Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Replacing bobber taillights to LED flex strip

16K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Stone612 
#1 ·
Please help......
I have stripped away the original bobber taillights and looking to replace with a LED flex strip that will be mounted under the solo seat. The last guidance I received was to use the Badlands Indian Illuminator Run-Brake-Turn module (ILL-IND-01), this device is supposed to be a plug-n-play setup. However, I'm left scratching my head on where the connections are. I have read the directions and also have the service manual for my 2018 bobber w/abs. The wiring diagram states to plug into the "harness from the front of the bike", is this located in the bundle of wiring that's Velcroed behind the headlight? The reason I ask is that the only six-point connection in that area does not fit to the badlands connector. Also, I will be replacing the front signals with Rizoma handlebar inserts once I replace with the ape hanger bars. Any advice or info would help. I have included an image of the Badlands wiring diagram for reference.
Please any help and guidance is very much appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The module is for the Scout not the Scout Bobber, The Scout and Scout Bobber have different wiring for the rear lights. The Scout has separate brake lights from the turn indicators. The US/Canada version of the Bobber has integrated Turn/Run and Brake lights no separate brake light. And since the US/Canada version uses Red for the turn signals in the rear, the brake and turn are on the same wire, the CanBus system makes is Solid or pulses them. I've helped a couple guy wire aftermarket lights on their Bobbers, but never and LED strip. I'm working on an idea that might work for a LED strip. You can check the posts in the general Scout section.

#6 ·
Thank you for the input "djcutnpaste", as stupid as this may be, I'm coming to the same conclusion that the badlands device is for the Scout (as advertised) and NOT the fancy dancy bobber. This to say the least is very frustrating. I have wasted a lot of money and time with products such as this one. Currently, I have this badlands product that I am unable to return for refund, and two separate led light strips from two different companies that also are non-returnable. So before I continue to waste money and effort on what "should" work I will just have to ride dirty without turn signals and wait for a miracle. I appreciate your feedback with regards to this issue, every bit of knowledge helps.

#7 ·
Hey, Just replied on your Motogadget post, please don't loose hope. If you're willing to go with separate indicators instead of the LED strip, the Post for installing Rizoma's on the Bobber will technically work with any aftermarket light of that type. the LED strip is a bit more complicated because it has a Single Brake light where the bobber is designed to work with two.

#8 ·
@Stone612 , if you're still interested in doing this and are willing to do some testing with me, I think we can get this to work. You'll need the same list of parts from the Rizoma thread for the Bobber, plus this guy.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMs3UE%2bXNiFaVMqjtWQ5hemVYALiHzDjm7o=
The thought here is that we will add this one additional relay to the system, we will pass the brake like straight through this relay with the "NC" circuit. Connect to the "NO" leg to the Turn signal on the LED strip. and use the front turn signals as the switch to activate the relay. This will move the Circuit from the brake light to the turn light but continue to use the pulsing signal to make it flash. IN THEORY :)

#9 ·
@Stone612 , if you're still interested in doing this and are willing to do some testing with me, I think we can get this to work. You'll need the same list of parts from the Rizoma thread for the Bobber, plus this guy.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron-Electronics/G6E-134P-US-DC12?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs3UE%2bXNiFaVMqjtWQ5hemVYALiHzDjm7o=
The thought here is that we will add this one additional relay to the system, we will pass the brake like straight through this relay with the "NC" circuit. Connect to the "NO" leg to the Turn signal on the LED strip. and use the front turn signals as the switch to activate the relay. This will move the Circuit from the brake light to the turn light but continue to use the pulsing signal to make it flash. IN THEORY :)
djcutnpaste
I have received some parts and have begun troubleshooting the rear wiring issue. To clarify, the issue is replacing rear factory brake/run/turn signals/lights with aftermarket options labeled # 1 & # 2. I have successfully installed my front bar end Rizoma turn signals and could suffice using just those for my signals. Which brings us to option # 2 and only requiring that light to function as a brake/run. However, if possible I could just install the Indian Headdress light on the front fender as a super kool guy accessory (there is already existing factory male/female connector located in wiring bundle behind headlight). That would bring me to option # 1 and installing a LED flex strip under my super kool guy solo saddle seat.
The parts I'm working with are:
G6E-134P-US DC12 x 2 (Low Signal Relays - PCB Low Signal Relay 12VDC)
SHV12-1A85-78L4K x 2 (Reed Relays REED RELAY SPST 1A 12V)
(# 1) 6" LED Brake/Run/Turn Light Strip w/5 wires (Black, Red, White, Green, Yellow)
(# 2) Indian OEM Headdress Light Kit with 2 wires (Black, Red)
2018 Scout Bobber w/ABS (US) OEM rear lighting wiring is: Left ( Black, Red, White) and 2 wires for the license plate that do not pertain, Right (Black, Red, White)

I'm super motivated and ready to go. Please advise on any spells, potions, tribal dances, or butterfly sacrifices that must be done to find the answer to life's biggest question....

#10 ·
@Stone612 sounds like you're good, you'll need the following diagram to use an LED strip on the bike. Remember to connect the brake lites from both sides to the brake light on the LED, otherwise it will go out when you have the indicators on. Also, I used purple from the factory wiring because white wouldn't show up in the drawing. And the wire from the front looks like it should be the blue wire from the front turn signal based on your post from your bar end wiring post. The the relays should be wired exactly as I did it in the drawing. You can confirm the 5 pin relay with the diagram it comes with.
Text Line Diagram Font Design

#11 ·
@Stone612 sounds like you're good, you'll need the following diagram to use an LED strip on the bike. Remember to connect the brake lites from both sides to the brake light on the LED, otherwise it will go out when you have the indicators on. Also, I used purple from the factory wiring because white wouldn't show up in the drawing. And the wire from the front looks like it should be the blue wire from the front turn signal based on your post from your bar end wiring post. The the relays should be wired exactly as I did it in the drawing. You can confirm the 5 pin relay with the diagram it comes with. View attachment 444618
djcutnpaste Thanks for your awesome input and excellent diagrams. I do have a few questions regarding the "US Bobber to Rizoma rear lights, Red for Brake and Amber for Turn" please see attached picture with #questions
Text Diagram Line Parallel Plan

#13 ·
djcutnpaste,
I believe I have found the answer to my question # 1. With regards to the Low Signal Relay (G6E-134P-US DC12), I downloaded the low signal relay stat sheet and found the diagram you mentioned in your previous post. So that is no longer an issue and I apologize for not doing my homework thoroughly before asking for guidance.
Also, on your diagram, it shows that I will be wiring this up using factory right-side rear wiring. So do I do the same wiring for the left? Basically, pairing both the left and right then proceeding per the diagram? Or what/where am I wiring the left side wires? Also from the LED flex strip I have the green and yellow, these are basically my left and right turn signals wires (assuming). If I'm wiring the right factory wires as prescribed which incorporates the green wire to the G6E-134P-US DC12 Low Signal Relay, then assuming that for argument's sake the yellow wire is for left signal where will that be wired to? Or am I simply taking the left-side factory wiring (Red, Black, White) and wiring straight to the LED flex strip?

#14 ·
@daveholl No problems, I didn't draw my diagram exact to the spec sheet, but basically you want the brake line to run through the normally closed circuit. As for the left and right side, you will do the same for both sides, so 2 relays on each side, the wires from the factory plug are the same color on both sides. On the left there are 2 extra wires for the plate light, don't mess with those.

#15 ·
@daveholl for question 2, the run light wire on your led flex light should connect directly to the 12V positive wire from the factory plug.
question 3 it's the blue wire from the front turn signal, you would need to connect the right front turn signal to the right rear wiring you're doing and the left front to your left rear wiring. The wire is not located in the back, you will need to tap into the wire and run a new wire from there to the back of the bike.

#17 ·
Ok, so I have to connect my rear right to the front right, and the rear left has to connect to the front left? So per the diagram, does the Rizoma rear light (LED flex strip) need to be spliced into BOTH the right factory wiring and the left factory wiring? I understand that the right factory wiring will have 2 relays, and the left factory wiring will also have 2 other relays. The question is the LED wire "RED/Brake" gets paired to the large relay for the right side, but do I also need to pair that same RED wire from LED to the left large relay as well?? This question pertains to the RED and WHITE wires from the LED strip? The black is simply Black wire from LED paired to both left and right black wires. The LED Green wire is for the Right signal and the Yellow wire is for the Left signal (those are simple because they each go to the large relay on their respective sides. And the LED White wire gets paired to the +12v Red wire on the right rear side....does it get paired also to the left rear +12v Red wire?

#18 ·
Nice. But I'm just trying to get a LED flex strip to work first. If successful I may just skip the extra rear brake light. But thanks for the info, so far so good. Just still having questions on if weather or not I pair the left side into the LED strip wires just like for the right side (White "+12v", Red "Brake", Black "Ground".?????

#19 ·
No dice brothers
Per diagram the end result did give me 1) running light, and 2) brake light function with the operation of front hand brake lever but not rear brake pedal. I attempted to pair right rear with the right front with no success and same with left rear with the left front. I attempted both methods with no success. First pairing rear wiring per diagram to the front red/brown wire which had no success except disabling the front turn signals which had been functioning. Then tried same but paired with the black/blue wiring in front with the same result. So close but no fat cigar.
I'm buying a Harley
J/K

#20 ·
No dice brothers
Per diagram the end result did give me 1) running light, and 2) brake light function with the operation of front hand brake lever but not rear brake pedal. I attempted to pair right rear with the right front with no success and same with left rear with the left front. I attempted both methods with no success. First pairing rear wiring per diagram to the front red/brown wire which had no success except disabling the front turn signals which had been functioning. Then tried same but paired with the black/blue wiring in front with the same result. So close but no fat cigar.t v
I'm buying a Harley
J/K
ok so we're making some progress. Couple things concern me;
1 - the front brake lever and the rear brake peg both activate the same brake circuit, so when you say the front brake lights up the brakes but the rear brake peg doesn't. That should not be the case, not matter what we did with our wiring.
2 - when connecting to the front turn signals, we should be tapping into that line, so connecting to it while it is still connected to the front lights, those lights should never go off at any point once they are working.

What I would do is forget about the connections to the front for now. Lets just focus on getting the brake light to work as it should.
For now lets just connect your LED strip just to the wires from the right side. So, Red wire from the bike to the white wire on your strip, Black wire to black wire, and finally the out going wire from the larger relay to the Red brake wire on your LED strip, and thats it. In this setup, you should have a run light, and a brake like when you pull the brake lever in the front, or step on the rear brake peg. Can you confirm if this works? and can you take photos of your wiring for me.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.