included;)). Yes we plan on lots of short overnighters to stream down if possible. We've done long rides before when wife had her trike, LA to LA. (Lower Alabama to Los Angeles) but that was all hotels.
My biggest concern is GAS. No, gasoline. With the side car we can only do just over 100 miles. While that's good news for stiff joints, not so good for looking for a gas station in the middle of nowhere. Funny how the gas stations are farther apart the lower your gas gauge is. I don't know if you've see the posts about gas mileage with the side car. Lots of factors come in to play. Sidecar drag, extra weight from load, AND... When you fill up your bike is not tilted on side stand. This limits amount of fuel you can put in the tank. At least 1/2 gallon less. So I'm only running 3 gallons at a time instead of the full 4. Thinking of adding a rack to sidecar trunk lid to strap on a gas can. At the least I will take a one liter bottle with me.
Thanks for the tip about the Beautiful America Pass for the parks, I'll look into that. DY ☠

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Enjoy your retirement, sounds like you have great plans and have the bike and sidecar. I'm still saving for my purchase and have decided to sell my Kawasaki ZXI1100 Jetskiis in the spring or summer. The money from the sale can go towards the bike and sidecar plus there will be room in my garage for the bike and sidecar. Looking online at used bikes, seen quite a few with less then 10 thousand miles for around $16000. I'm hoping to get the royal blue and light silver color Springfield.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Twist it, good choice on the Springfield. The hard bags will help on the long trips. Lots of good deals out there. Don't be in a hurry. I had never bought new till I saw our Vintage in 2015. Fell in lust with the W-green & cream. Was scared to death they would only have it that year so jumped on it. Who knew it would last this long? I've actually seen them (2015) for as low as $13000!
I don't know where you are. We got a Hannigan sidecar through Music City Indian in Nashville. Great bunch of guys and we are very happy with the sidecar. (wife sold her trike to get it and she has no regrets). It's quick disconnects comes in handy for taking bike in for service (recalls).
In my experience, half the fun is in the planning. Enjoy. If I can provide anymore thoughts (a penny) or advice (free) give me a shout.
And hey, "lets be careful out there."
DY ☠

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
729 Posts
That is awesome! You have taken a huge step towards Living your dream.

·
Registered
2016 Indian Scout
75 Posts

Twist it, good choice on the Springfield. The hard bags will help on the long trips. Lots of good deals out there. Don't be in a hurry. I had never bought new till I saw our Vintage in 2015. Fell in lust with the W-green & cream. Was scared to death they would only have it that year so jumped on it. Who knew it would last this long? I've actually seen them (2015) for as low as $13000!
I don't know where you are. We got a Hannigan sidecar through Music City Indian in Nashville. Great bunch of guys and we are very happy with the sidecar. (wife sold her trike to get it and she has no regrets). It's quick disconnects comes in handy for taking bike in for service (recalls).
In my experience, half the fun is in the planning. Enjoy. If I can provide anymore thoughts (a penny) or advice (free) give me a shout.
And hey, "lets be careful out there."
DY ☠
Hi Damned Yankee, actually considering doing exactly what your wife has done. Does she ever ride the bike without the hack and does it disconnect as easily as Hannigan claims?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts