Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the baffles while the pipes are on the bike? On my older bikes I could do that, but the tutorials I have seen so far show the pipes on the bench while removing the baffles.

Thanks

Ensign

·
Bronze member
2,228 Posts
I've taken the 2.5" baffles off my the TAB's on my Chieftain. If they're still on the bike 1st take the exhaust tips off, then the 2 screws holding the baffles in. Then you could try a dent puller attached to the baffle or maybe a small iron nail puller that's small enough to fit inside the baffle opening but big enough to wedge at an angle and give it pull outwards. Usually I just remove the pipes all together then tap the ends down on a really thick rag. Whichever works better.

Reactions: Ensign Pulver

·
Registered
565 Posts
It is not easy removing those baffles. They are LONG and the packing is tight. I tried twice. No luck. Had to remove the pipes and tap the baffles free with a rubber mallet and the tips removed.went from ,zombies to 2-1/2 louvers.Not real hard, just time consuming with removing bags and side panels and antenna. Just takes a couple hours. I had Vance and Hines on an older bike and they were a 10 minute job. I changed baffles often for music vs. sound.

·
Bronze member
1,527 Posts
I am trying a slide hammer with a puller today- I will let you know how it goes...Ensign
Put a poker bar INSIDE the front end of the muffler (closest to the header side) and tap with a rubber mallet and the insert will slide out. The end of the insert closest to the end of the muffler is not 100% symmetrical, hence it's wedged inside the inner wall of the muffler housing and it's a ***** to get out without a little help. Spray some WD-40 inside the end of the muffler closest to the end cap....that will help! Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just used the slide hammer with a pivot bearing attachment to grab the inside lip of the baffles- TOO EASY. Pulled baffles and removed the insulation from both baffles and reinstalled- took 15 minutes. Love the sound of the 2.5 baffles with the Cat Delete and Stage 1. Much better. We will see how my wife likes it- she wanted loud pipes...Ensign

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,287 Posts
Which cat delete did you get?

·
Bronze member
1,527 Posts
I just used the slide hammer with a pivot bearing attachment to grab the inside lip of the baffles- TOO EASY. Pulled baffles and removed the insulation from both baffles and reinstalled- took 15 minutes. Love the sound of the 2.5 baffles with the Cat Delete and Stage 1. Much better. We will see how my wife likes it- she wanted loud pipes...Ensign
Ensign that's the exact configuration I have with my Challenger. I had the ZOMBIE baffles in.....loves the sound and bark.....but I think I was loosing a little power due to loss of backpressure. The 2.5's sound "OK".....but I miss the bark and bite of my ZOMBIES. I may end up putting them back in........at the expense of a little less torque/HP. With all the power this engine makes, it's not like I'm going to notice. But I think the engine/bike runs better with the 2.5's. I have noticed that with more miles on the 2.5's the sound is getting a little better. Must be the packing material "settling in". But I still think I'm going back to the ZOMBIE's.......it sounds that good!!

·
Bronze member
1,527 Posts
Just remove the insulation and you will be pleased with the sound AND have the back pressure you need.
Really? Doesn't sound "tinny"? I'll try that and let you know what I think! So you removed ALL of the insulation....or some of it? Thnx for the suggestion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wondered about that before I removed it as well, but no, it sounds great. I tried to record it on my phone but it just doesn't capture the sound. I'll try and get it later and post it for you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
TAB gave me an interesting idea. I bought mufflers with Zombie baffles. Thought they were a little too loud but mostly "tinny" sounding. Ordered 2-1/2" louvered baffles. Much better but still too quiet at low rpm/idle. Justin recom.ended trying putting back the Zombie baffle on the left side (or removing the packing on both). Might get a better sound and more equal flow with the Zombie/louver combo. Thoughts?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is my bike-
Stage 1 Air with Flash
Tab 2.5 baffles and CAT Delete
Removed packing around the baffles

This is a cold start

·
Bronze member
1,527 Posts
Ensign, I removed the packing material around my 2.5's.......made a really nice positive difference without losing any backpressure. But admittedly, I miss my ZOMBIE's with CAT/resonator delete. If there were a way I could maintain and/or restore some backpressure, I would have kept them in the mufflers. The engine clearly needs some backpressure to run at optimal performance. But thanks for the suggestion; received the desired results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is my bike-
Stage 1 Air with Flash
Tab 2.5 baffles and CAT Delete
Removed packing around the baffles

This is a cold start

I have a New Challenger and interested in the TAB Pipes. Can you tell me if the TAB pipes are just plug and play or did you have to make any modification to Motor to use these slip on pipes.

·
Bronze member
1,527 Posts
For optimal performance with this set up, you should install the Stage I tune from your dealer. The bikes run lean (and hot!) from the factory tune. With a freer flowing exhaust and no way to get more air (and fuel) into your engine, the engine is going to run even leaner (and hotter!), so go for the tune which comes with the Performance Stage I air intake. Right now, that's all the factory offers on our bikes.....but there is "stuff" coming from the aftermarket!!! Just need to be patient!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts