Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got together a list of the bolts need to replace the stock bolts on the handlebar controls, cam chain cover, primary cover, cylinder head/valve, brake pedal and front fender on my 14 Chieftain. The list of bolts cost me around $115.00 shipped but I added 1 bolt to each size. Just a warning though the service manual on the main primary bolts said 15lbs, the torque wrench read 125 inch lbs. when I checked them. So be careful if you try this and check what the torque on the existing bolts are before you trust the manual.

CHROME BOLTS LIST
Right and Left Controls m5 - 0.8 x 20 7 total
Brake and Clutch Perch m6 - 1.0 x 20 4 total
Front Fender m8 - 1.25 x 25 6 total
Cam Chain Cover m6 - 1.0 x 40 4 total
m6 - 1.0 x 65 6 total
Cylinder Head/Valve m6 - 1.0 x 25 6 total
Primary covers m8 - 1.25 x 35 7 total
m8 - 1.25 x 75 7 total
m6 - 1.0 x 12 6 total
Brake Pedal m6 - 1.0 x 16 2 total

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I finally got together a list of the bolts need to replace the stock bolts on the handlebar controls, cam chain cover, primary cover, cylinder head/valve, brake pedal and front fender. The list of bolts cost me around $115.00 shipped but I added 1 bolt to each size.
CHROME BOLTS LIST
m6 - 1.0 x 65 6 total
m8 - 1.25 x 75 7 total
m6 - 1.0 x 12 6 total
Looks great. Where did you order them from?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks ...looks good. I know these bikes don't vibrate like Harley's but do you torque all the replacements with lock Tight?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks ...looks good. I know these bikes don't vibrate like Harley's but do you torque all the replacements with lock Tight?
The only bolts that had any "lock tight" on them were the bolts across the bottom of the primary cover. I used Loctite 222MS on all bolts that I replaced.

So, you are replacing stainless bolts w/chrome ones? I must be missing something here. :confused:
To me the bike is much to nice for the type of bolts that come stock. My pictures are not the best but the ones of the hand control are the best example of why I changed them. To each his own

·
Early joiner
54 Posts
So, you are replacing stainless bolts w/chrome ones? I must be missing something here. :confused:
I have changed out all my engine and frame chassis bolts with chrome as well and the original bolts are NOT stainless steel. Once done you ask yourself how did you ever live without doing it earlier. Great job bluedawg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally got together a list of the bolts need to replace the stock bolts on the handlebar controls, cam chain cover, primary cover, cylinder head/valve, brake pedal and front fender on my 14 Chieftain. The list of bolts cost me around $115.00 shipped but I added 1 bolt to each size. Just a warning though the service manual on the main primary bolts said 15lbs, the torque wrench read 125 inch lbs. when I checked them. So be careful if you try this and check what the torque on the existing bolts are before you trust the manual.

CHROME BOLTS LIST
m6 - 1.0 x 65 6 total
m8 - 1.25 x 75 7 total
m6 - 1.0 x 12 6 total
Nice job Bluedog! Indian did a great job out of the box on this bike, but I have to admit, the chrome hardware really make a difference. Cheers, Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old post but I used this guide for my 2018 elite. The zinc plated original are bland & this spruced the bike up nicely. I didn’t need the real small ones on my bike.

thanks for this guide 👍🏻

1 - 15 of 15 Posts