Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the gear selector switch recall done yesterday. For those that don't know, It’ll wipe out your personal start pin and you’ll have to reset it after the service. I’m having a hell of a time doing it.

First of all, my bike is a 2016 Springfield. The instructions from the factory on YouTube are for a chieftain with a fairing and all the doodads So they won’t work for bikes with no fairing.

The instructions in the manual are incorrect as well so when I first bought the bike and tried to do it as per the manual it didn’t work. But I posted here and someone else posted a revision on that thread explaining the procedure.

It had been so long that I had forgotten how to do that so I dug up the old thread here: Resetting Pin

Problem now is that I have added quite a few mods since I first bought the bike that may or may not have something to do with my issues. I can’t get it to work no matter what I do.

The directions say to wait for the power swich to turn off. Input the factory pin, then wait for the horn to sound a few seconds later to let you know it took the pin.

I have a solid coin cover over the power switch so I can’t tell whether it’s on or off. I’ve tried waiting a few seconds to give it time to turn off and I’ve tried doing right away. Nothing has worked. I’m thinking this may be my problem? IDK.

For you guys who have bikes with no fairing, how long does it typically take for your power switch to turn off after pushing the power button?

Another issue is that I have one of those Buffalo air horns on my bike. Maybe the horn isn’t sounding because it’s not the original factory horn? I doubt it, but I’m throwing it out there just in case?

Any ideas you guys can throw at me, I’m all ears, thank you in advance.

Oh and just because I know someone will bring it up, yes the Factory master pin works to start the bike, but whoever set it was either an idiot or a sadist because they are all inordinately high numbers and a serious PITA to do. That’s why I want to reset it.

·
Bronze Member
1,701 Posts
Both of our bikes go in for the gear selector switch recall next week. I told my wife yesterday that we need to remember to make sure that our personal PIN numbers still work when we pick up our bikes from the service department.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had the gear selector switch recall done yesterday. For those that don't know, It’ll wipe out your personal start pin and you’ll have to reset it after the service. I’m having a hell of a time doing it.

First of all, my bike is a 2016 Springfield. The instructions from the factory on YouTube are for a chieftain with a fairing and all the doodads So they won’t work for bikes with no fairing.

The instructions in the manual are incorrect as well so when I first bought the bike and tried to do it as per the manual it didn’t work. But I posted here and someone else posted a revision on that thread explaining the procedure.

It had been so long that I had forgotten how to do that so I dug up the old thread here: Resetting Pin

Problem now is that I have added quite a few mods since I first bought the bike that may or may not have something to do with my issues. I can’t get it to work no matter what I do.

The directions say to wait for the power swich to turn off. Input the factory pin, then wait for the horn to sound a few seconds later to let you know it took the pin.

I have a solid coin cover over the power switch so I can’t tell whether it’s on or off. I’ve tried waiting a few seconds to give it time to turn off and I’ve tried doing right away. Nothing has worked. I’m thinking this may be my problem? IDK.

For you guys who have bikes with no fairing, how long does it typically take for your power switch to turn off after pushing the power button?

Another issue is that I have one of those Buffalo air horns on my bike. Maybe the horn isn’t sounding because it’s not the original factory horn? I doubt it, but I’m throwing it out there just in case?

Oh and just because I know someone will bring it up, yes the Factory master pin works to start the bike, but whoever set it was either an idiot or a sadist because they are all inordinately high numbers and a serious PITA to do. That’s why I want to reset it.
From what I understand and after talking with the service department, they automatically re-set the pin to what ever it was prior to service. I haven't tried mine yet but will do so this weekend to be sure

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was wondering why my pin didn’t work the other day. It all makes sense now, I had the recall done a couple weeks ago. Luckily I still have all the factory paperwork and was able to find the master pin. Worst case scenario a trip back to the dealer and they should be able to help you out

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts

The step you are missing is after you power the bike up, you need to hold the turn signal button for 10 seconds (security dash light will go off).
Then you enter the Master (factory) PIN (another honk), then your new Rider PIN (honk), re-enter Rider PIN to confirm (honk). Done.

Also you need to complete each PIN entry within 20 seconds or the process will timeout.

·
Registered
25 Posts
CHANGING YOUR SECURITY SYSTEM PIN

To change your PIN, you must have either the key fob or your existing valid PIN available to gain access to the security system. If the key fob is not detected or is not available and you cannot remember your PIN, please see your INDIAN MOTORCYCLE dealer.
Please read the entire procedure before beginning.
  1. Turn the power switch on. Do NOT start the engine. The security light and/or power switch will turn on briefly until the key fob is detected or until the valid, current PIN is entered.
  2. Push or hold the turn signal CANCEL switch for 10 seconds until the security light and/or power switch turn on. (You will have to assume the light turned on)
    NOTE
    On models with Infotainment Display, a pop-up window will appear during this procedure stating that the key fob is out of range.
  3. Enter either the master PIN (see Identification Number Records) or your current 4-digit rider PIN within 20 seconds. If the PIN is successfully entered, the security light and/or power switch will remain on and the horn will sound briefly.
    TIP
    If the valid PIN is not entered within 20 seconds, the security light and/or power switch will flash for 10 seconds, then the system will shut down. Return to step 1 to try again.
  4. Enter a new 4-digit security PIN of your own choosing. If the PIN is successfully entered, the security light and/or power switch will remain on and the horn will sound briefly. Proceed to step 5. (it takes a few seconds for the horn to sound, be patient, it took me many tries to figure this out)
    TIP
    If the 4-digit PIN is NOT successfully entered within 20 seconds, the security light and/or power switch will flash for 10 seconds, then the system exits the procedure. Return to step 1 to try again.
  5. Re-enter the new 4-digit PIN. If this entry matches the first entry, the security light and/or power switch will turn off and the horn will sound briefly. The new rider PIN has been saved. Record your new rider PIN on Identification Number Records.
TIP
If the second entry is not entered within 20 seconds or does not match the first entry, the security light and/or power switch will flash for 10 seconds, then the system exits the procedure. The new PIN was NOT saved. Continue to use your former valid PIN. Return to step 1 to try again.

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts
When the tech updates the bike's firmware (this is done with the recall), it clears the Rider PIN. A good tech will either ask you for the Rider PIN or make note of it when the DigitalWrench computer is connected - they will then reload it before returning the bike after service. Unfortunately, not every tech will do these steps and you get the bike back with no Rider PIN. Always good to check the PIN after every service (they may have done a firmware update) ... if it doesn't work, ask the tech to assist or re-enter it yourself if you know how to do it. Finally, write down your Master PIN so you'll have it if you find the Rider PIN isn't functioning.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I’m happy this came up as the recall on mine was done a couple weeks ago. My tech reloaded the PIN as I just checked it out. I sure would have hated to be on the road and have the FOB die and then find out the PIN didn’t work!

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts
I’m happy this came up as the recall on mine was done a couple weeks ago. My tech reloaded the PIN as I just checked it out. I sure would have hated to be on the road and have the FOB die and then find out the PIN didn’t work!
That's why I have put both my Master PIN and Rider PIN into my phone as a note under my dealer's phone #. If the Rider PIN fails, I can still look up the Master PIN and start it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The step you are missing is after you power the bike up, you need to hold the turn signal button for 10 seconds (security dash light will go off).
Then you enter the Master (factory) PIN (another honk), then your new Rider PIN (honk), re-enter Rider PIN to confirm (honk). Done.

Also you need to complete each PIN entry within 20 seconds or the process will timeout.
Hmmm, pretty sure I tried this but I’m gonna give it another shot. Maybe I didn’t do it long enough.

At Amy rate, I have another issue to report. Now I cannot unlock the bags using the switch on the console. It only unlocks form the fob. If I try to do it on the console I get a weird code that comes up. Advised my mechanic and he said there does appear to be some quirks coming up from this service. He’s going to speak to Polaris about it this week and get back to me.

Edited to add that knowing then what I know now, I wouldn’t have had the service done until they work the bugs out of the reflash. There was nothing wrong with the old switch and it was clean enough to eat off of.

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts
Hmmm, pretty sure I tried this but I’m gonna give it another shot. Maybe I didn’t do it long enough.

At Amy rate, I have another issue to report. Now I cannot unlock the bags using the switch on the console. It only unlocks form the fob. If I try to do it on the console I get a weird code that comes up. Advised my mechanic and he said there does appear to be some quirks coming up from this service. He’s going to speak to Polaris about it this week and get back to me.

Edited to add that knowing then what I know now, I wouldn’t have had the service done until they work the bugs out of the reflash. There was nothing wrong with the old switch and it was clean enough to eat off of.
One thing I didn't answer for you was "how long until the light goes out when Power button is pressed?" It goes out in less than a second (just long enough for the fob to return the ping). In your first post, you didn't mention that you were holding in the turn signal/cancel button. After you hold it for 10 seconds, look for the "security key" icon on your dash to light up ... that let's you know that it is ready to begin the reprogramming sequence. If the icon doesn't light up, then it'll likely need the firmware to be reset by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing I didn't answer for you was "how long until the light goes out when Power button is pressed?" It goes out in less than a second (just long enough for the fob to return the ping). In your first post, you didn't mention that you were holding in the turn signal/cancel button. After you hold it for 10 seconds, look for the "security key" icon on your dash to light up ... that let's you know that it is ready to begin the reprogramming sequence. If the icon doesn't light up, then it'll likely need the firmware to be reset by the dealer.
Great success! Thanks you. I wasn’t holding the button down long enough after hitting the start button. Waited till the security key icon came on then it worked like a charm. Thanks again!

The locking issue with the bags is still a thing though...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the heads up and the reminder of how to reset the PIN. I got ahold of my dealer and have an appointment on the 28th. I will let you all know if I have any quirks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had my 2 recalls (headlight & gear position sensor) performed last week, read this and ran out to the garage. I never really use the PIN, but it would be my luck that when I need it it won't work. When I tested it it worked like a charm so i guess my dealer did it the right way.
When they did the headlight recall, the low beam blew. They replaced the bulb at no charge the next day.

·
Rider
861 Posts
You can also call your dealer and they should have the master code. They wiped my PIN as well and I had to call them to change it.

·
Rider
1,069 Posts
Both of our bikes go in for the gear selector switch recall next week. I told my wife yesterday that we need to remember to make sure that our personal PIN numbers still work when we pick up our bikes from the service department.
Taking my 2016 Chieftain to Sturgis next Friday for the Neutral Switch Recall. thank you for the heads up, I will make sure the tech resets the PIN back to what it is now.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
When you guys say "YOUR PERSONAL PIN NUMBER" I'm assuming you changed the pin number to start the bike with out the key fob near by,that came from the factory,correct???Or am i thinking about something else?? Thank you! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
1,814 Posts
There is a Master Pin that cant be erased and the option to add a personal pin in addition to the master. You need the master or FOB to enter the personal pin.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts