Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founding member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Chief Classic is in storage for winter. But sometime next year I want to replace the brown wall tires with black walls. There is quite a variety of brands to choose from. Plan on buying on Amazon for the best selection. and having my local motorcycle shop install the new ones. Want something better then OEM Dunlop's. What ones do you recommend?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have never ridden on bias ply tires, so I don't have a front tire recommendation. However, I used to ride on Michelin Commander 3's. Shinko makes a good tire (888 I think), but some people think they are crap because they are a lesser-known brand. I never had problems when I ran on Shinkos.

·
Registered
478 Posts
"Want something better then OEM Dunlop's."
Just put a set on my Classic, 18,000 miles on the front and 21,000 on the rear on the old ones. What's not to like...?

·
Registered
506 Posts
You only have tow tires to begin with, Please don't bargain shop! Get the best your money can afford. I use Dunlop American Elites and I get 17,000 out of the rears and close to 28,000 out of the fronts. But I do a lot of touring put it to 80 mph and go tank to tank...

·
Founding member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Found out rear tire size is 180/65B16 don't think originals are bad. Just wondering how Michelin,Pirelli,Metzler,Avon, or Continental compare. Used Metzler or Conti on my old bikes always and had good luck with them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I put on the Pirelli Night Dragons. The shop said they are the only tires that meet the Indian Classic spoked wheel specs. I have only put 60 miles on them so far and they ride smooth and grip great. Only many miles will tell how good they are and I want to see if the tar devils move the tire as the Dunlops wiggled all over on them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In France also, Night Dragons.
The Night Dragons are very good, and are better on the wet ground that the DUNLOP

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Good place to let us know how choices turn out after a few months. I put Michelin on my 12 heritage and 13 road glide. They were much better than harley oem. I will probably look at them first but I only have 2500 miles on this bike. I am encouraged to hear indian oem tires go longer than Harley's.....

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have never ridden on bias ply tires, so I don't have a front tire recommendation. However, I used to ride on Michelin Commander 3's. Shinko makes a good tire (888 I think), but some people think they are crap because they are a lesser-known brand. I never had problems when I ran on Shinkos.
Michelin is currently selling Commander II, perhaps you had Pilot 3. Metzeler makes the 888. Shinko makes the SR777.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts