Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a Canadian considering renting a motorcycle in the USA, probably Colorado. I find the insurance liability limits on all the rental sites i've checked to be ridiculously low ($300k is the maximum found and for that you have to pay extra). FYI most people i know carry $2-5 million vehicle liability insurance. Is there a company thats sells short term liability insurance for rental motorcycles?? Have run the question past several brokers in Canada, and they all claim no knowledge of any such insurance product. Just curious what others do when in this situation??
Thanks
anjin

·
Rider
1,197 Posts
$2 million does seem like an excessive amount of insurance. Certainly more than most Americans carry. Do you carry that much on your own car/bike?

·
Rider
1,168 Posts
That much liability on a bike? I'd be surprised. Logic says that if higher limits were called for in the states, they would be available.

The way liability works, I would be very surprised of the rental dealer/agency would set their limits too low. Many states have "deep pocket" liability laws, That means damages are extracted not so much for who is responsible as for the financial assets of any entity that can be even remotely connected.

There was a case in Florida quite a few years ago (Florida has deep pockets liability laws) where a drunk driver drove over the sidewalk and creamed a man at a pay telephone. The driver had squat for assets, but GTE, owner of the pay phone, had huge assets. The court awarded large damages and made GTE pay them. Not because GTE was in any way responsible, but because it had the deepest pockets.

If the dealer thought they could be held liable for more than the coverage limits offered, it would raise the limits. My opinion at any rate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i guess its what you consider normal. I carry $5M (cad) on all my vehicles (2 bikes, 2 cars). Some damage awards post accident in this country have exceed $7-8M. Considering the US is a more litigious country than Canada, i'm surprised that liability coverage is so low. Thanks for the feedback.
anjin

·
Bronze member
2,667 Posts
Well i guess its what you consider normal. I carry $5M (cad) on all my vehicles (2 bikes, 2 cars). Some damage awards post accident in this country have exceed $7-8M. Considering the US is a more litigious country than Canada, i'm surprised that liability coverage is so low. Thanks for the feedback.
anjin
I don’t think you'll find any US insurance carriers offering limits that large.

·
Rider
1,168 Posts
10 Most Litigious Countries in The World

When you think about the 10 most litigious countries in the world, many people would immediately think of the United States of America (US). However, the Land of the Free only comes in at number 5. Germany is the top nation in the world for litigious behaviour. Sweden comes in at number 2, Israel is at number 3, and Austria number 4. The field is rounded out in this order: The United Kingdom (UK) at number 6; Denmark at number 7; Hungary number 8; Portugal at number 9; and France at number 10.

·
Rider
1,197 Posts
I am surprised at the high Canadian coverage limits. Like you (anjin) I would have assumed the US being more litigious would cause US limits to be higher than Canadian. Odd result of different court systems I suppose. In America mostly just commercial fleets carry such high limits. But the answer to your original concern is that in the USA the $300 limit should be more than sufficient.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am surprised at the high Canadian coverage limits. Like you (anjin) I would have assumed the US being more litigious would cause US limits to be higher than Canadian. Odd result of different court systems I suppose. In America mostly just commercial fleets carry such high limits. But the answer to your original concern is that in the USA the $300 limit should be more than sufficient.
Thanks for your feedback. I wouldn't be comfortable riding with such low liability insurance. So unless i can find a short term insurance solution, i'm going to have to find a way to do this on my own bike (where my higher limit Canadian liability insurance would cover me).
thanks for all the shared opinions;
anjin

·
Rider
1,197 Posts
Although I don’t see it as necessary, I wouldn’t argue with you. You have to be comfortable in your own mind about what’s needed. Here’s a thought. Did you check with your company and ask if they would cover you on a rental bike. If not as a normal course of events maybe a special rider? Either way I hope you work it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although I don’t see it as necessary, I wouldn’t argue with you. You have to be comfortable in your own mind about what’s needed. Here’s a thought. Did you check with your company and ask if they would cover you on a rental bike. If not as a normal course of events maybe a special rider? Either way I hope you work it out.
[/QUOTE

I did check with my (and 2 other) insurance companies and no luck. Funny thing is, I can rent a car anywhere in the us and canada and my “preferred driver” status with my auto policy extends that coverage to any car I rent (in those 2 countries). So when I visit California next week, I can rent a car with no additional insurance and be covered by my existing auto policy (to the same limits). Doesn’t work for motorcycles though, go figure. Anyway, the exchange of ideas is always helpful. Ride safe
Anjin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts