Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am swapping out my Stock Darkhorse seat for a roadmaster heated seat. So far, in my fitment stage, I have noticed seat will not slide forward enough to line up the screws to lock in place. Upon further investigation, the 'mouth' of the seat is 1" and a little change narrower than the stock seat, and hence is bumping into the two bolts on the side of the front locking piece. My initial thought to fix, is to take seat off, remove part of covering, and heat gun it til it can be stretched a little wider. I plan to do this on the back portion as well in order to more easily fit the sissy bar. Then restaple everything back in place. Has anyone else come up with a better fix?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put a 2017 Roadmaster heated and extended reach seat on my 2018 Springfield without any need to modify anything.
I understand what you are attempting to do. Sounds like a reasonable modification.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The heated touring seat should fit your bike. Check the Indian website to be certain but they should be interchangeable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, theoretically it should fit, but an inch narrower is an inch narrower, and it's causing the seat not to slide forward enough to engage the screws and seat properly. Almost fits, but just a little off. I can see the seat material bunching up against the two bolts where it ties everything to tank. I think I should be able to modify just fine. Hopefully I can get it to slide easy enough i can re-add my cpt itch, which I temporarily have off while doing original install. Too cold to ride right now anyway so I have a bit of time to finish. Might have to go to store for better stapler, I think I'll need an air, or at least a beefy staple click to go through the plastic, and I just have a normal one.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've done a bike seat in the past with a small electric stapler, just a cheap one like this. The hand operated click type might not have enough spring pressure to puncture the plastic base.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plot thickens. -- Might not need to heat gun it. I was pulling the front bits off last night and there is a large piece of extra padding that is protruding into the interior channel, rolled over from where the seating material is, as well as a stiff piece of excess leather. I trimmed one side down removing the stuffing from under the seat and that seems to give me a bit more room. Will re staple after i get a better stapler, then do the other side and re-measure. It looks like it will give me enough space. Just needed a half inch on each side. Still leaning to melting the back piece inward a little to give my sissy bar more room, but front part was the one that is preventing mounting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the piece of foam i trimmed out. you can see on right side that hasn't been done yet where it is puffy and bulges inward. Left side will get narrower after i restaple, but you can already see a difference.

this is the front mounting assembly- from silver bolt to silver bolt is pretty close to 5" and seat needs to slide forward to engage.

Original seat is about 5 1/2 inch of clearance - new seat ran about 4 1/8, removing some foam from one side brought me to 4 3/4. almost there.
Just posting this in case anyone else runs into seat upgrade issues.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I installed the touring seat listed in the Indian Accessory catalog on my Springfield, it says it was made to fit between the sissy bar without clearance issues. Must say that it was the easiest upgrade I ever made, fit perfect.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
install finished. After removing excess material everything went on fine. Still having troubles with cpt itch preventing hole alignment, but contemplating cutting off back leather piece which is only part interfering. Just can't get slots to line up with the extra leather bit there. went on fine with solo seat for some reason. Overall pretty happy. GF is super happy with her new cushy wide throne and warm tushy. I still might take it off and melt back portion of plastic inwards so it doesn't rest on the backrest side poles, but going to run it as is for a bit to see how it goes.
seat.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
id be happy to hear from him, the cooler is molded fairly well, as I had it on all last season.Just something in the construction of this roadmaster seat vs darkhorse seat that i cant push down hard enough to get slots to line up with it on. the thin strip behind i believe is causing the mismatch. Love my cooler, so hope i can get it to work out. otherwise ill save it on the shelf for days when i put solo seat on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a similar but separate note - Since I have added the roadmaster seat and it has a lot of stitching, do I need a seat cover for rain to prevent foam from soaking up water? I use my bike daily and sometimes rain happens while i'm at work.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
After putting a Roadmaster seat on my Springfield, have noticed that it will take in a bit of water through the stitching. Not sure what you could do while riding in the rain, but cover it while parked if there is a chance of rain while parked. Saw somewhere that someone had posted a way to prep the stitching to repel water, but can't remember where I saw it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks - i suspected that when i saw all the stitching. I'll have to come up with some kind of cover. a full bike tarp isn't ideal as they take up a ton of space.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ah ha indian had something. Ill see about ordering. I hate a soggy seat even if you wait out the rain - or for starting out in the mornings when you hotel it.
Indian Universal-Fit Half Seat Cover, Black
Item # 2881126
$39.99 USD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts