Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know were to get different colored led bulbs for the front fender light or different colored glass face. I know they used to make them for the gilroy war bonnet.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,138 Posts
I used a site superbrightleds.com before. Good part lookup system. I got speedo and nuetral lights for my previous bike. Can find good stuff that's pretty obscure.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,072 Posts
I was under the impression, that whole war bonnet was one piece... just like the indicator light housing... if LED blows, you need to replace the whole indicator.
The glass warrior's face is a separate piece held in place in the bonnet with silicone RTV. The two LEDs are in a U-shaped plastic housing behind it that slots into screw bosses inside the bonnet. There is no wiring connector at the Warbonnet, it must be up inside the fairing or headlamp nacelle. The plastic LED housing looks as if it is glued together. You'd probably have to cut it apart to change the LEDs. It does look as if you could slip a piece of colored translucent plastic in front of the LED unit to change the color of the warrior's face.
--- Randall

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Are there laws limiting the color of the war bonnet light? I would think red or blue would be a problem in most states.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
Are there laws limiting the color of the war bonnet light? I would think red or blue would be a problem in most states.
that brings up a good point...
they should make one that allows you the ability to toggle through different colors on the fly
I could turn mine to red when on the war path,
blue when I am cold and need to engage my grip and seat warmers
amber when I'm down and need to take a ride to boost my spirits
black when I pass a harley
clear (white) when I'm not feelin it

·
Registered
497 Posts
that brings up a good point...
they should make one that allows you the ability to toggle through different colors on the fly
I could turn mine to red when on the war path,
blue when I am cold and need to engage my grip and seat warmers
amber when I'm down and need to take a ride to boost my spirits
black when I pass a harley
clear (white) when I'm not feelin it
...and green when you pass a better Indian?

Reactions: MEDIC MIKE

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
The rule of thumb for DOT lighting requirements were red lights to the rear of the vehicle, amber for side and front. I wonder if anyone even checks that anymore during State inspections??

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey, i specifically asked the dealer before i bought mine about changing the war bonnet to red. He said no problem its a simple bulb change. Now simple is relative to $$$$$ So it can be done. To me an indians face should be red.

·
Registered
892 Posts
There are easy ways to modify and light up pretty much anything. The most popular LEDs are going to be 3mm and 5mm. Each of them can withstand 3vdc apiece. If you were to wire 4 of them in series, drill 4 small, shallow holes in the clear plastic to hold them you can make it any color you want. You could even use RGB LEDs (The kind with 3 leads) with a controller and change your color at will. Sounds like a fun project actually.

Reactions: MEDIC MIKE

·
Registered
128 Posts
Search eBay- part number 66-015-LED. This is a white bulb that fits the socket of the Gilroy warbonnet lights. It's LED, not incandescent. Don't know if it will fit the current warbonnet sockets. I have seen other LED bulbs on eBay that fit the warbonnet socket in different colors.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Search eBay- part number 66-015-LED. This is a white bulb that fits the socket of the Gilroy warbonnet lights. It's LED, not incandescent. Don't know if it will fit the current warbonnet sockets. I have seen other LED bulbs on eBay that fit the warbonnet socket in different colors.
I'm sure is been done but I bet an amber light would look good in there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Will 66-015-LED. Fit my 16 Roadmaster warbonnet

·
Registered
128 Posts
Go to eBay and search the number on your bulb and also LED. You should get some results showing the correct cross over. My bulb was for a Gilroy era warbonnet light. I imagine the socket is the same in the new lights, but a search as described should yield answers for you.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey, i specifically asked the dealer before i bought mine about changing the war bonnet to red. He said no problem its a simple bulb change. Now simple is relative to $$$$$ So it can be done. To me an indians face should be red.
The Polaris war bonnet lights cannot be swapped out. They are in a sealed plastic assembly. I wouldn't trust much of what your dealer says........,

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Go to eBay and search the number on your bulb and also LED. You should get some results showing the correct cross over. My bulb was for a Gilroy era warbonnet light. I imagine the socket is the same in the new lights, but a search as described should yield answers for you.
They are completely different lights - the metal housing from both fit both plastic and Glass, but they different.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts