Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my stock driving lights on my 2017 Springfield with Indian LED Driving Lights. Is says that I may need a software update . Is this true or can I just plug and play without a software update.
Thanks

·
Bronze member
2,021 Posts
If you do decide to swap out the driving lights you may want to hunt down the proper connector to make it plug-n-play. Also you’ll want to check the polarity of each side before installing the connector to the bulb’s wiring. They are different from side to side.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cant speak for 17, but recently replaced both driving and headlight on my 18. Plug and play for both. Some people chose to splice and solder wires since driving light is NOT plug and play with the Trucklite system, I chose to purchase the H11/H8 adapters on Amazon- P&P.

·
Bronze member
2,021 Posts
I swapped the OEM LEDs from my 2016 Roadmaster over to my wife’s 2017 Springfield. You would think that swap would be plug-n-play but I too had to swap out the connectors to have them match up.

·
Bronze member
3,160 Posts
I put halogen lights on my vintage from a truck stop store,they were chrome and brighter ,smaller than oem,32 dollars out the door.cut and soldered ,works as orignals

·
Rider
721 Posts
The OP's original question was regarding the need for a SW update if the halogens are swapped for LED's. This is not needed on SF bikes. I believe that only 2014 model 111's needed this for an LED swap due to the reduced current draw of the LED's.

The SF requires H4 - headlight and H8 - drivinglight bulb / LED replacements. Many aftermarket LED replacements are sold as H8 / H11 compatable. These lights have a connector that may not be 100% compatable with the Indian H8 connector. As previously mentioned, some have purchased a conversion adapter cable, and others have just cut the connectors and soldered the wires, and a few others have cut the plastic connector to allow them to fit. When I evaluated the TL's on my bike, I disassembled the plastic connector housings and slipped the male/female connectors together and put heat shrink over the connectors. This provided a good, electrically isolated connection. It also allowed the connectors to be put back together like new when the evaluation was over.

The OP indicated that he was getting the Indian DL's. If they come from a RM, then as Dave mentioned, there may be some mods needed on the connectors. Unlike the stock halogen bulbs, LED's are polarity sensitive. I'm curious if the Indian Pathfinder bulb kit will require any connector mods like RM LED's require. The installation guide does not make any mention of that.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,021 Posts
When I ran across the connector issue I looked up the Indian part numbers and there is one for OEM replacement for a Roadmaster and another accessory part number for the Springfield. I’m guessing the connector is the difference.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The OP's original question was regarding the need for a SW update if the halogens are swapped for LED's. This is not needed on SF bikes. I believe that only 2014 model 111's needed this for an LED swap due to the reduced current draw of the LED's.

The SF requires H4 -headlight and H8 - drivinglight bulb / LED replacements. Many aftermarket LED replacements are sold as H8 / H11 compatable. These lights have a connector that may not be 100% compatable with the Indian H8 connector. As previously mentioned, some have purchased a conversion adapter cable, and others have just cut the connectors and soldered the wires, and a few others have cut the plastic connector to allow them to fit. When I evaluated the TL's on my bike, I disassembled the plastic connector housings and slipped the male/female connectors together and put heat shrink over the connectors. This proved a good, electrically isolated connection. It also allowed the connectors to be put back together like new when the evaluation was over.

The OP indicated that he was getting the Indian DL's. If the come from a RM then as Dave mentioned, there may be some mods needed on the connectors. Unlike the stock halogen bulbs, LED's are polarity sensitive. I'm curious if the Indian Pathfinder bulb kit will require any connector mods like RM LED's require. The installation guide does not make any mention of that.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
attention to detail huh. I think we all missed the software part and focused on what works plug and play

1 - 16 of 16 Posts