Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strongly considering an FTR. The stock tires just aren’t great for street purposes. Has anyone replaced the stock tires with a street tire and if so what was the difference?
I am still wondering if I should wait for the more focused street model that seems to be a dark secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,777 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stock tire for street riding. 99% of the people who buy the ftr will not outride the stock tires.

But if you’re riding hard the rear won’t last more than 2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
We fitted 2 FTR bikes with Metzeler Torrance Next tyres and did give the bike a smoother ride and did steer a little sharper in my opinion

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We fitted 2 FTR bikes with Metzeler Torrance Next tyres and did give the bike a smoother ride and did steer a little sharper in my opinion
Edited my response. These are the stock tires for Triumph Tiger XR and the BMW F800Gt.

I would be interested in how these work after they are worn in...

Any more feedback ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also looked around. The Dunlop’s were made for the FTR based off the dirt track tire. That explains some things.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
There is nothing wrong with the stock tire for street riding. 99% of the people who buy the ftr will not outride the stock tires.

But if you’re riding hard the rear won’t last more than 2k.

You are right but they does not mean you can’t put a tire on there that’s not as noisy and more confidence inspiring.
My other bikes are a Ducati Supersport and a BMW R1200RT. I have had an Indian before but switched out for technology and weight.
The looks of this bike are great and to me it’s easy to ride. Handles well. That being said Its primarily a street bike. It has all the technology I want in American made bike (finally). Something besides a flat track modified tire should be on it.
I do see the Pirelli Scorpions will fit. I used those on a Buell Ulysses and they were a game changer.

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Replaced the OEM Dunlop tires and put a pair of radial Avon Spirit ST on. Rear 160/60-ZR18 - Front 120/70-ZR19.
There's only 2% less circumference difference between the Dunlop 150/70 and the Avon 160/60. And it lowered the rear only by 7 mm.

·
Bronze member
1,777 Posts
You are right but they does not mean you can’t put a tire on there that’s not as noisy and more confidence inspiring.
My other bikes are a Ducati Supersport and a BMW R1200RT. I have had an Indian before but switched out for technology and weight.
The looks of this bike are great and to me it’s easy to ride. Handles well. That being said Its primarily a street bike. It has all the technology I want in American made bike (finally). Something besides a flat track modified tire should be on it.
I do see the Pirelli Scorpions will fit. I used those on a Buell Ulysses and they were a game changer.

You made it seem like the oem tires is holding you back from buying the bike.

Yes you can change the tires. I already changed out mine with a41s. Will try t31s next

But it wasn’t an extreme need to do so. As the oem tires weren’t as bad as I thought they would be.

·
Silver member
4,842 Posts
Agreed, although I ride them side to side (canyons and stuff), they’ve never surprised me and I love the way they behave. Seems to be a soft compound rubber.

I just don’t think they will last long.

And I haven’t noticed any excessive noise from them either..

·
Registered
188 Posts
You made it seem like the oem tires is holding you back from buying the bike.

Yes you can change the tires. I already changed out mine with a41s. Will try t31s next

But it wasn’t an extreme need to do so. As the oem tires weren’t as bad as I thought they would be.

Edited:

Completely agree. I think it was you that said earlier 99% of the riders will never max out the capability of the stock tire. The 1% that think they will are probably over estimating their skill and under estimating the tires limits. Dunlop did a hell of a job making a very good all around tire.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts