Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to say, I really love the Corbin seat's comfort once broken in. I have put a little over 6K miles on it. My only real complaint is it completely changes the riding position. I am both higher up and further back from the bars. At 5' 11" that means my arms have very little bend in the riding position. I put in my order yesterday for an Ultimate mid-rider and will see if that ends up being the right solution. Since we can't just put risers on the bars, it seemed the best solution. Has anyone compared the Corbin and Ultimates directly? Am I going to be disappointed?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, good news is, I have 14 days to try the Ultimate, if I like it better, I keep it, if not, I go back to the Corbin. The seating position is really the only thing I don't like, quality is great, and evena 9 hour day in the saddle doesn't leave me miserable.

·
Founding member
2,378 Posts
I had an Ultimate on my previous bike and loved it; would have put one on the Indian but when I got the Chieftain, Ultimate didn't have the brown-colored seat. So I got a Corbin. After 6+ years, I like my Corbin (looks good and has held up excellent) but I give the comfort nod to the Ultimate.

The two seats are completely different feel ... the Corbin is firm and supportive like an extra firm mattress. The Ultimate is like a cushy pillow-top mattress - Ultimate says "you sit in our seats, not on it." And just like mattresses, different people will favor the different types of seats.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had both. I had a Corbin on my 02 chief and on my 16 Roadmaster. The seats were great. I had customer service issues with the Roadmaster seat so when I wanted a seat for my Springfield I went with an Ultimate. I got the Roadmaster pillion for the wife. It's a great seat and I'm glad I went with it instead of Corbin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, good news is, I have 14 days to try the Ultimate, if I like it better, I keep it, if not, I go back to the Corbin. The seating position is really the only thing I don't like, quality is great, and evena 9 hour day in the saddle doesn't leave me miserable.
Considering an Ultimate on my Springfield. I'll be watching for your post

·
Rider
1,847 Posts
Good thing with Ultimate is unless it’s a custom seat you can return it. I have a tall boy on my vintage. For shits and giggles I tried the stock one again. One ride I took it off and put my tall boy back on. I am not sure what model you got, the the tall boy does sit you back at an angle and up a little higher. Kinda glad I switched out for a test because it made me remember why I bought one in the first place. I have a few thousand miles on it now. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2020 Chief Dark Horse
65 Posts
I was in the same position you are. I went from the stock seat to a Corbin on my 2020 Chief DH. I think Corbin makes the best looking seat for the Indian heavyweights. It was great in the beginning for me. The saddle was firm but comfortable but a also a little wider. This made it so that I could not "flat foot" the bike at a stoplight but it was fine while I was moving. After riding it locally for a few weeks I rode to Moab, UT which was close to 500 miles each way. That 's where I started to notice that the riding position didn't work for me. I was sitting just a little too far back. This made me roll my shoulders forward and I really had to stretch to put my feet on the highway bar pegs. I also have the Corbin backrest which is nice but also made me sit further back than I should have. Once I got home from that trip I knew I needed to find something different. At that point I put my stock seat back on just to compare and ended up leaving it on.

A couple months later I decided to try out Ultimate. I bought the Mid Rider with the backrest and passenger seat. It's a nice set up and puts me right where I need to be in terms of riding position. My feet are back on the pegs and my arms have the right bend in them. My riding buddies tell me I look a lot more comfortable in this position. I also like that the backrest has a lot of room for adjustment. The quality is high and I am happy with it so far. I didn't like the bright white "Ultimate" lettering stitched across the back but a black fabric pen took care of that. It also seems to have a little more padding than either of the other seats and sits you up a little higher than the stock seat (enough that I might rotate my handlebars up a touch). Other than that I'd say the Mid Rider puts you in as close of a position to the stock seat as possible. I'll also add that I think the Ultimate actually looks better when the passenger seat and sissy bar are on. I'm looking forward to my next long road trip to really put it to the test.

I still think the Corbin is a great seat. It looks awesome and I don't have a bad word to say about it's quality or comfort. My only issue was the rider position for someone my size. I think anyone over 6' would be fine. I'll probably put the Corbin up for sale soon (I'll get on that if anyone's interested).

CORBIN

Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting

ULTIMATE MID RIDER

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle

STOCK

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in the same position you are. I went from the stock seat to a Corbin on my 2020 Chief DH. I think Corbin makes the best looking seat for the Indian heavyweights. It was great in the beginning for me. The saddle was firm but comfortable but a also a little wider. This made it so that I could not "flat foot" the bike at a stoplight but it was fine while I was moving. After riding it locally for a few weeks I rode to Moab, UT which was close to 500 miles each way. That 's where I started to notice that the riding position didn't work for me. I was sitting just a little too far back. This made me roll my shoulders forward and I really had to stretch to put my feet on the highway bar pegs. I also have the Corbin backrest which is nice but also made me sit further back than I should have. Once I got home from that trip I knew I needed to find something different. At that point I put my stock seat back on just to compare and ended up leaving it on.

A couple months later I decided to try out Ultimate. I bought the Mid Rider with the backrest and passenger seat. It's a nice set up and puts me right where I need to be in terms of riding position. My feet are back on the pegs and my arms have the right bend in them. My riding buddies tell me I look a lot more comfortable in this position. I also like that the backrest has a lot of room for adjustment. The quality is high and I am happy with it so far. I didn't like the bright white "Ultimate" lettering stitched across the back but a black fabric pen took care of that. It also seems to have a little more padding than either of the other seats and sits you up a little higher than the stock seat (enough that I might rotate my handlebars up a touch). Other than that I'd say the Mid Rider puts you in as close of a position to the stock seat as possible. I'll also add that I think the Ultimate actually looks better when the passenger seat and sissy bar are on. I'm looking forward to my next long road trip to really put it to the test.

I still think the Corbin is a great seat. It looks awesome and I don't have a bad word to say about it's quality or comfort. My only issue was the rider position for someone my size. I think anyone over 6' would be fine. I'll probably put the Corbin up for sale soon (I'll get on that if anyone's interested).
Thanks for that, it makes me much more confident I will be happy with the set up. Now I just need to wait for the Ultimate to arrive, I think it said 8 weeks. I do agree on the Corbin, if it weren't for the riding position vs my size, it is a fantastic seat.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update as my seat came in. Overall I am happy with the upgrade. The mid rider seat is not exactly a stock seating position as it sits a bit higher up than stock, but it is at least much closer to the same distance back. The quality of the seat is great, the comfort level is on par with the (well broken in) Corbin for me, and the passenger pillion seems better received by my wife and daugther. Basically, a lot of money to move me forward just a bit, but generally a happy customer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to say, I really love the Corbin seat's comfort once broken in. I have put a little over 6K miles on it. My only real complaint is it completely changes the riding position. I am both higher up and further back from the bars. At 5' 11" that means my arms have very little bend in the riding position. I put in my order yesterday for an Ultimate mid-rider and will see if that ends up being the right solution. Since we can't just put risers on the bars, it seemed the best solution. Has anyone compared the Corbin and Ultimates directly? Am I going to be disappointed?
Greetings
Had a Corbin seat on my Triumph Rocket 3 Tour for years....loved the seat.
Traded the bike off for a 2020 Springfield, added a Ultimate big boy within a month of purchasing bike.
Love this seat !
Was totally disappeared with Indians stock seat.

·
Registered
Hummer
47 Posts
Your wallet will not be disappointed… your ass will be… nothing beats a Corbin….👍

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your wallet will not be disappointed… your ass will be… nothing beats a Corbin….👍
Wallet is highly disappointed, I still have both seats. Now that I have some real miles on the Ultimate, I do think the Corbin is a little bit more comfortable for the back side, but not by much. The Ultimate is very good. The trade off with the seating position makes a difference in overall comfort though. I might switch them up a few times to get more direct comparisons.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wallet is highly disappointed, I still have both seats. Now that I have some real miles on the Ultimate, I do think the Corbin is a little bit more comfortable for the back side, but not by much. The Ultimate is very good. The trade off with the seating position makes a difference in overall comfort though. I might switch them up a few times to get more direct comparisons.
So I did put the Corbin back on for a 150 mile ride. I do find that the seat itself is just a bit more comfortable. My butt liked it, but the seating position made everything else so much more uncomfortable that it came off again as soon as I went home. I think it's settled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts