Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

researching 2014/15 Vintage

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Dwarf 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I just signed up for the forum and find it to be very useful and informative. My current question is concerning cost...do they come down at all on the price? Are there any discounts or better time of the year to make an offer. Should I expect to pay MSRP?

BTW, I have never bought a new bike before so this probably sounds really naive. I have had good luck buying used (current bike is BMW 1150r), but the new 2105 Vintage is really interesting to me.

Thanks,
Echo

#2 ·
I am a believer in telling them what you think is reasonable and walk away if you don't think it is fair. If you have trade there is a lot more at work. If you are patient you can eventually get a better price. Start to finish on my buy was about 7 months. I got a better price on harley trade after riding it another 5500 miles and taking off some extras I sold.

It is supply and demand so road master and scout deal without trade may be hard for awhile but I found my dealer more reasonable than harley dealer.......good luck....

#3 ·
Also, the dealers are trying to get rid of 2014 stock, so you'll probably get a much better deal on a 2014. They might not move much on the MSRP, but they'll throw in accessories or custom paint jobs or something for free. Also, the 2014's have a 5 year warranty instead of the normal 2. If you're firm on a 2015, you might not have as much leverage at this point. In either case, make sure you take a demo ride first to make sure it's something you want. We're all biased here. :)

#4 ·
Be honest with the dealer, let them know you have no problem buying through internet sales. My Denver dealer was very nice & I would recommend them, but I bought from RideNow in Peoria AZ due to a great deal. The shipping was only $550 due to waiting 2weeks for delivery.

#5 ·
Welcome Echo. I've owned several bikes and my '14 Vintage is the first bike I ever bought new. Took advantage of the September promo offer. All in all it was a good buying experience. We liked them enough to buy my Chief and my wife's Scout from the same shop. Still, the dealer wasn't too eager to offer throw-ins or give an additional discount so I wouldn't expect you will get a real bargain. They know these bikes are unique and when a buyer is serious the deal must be fair. Ours was. Dealers stake their reputation on satisfied customers. You will probably get a better deal on a 2014 until they are gone. Color selection may be limited. Good luck with your decision.

#6 ·
Welcome aboard, Echo. I bought my 2015 Vintage last October. They had several 2014 models in stock, on which they were willing to haggle. I decided to go with the 2015, as I preferred the two-tone paint and didn't want to have to deal with the fading leather issues that are prevalent on 2014 models. They did spot me the dealer prep charge (believe it was somewhere north of $700 - may have included shipping).

There's certainly nothing wrong with [respectfully] asking for a better deal. I doubt you'll find them dropping the price too much, as the bikes are just moving to fast. It's definitely a seller's market.

Let us know what kind of deal you end up getting.

Steve

#7 ·
I have talked with 4 dealers in the last few weeks, all are out of 2014s for the most part. The dealer I bought from sells for MSRP plus $795 freight and setup plus $129 doc fee. They had sold 130 2014s for that they claim. I did get a deal I felt was fair after 2 weeks of talk with 2 dealers. But they still showed the full price on the paperwork, just gave me more for my bike. That was in August of last year so the 2015s were on there way and they were motivated to clean out 2014s.
I hope they keep selling at full MSRP, it will make our 2014s worth something when its time to trade. We only have to look at the value of asian motorcycles to see what happens when they start giving deals on their bikes. And Indian needs to make sure they never build more bikes than the dealers can sell.

#9 ·
Hello all,
I just signed up for the forum and find it to be very useful and informative. My current question is concerning cost...do they come down at all on the price? Are there any discounts or better time of the year to make an offer. Should I expect to pay MSRP?

BTW, I have never bought a new bike before so this probably sounds really naive. I have had good luck buying used (current bike is BMW 1150r), but the new 2105 Vintage is really interesting to me.

Thanks,
Echo
Echo - All really good thoughts on the thread so far. I would add one additional thing to think about. Service. In my opinion that's where your long term satisfaction will be. If you save a few hundred dollars but the dealer's service isn't truly customer oriented then IMHO it's not really a "deal" at all. Before buying my first Indian I spent a couple hours on the phone with Service Managers from a few dealers and then went to talk to two of them personally. Then, I did my discussions with sales. These are incredibly well engineered bikes but stuff still happens and that is the time where you really want someone you can count on. Good luck!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.