Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the clutch cable broken on our 2018 Chieftain Darkhorse. Bike only has 13,500 miles on it, seems early for this to happen. What's the best replacement for stock bars?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I installed the Magnum Chrome cable on my '15 Vintage. I had tried a Barnett on my last bike, no issues. Installed a Barnett on this one and it appeared to 'chatter' when drawing the clutch. No issues with the Magnum, that I installed in 2018, from Dennis Kirk, prior to my long ride out to the NW.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed a stock length Barnett tonight. Routed it a little different than original. It is inside the frame & behind the floorboard, kickstand, shift linkage. I'll see how it works in the next couple days.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I installed a Barnett clutch cable on a 14 Vintage 4yrs ago, ordered it an extra 1/2 inch longer over stock as I had the optional beach bars fitted, also fitted a Barnett clutch cable to my 17 RM when new, stock length, pain in the butt to fit time wise

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
There was a recall on my bike for that same problem.My problem was,they didn't get it in time and the damage had already started,eventually going down to two strands which ,I'm happy to say,is when I discovered it which was also in my shop.So ,after experiencing this problem on other machines I've owned,I've learned to keep one for a spare and am dam glad I did.I caught it just as I was heading out one day and changed it on the spot.I brought the old cable back to the dealership and they gave me a new one,no charge,which I now have in stock.Plus,I now pay a lot closer attention to it and lightly lube it the first of every month while I'm inspecting it as well as other things on the bike.And it was kind of a stinkin,rotten so and so to change,but I finally got it.Took me about two hours.Naturally,if I have to do it again,I now know just where to go and what needs to be removed,hence it should take me a lot less time to do it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There was a recall on my bike for that same problem.My problem was,they didn't get it in time and the damage had already started,eventually going down to two strands which ,I'm happy to say,is when I discovered it which was also in my shop.So ,after experiencing this problem on other machines I've owned,I've learned to keep one for a spare and am dam glad I did.I caught it just as I was heading out one day and changed it on the spot.I brought the old cable back to the dealership and they gave me a new one,no charge,which I now have in stock.Plus,I now pay a lot closer attention to it and lightly lube it the first of every month while I'm inspecting it as well as other things on the bike.And it was kind of a stinkin,rotten so and so to change,but I finally got it.Took me about two hours.Naturally,if I have to do it again,I now know just where to go and what needs to be removed,hence it should take me a lot less time to do it.
Where do you look when checking the cable? Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the spot so we know where to look?

Thanks
John

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
The cables generally break on either end,that is,where they attach to the handle bar clutch lever,or the lever on the side of the transmission,atleast that's the most common place I've seen em break.I've never seen any that broke inside the cable housing,it's usually at the ends.If you get into the habit,which is a good habit,of checking and lubing both ends on a regular basis,which takes about 5 seconds to do,BEFORE ya drive off,you'll know if they're frayed and or just how bad that fray is.However,if you see several broken strands on either end,I would not recommend riding it until ya get it fixed,otherwise,it could be most embarrassing,especially when you're a loooooooooooooooooooong ways from home. :eek: :rolleyes::cry:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts