Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I would like to replace the stock spring on the rear shock of my Vintage from stock to a progressive spring.
My question, is it as easy as:
1. Remove seat
2. Jack up bike until rear wheel is barely off ground
3. Turn lock nut and adjuster nut on shock all the way up, counter clockwise
4. Remove top nut/bolt holding top of shock to frame
5. Spinning nuts off top of shock, taking old spring off shock, and replacing new spring
6. Reversing all to put it back together.

Is it going to be this easy? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I wonder if the spring is under some compression when installed, much liker a strut cartridge. If so, you would need a way to compress the spring to take off the retaining cap, or you could end up with a mouthful of coil and no teeth.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skipll, that's what I was wondering...but I read somewhere that there are enough threads to unscrew lock nuts to completely rid of compression....but I wasn't sure, and can't now find where I read that!
Thanks your your input. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Skipll, that's what I was wondering...but I read somewhere that there are enough threads to unscrew lock nuts to completely rid of compression....but I wasn't sure, and can't now find where I read that!
Thanks your your input. I appreciate it!
Did you have any success removing the spring

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it all worked great. Followed the directions, and no need to decompress spring.... unscrewing the nut was enough. Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just for us ill-informed, why would you want to change the strut spring. I looked them up and the ones I saw look a lot like what's on there now. Does this allow better ride? Better stability? I ask because I've adjusted mine twice now, once just for me and the squeeze and again after installing a lowering kit, for me and the squeeze.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just for us ill-informed, why would you want to change the strut spring. I looked them up and the ones I saw look a lot like what's on there now. Does this allow better ride? Better stability? I ask because I've adjusted mine twice now, once just for me and the squeeze and again after installing a lowering kit, for me and the squeeze.
Installing lowering kit and progressive spring and was told a smoother ride, set sag for my 220 pound physique with stock spring shock setup and I'm looking to smooth out the bumps, will make a separate report after testing the ride, minimal cost nothing lost nothing gained

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can, please send me a report on the ride after you get a good idea if it was worth it. As I said, I already installed a lowering kit and loved it. With the second adjustment, I seem to have lost just a little of the drop I had and I'm picking up a trailer at the end of April. Going on an extended X-country this summer and was wondering if I need to head off a potential problem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you can, please send me a report on the ride after you get a good idea if it was worth it. As I said, I already installed a lowering kit and loved it. With the second adjustment, I seem to have lost just a little of the drop I had and I'm picking up a trailer at the end of April. Going on an extended X-country this summer and was wondering if I need to head off a potential problem. Thanks in advance.
I will keep you in mind and let you know when I know something

·
Registered
51 Posts
New suspension progressive spring and lowering links installed and have logged 90+ miles yesterday mixed in and out of town lend to improved cornering and quicker maneuvering, feels like an overall improvement, went over some speed bumps and didn't bottom out, I will check in again after a few hundred miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds good, I have my stock spring adjusted for me and the wife with no problems bottoming out but I've purchased a trailer for some long cross country trips but haven't had all three of us loaded up together yet. Before I go out this summer fully loaded I want to go on some short trips just for prep. I look forward to hearing if you keep having the ride results you are looking for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds good, I have my stock spring adjusted for me and the wife with no problems bottoming out but I've purchased a trailer for some long cross country trips but haven't had all three of us loaded up together yet. Before I go out this summer fully loaded I want to go on some short trips just for prep. I look forward to hearing if you keep having the ride results you are looking for.
200 miles on Central Ohio rural roads, twisties and roads in need of resurfacing....
I should mention when spring and lowering links installed a new set of Avon Cobra Chrome tires were put on also. Rides and handles uneven pavement like a pro at all speeds up to 65. I would do it all over again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts