Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Aftermarket tank mounts

• Stock replacement (easy to make = less $) EST $40 shipped USPS in US 48

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Offset (Harder to make = more $$) Cost ?

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I'm good with my factory mounts.

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to see if there is any interest from those with aftermarket intakes in replacing the stock rubber mounts with larger better fitting urethane ones. These will keep the tank from moving around excessively after the factory air box has been removed. Poll is open for 60 days.

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
I am trying to see if there is any interest from those with aftermarket intakes in replacing the stock rubber mounts with larger better fitting urethane ones. These will keep the tank from moving around excessively after the factory air box has been removed. Poll is open for 60 days.
Is there really a problem?
My tank has been removed and replaced and there has never been any issue.
Are the OEM mounts expensive?

It seems to answer a question that hasn't been asked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your remove the OEM air box and install an aftermarket air filter, S&S or such , the tank moves around a lot. I noticed this and so have others. Arlen Ness addresses this issue: Torque Box Air Cleaner for Scout™ Engines The factory air box does a substantial amount of locating and holding the tank in place. Once the air box is removed it is left up to the side mounts, or "ISOLATOR, TANK, FRONT 5414852" $8.29 ea + S&H&Tax on cheap cycle parts. Replacing the OEM mounts with new OEM mounts doesn't address the issue. The OEM side mounts were never designed to function alone, they are made of a soft rubber and aren't dimensionally sized to fit the forward mounts on the tank. The stock mounts also causes the front of the tank to sag allowing fuel to collect in the front of the tank and not naturally flow to the pick up.

These mounts are stiffer, properly fit and better support the tank. The offset mounts raise the tank to allow more air in around the frame, places the tank in a location to promote fuel flow to the pick up and show off a little more of the cam covers, if you like that sort of thing.

I have made these for my bike and am simply seeing if there is a market for them or if anyone is interested in them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The OEM side mounts were never designed to function alone, they are made of a soft rubber and aren't dimensionally sized to fit the forward mounts on the tank. The stock mounts also causes the front of the tank to sag allowing fuel to collect in the front of the tank and not naturally flow to the pick up.

These mounts are stiffer, properly fit and better support the tank. The offset mounts raise the tank to allow more air in around the frame, places the tank in a location to promote fuel flow to the pick up and show off a little more of the cam covers, if you like that sort of thing.
Thanks for the context. I too, was wondering why anyone would want/need these new mounts but it sounds like it would be something I'd be interested in. Once it warms up in my area I'll be upgrading to a performance intake and seeing the tank shuffle around will probably drive me crazy.

It looks like you added 1/4" in height from the OEM to your custom mount. Considering OEM replacements are ~$8 a piece and you've added a bit more material, I'm having trouble seeing them go for $20 per, or $40 for a set as you propose in your survey. I'd definitely get in line for $25+shipping for the pair, personally, but I fully understand that pricing doesn't just cover materials. It's your time, the tools, etc., so you can charge what you want. Just sayin' from a consumers perspective (and my opinion) your proposed asking price looks a little steep, is all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lift seems to be about 1/2". Shipping is about $9 for a small USPS flat rate box. I think $25 + shipping ($34-35 shipped) a set is do able if there is enough interest, 10-20 people. Could possibly get it down lower to $20 if there was say 50 people interested. But it doesn't seem like may people are interested. That being said, I haven't asked on any of the other forums either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now maybe my experience is slightly different as my scout is only 6 months old. (this being my second scout though as I previously owned a 2015).... I replaced mine on my 2020 scout with an S&S intake within 2 months of owning it and never experienced any excessive movement from the tank. For some odd reason I tend to grab underneath the tank a lot with my left hand when I'm riding with only my right hand on the handlebars cruising down a long highway so I know for a fact I would feel the take move if this was the case. Like I stated, maybe because its fairly new? But I would be more of the opinion that maybe the tank did not get set correctly or possibly the rubber mount was damaged upon reinstallation of the tank. I should note, my 2015 I purchased used and it did not have the factory intake either. I never encountered any issues with the tank movement either. Similar to what @MOMZ stated above, this may be a solution to a problem that does not exist.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 sets of offset mounts I made while testing. If anyone would like a set for the price of shipping PM me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The offset mounts are mounted in addition to the stock mounts then, or do they bypass the original mounts?
Are the stock mounts easy to remove and yours easy to install?
The tank wiggle has been bugging me ever since I replaced the stock air intake for the S&S assembly two years ago, so definitely interested. I am located in Belgium, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new mounts replace the original mounts and the install is fairly simply, remove the tank, swap mounts and replace the tank. Here is one of many videos on removing the tank:

·
Registered
31 Posts
The new mounts replace the original mounts and the install is fairly simply, remove the tank, swap mounts and replace the tank. Here is one of many videos on removing the tank:
Yes, I removed the tank to install the S&S air cleaner so it shouldn't be a problem to do that again, however I wasn't sure how difficult it is to remove the tank mounts. Do they just slide off or are they secured in any way (adhesive?)..

Anyway, consider me a customer if you decide you wouldn't mind shipping to Belgium.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The free ones have been claimed.

If anyone else is interested PM for availability.
Prices:
$35 Shipped in the US
$66 Shipped International

1 - 14 of 14 Posts