Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not retired and will be 65 in a few years and can hopefully retire. I'm thinking about getting a lightly used Springfield and a DMC Tomahawk SE in a year or two. More used Thunderstroke 111 bikes should be available as owners up grade to the latest and greatest Challenger. I have read as some get old they either downsize or get a trike. I think a sidecar is much cooler then a trike and still can be separated and rode as a 2 wheeler. I would like to tour the US, visiting National Parks and various other places of interest. I think besides my girlfriend, you could put camping gear and supplies in the sidecar and on bike. We would do some camping , some hotels. Camping would save some money and be an adventure. Have any others done this and what are your thoughts and recommendations?

·
Rider
879 Posts
If you forget the idea of "disconnecting and riding Solo", you will be very happy...
I have decided that If I was forced to... I could live with the Vintage/Hannigan Hack, and my Sportster...
Absolute opposites on the "Spectrum"

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
Sounds good go travel to where you havent visited. See the country.
I am most certain once you disconnect from everyday same living you will feel like never before.
Dont sit still because you will get old fast going from bed to tv to kitchen table back to tv to bed!
My plan is to buy a 44ft Tiffin RV and travel rhe country. Get rid of the house.
Wifey said she wants to do it as long as she can have her dog.
Very reasonable request considering I love animals, especially a dog.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will be keeping my Scout, so the Springfield or whichever TS 111 bike I buy can be dedicated to the sidecar. I know not to become a couch potato, in fact I will have to exercise more then ever before to keep the body strong. Not long ago I met a 92 year old man who was still working. He was healthy as a horse and could probably woop most 60 year olds.

·
Founding Member
718 Posts
I'll be 63 this year, retired at 59 and don't miss a day of work. Still love to motorcycle camp. My wife stays home when I go off one of my Lone Ranger Rides, she knows I need alone time. We can make suggestions and share our own experiences, but you have to find what makes you happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dalethemale, I am envious of you. I too will be 63 this year but due to divorce lost a good chunk of 401K and pension. Enjoy your retirement. You can be creative and stretch your funds. A couple of years ago I went to a seminar at Americade. The speaker was retired and traveling/camping the USA. He made a deal with a camp ground became their temporary handyman and got free room and board and maybe some money in return.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
dalethemale,

Love the bike in Indian red. Don’t understand why they discontinued the color for the 111s and the 116s.

I would love to do what you are doing (But not quite as tough as you. I’d be moteling it ) I’m turning 62 this year, have a good 401k and partial pension. But I have a Chieftain Limited and a Dodge Challenger to pay off before I can retire.

You are also fortunate to have a wife who understands how you work .

Enjoy your retirement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll be 63 this year, retired at 59 and don't miss a day of work. Still love to motorcycle camp. My wife stays home when I go off one of my Lone Ranger Rides, she knows I need alone time. We can make suggestions and share our own experiences, but you have to find what makes you happy.
I make a couple cross country rides every year and live in hotels. I want more freedom and need a tent. What name brand tent are you using?

·
Founding Member
718 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks. Eureka makes quality tents. I've been looking at backpacker tents but I can't go the inexpensive route-wear and tear. I try my best to use weather apps while traveling but we know wind and rain can be unpredictable. I'll look into Eureka tents for my needs. Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I have done the tent camping thing and love it !! I used a small 7x7 tent so easy set up and it fit in my saddlebag along with my pillow and compact sleeping bag. I plan to go from MI to Alaska next year on the bike alone.
I just retired September 2019 at 64. I have a 2016 RM. I bought a few toys to enjoy during retirement. Bought a 14 foot fishing boat and a used 26' motor home and trailer to haul my bike, and my brothers. We are going out west this summer and will haul the bikes to Black hills and ride a few days and move to another spot like Yellowstone and ride a few days and move on again. Thinking this should be a great way to go?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds great. You don't want to make the ride without hauling? I'm 62 and I love three cross country rides. I rarely use major interstates as state roads are more personal. The road less traveled is a fantastic way to meet the locals, slow down, and use small 2-4 pump gas stations.

Leaving from Vegas I've ridden through the Great Smokey Mountains, Ozarks-twice, Tail of the Dragon and Graceland, TN, Talladega, Al, Charleston, SC, Saratoga Springs, NY, Greenville, MS, and so much more. I normally ride solo on my '17 RM and will make another trip in a couple weeks. Plenty of greenery in the East but I prefer riding out here in the West. Open country and +millions and millions of acres with public access.
I would like to make an Alaska trip soon.

If you ride cross country on your '16 RM you will not feel fatigued. The bikes are fantastic on long rides. I've ridden through your state as well. I love the rides.

I normally stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels which can get heavy on the pocket book.

Enjoy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds great. You don't want to make the ride without hauling? I'm 62 and I love three cross country rides. I rarely use major interstates as state roads are more personal. The road less traveled is a fantastic way to meet the locals, slow down, and use small 2-4 pump gas stations.

Leaving from Vegas I've ridden through the Great Smokey Mountains, Ozarks-twice, Tail of the Dragon and Graceland, TN, Talladega, Al, Charleston, SC, Saratoga Springs, NY, Greenville, MS, and so much more. I normally ride solo on my '17 RM and will make another trip in a couple weeks. Plenty of greenery in the East but I prefer riding out here in the West. Open country and +millions and millions of acres with public access.
I would like to make an Alaska trip soon.

If you ride cross country on your '16 RM you will not feel fatigued. The bikes are fantastic on long rides. I've ridden through your state as well. I love the rides.

I normally stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels which can get heavy on the pocket book.

Enjoy
Yes I agree with you. I did the tail with my Victory and now RM. I actually like the Blue Ridge Parkway Hwy 17 up in Canada is great up to Nippon and back to sue st Marie is a favorite too. I rarely use interstate as I like the twistiies..

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didn't have a passport when I rode through your state. I'd like ride the mountain ranges in Canada. Next stop maybe. The tail was my first experience with twisties. It was an experience. If you haven't already seen Lake Mead or Hoover Dam areas there's nice roads and scenery on practicality every side of the Colorado River and lake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My brother and I are spending a month out in the Colorado area this June. Black hills, Yellowstone Arches , Grand canyon and the balance of time spent in the Colorado mountain roads. We plan to stay in national campgrounds that are cheap. I went by car ro the Pacific ocean in 2017. Rotorcuff surgery prevented taking the bike but seeing I was off work it was a good time to go.
The tail is a technical road to drive. I may be weird but not really that much fun for me. It is hard to beat riding in the smokes for me because it is so close by. Northern west Michigan has awesome twisties that we can ride any day of the week. HWY 17 in Canada is about as rugged as the pacific coast and a trip we like to make every year. The UP has some great roads if you know where to go.
Now that I am retired I wonder how many miles I will drive a year. Last year was about 15,000. I want to get a mustang or ultimate seat for the long rides. Around here we go 3-400 miles a day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My brother and I are spending a month out in the Colorado area this June. Black hills, Yellowstone Arches , Grand canyon and the balance of time spent in the Colorado mountain roads. We plan to stay in national campgrounds that are cheap. I went by car ro the Pacific ocean in 2017. Rotorcuff surgery prevented taking the bike but seeing I was off work it was a good time to go.
The tail is a technical road to drive. I may be weird but not really that much fun for me. It is hard to beat riding in the smokes for me because it is so close by. Northern west Michigan has awesome twisties that we can ride any day of the week. HWY 17 in Canada is about as rugged as the pacific coast and a trip we like to make every year. The UP has some great roads if you know where to go.
Now that I am retired I wonder how many miles I will drive a year. Last year was about 15,000. I want to get a mustang or ultimate seat for the long rides. Around here we go 3-400 miles a day.
Beautiful riding. Grand Canyon awesome. Your June trip sounds great. My seat is original/stock and ready for an upgrade. I hit 52k next week and I purchased 9/17. Damn. You're putting in the miles the right way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now you are the one putting on the miles. I am thinking I will be doing 20- 25,000 a year? I will be doing other things I enjoy as well but will try to do those on days that aren't great for riding. I bought mine used January of 2018 so just one season on it. We get very limited riding here in April and May and then done by the end of October.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Besides the tent what other camping gear do you use, since space and weight capacity is so limited on a motorcycle? Also if you don't know when you become 62 years old you can purchase an America The Beautiful pass for $80. It is good for your lifetime and gets you in free to National Parks and some other places that are ran by the National Parks Service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I only bring the tent , a small travel pillow, and a compact sleeping bag that is the size of a junior football. This goes in the left saddle bag. The right saddle bag has my clothes and a small air compressor and tire repair kit ( never want to use) and shock pump as well as some cleaning supplies for the windshield and bugs. I use the trunk for a small cooler for drinks and snacks hat and sunglasses and such with a little room for souvenir stuff. I always eat out . Yes I have the senior pass and bought it when I turned 62 and was only $10 at that time. When I went out west 2017 I think that card saved me $300 . You get to stay at several types of government campgrounds for half price so I stayed for $5 to $12 a night except when they weren't in my area or they were full. which was about 3 nights out of 21. Super nice to have!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An idea to save some space, I put my clothes in a plastic bag so if saddlebag leaks they won't get wet. Bring 2 bags, one for clean one for dirty clothes. You can use a bag of clothes as a pillow and save some saddlebag space.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts