Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the best way to remove the melted plastic from your header pipes? I ran the bike for a bit to heat up the pipes and then used a razor to remove the worst of it.

Chrome polish and WD40 didn't seem to help much.

Other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Reactions: PAG62

·
Registered
504 Posts
Simichrome metal polish.... is it easy(NO), do a little at a time(manually-hand rubbing), your chrome will still be in good shape w/out scratches. Yes, it has happened to my pipes- her boot soles melted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
First get the pipe as hot as you can and then wipe with "pure" cotton rag it will take most of it off!! Then fine chrome polish!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Anyone know the best way to remove the melted plastic from your header pipes? I ran the bike for a bit to heat up the pipes and then used a razor to remove the worst of it.
Chrome polish and WD40 didn't seem to help much.
Other ideas?
Everyone seems to use easy off oven cleaner. You can also use pure copper(penny) with liquid wax as a lubricant, copper is softer than chrome and will not scratch it.
See this post
Boot Heel Burned on Muffler | Indian Motorcycle Forum
I've no idea why the hell everyone keeps missing this post.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've no idea why the hell everyone keeps missing this post.
I think it is because I didn't search on exactly the right items for this to be in the list. Chrome, pipes, plastic did not get me this link. In any case other responses were very helpful, including this one. I now have a plan to solve my problem - Thanks All.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I think it is because I didn't search on exactly the right items for this to be in the list. Chrome, pipes, plastic did not get me this link. In any case other responses were very helpful, including this one. I now have a plan to solve my problem - Thanks All.
Thanks. I've added those keywords

Reactions: IndianLandRider

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Next time you are by an auto body supply store or really any good place that has tools, pick up some plastic razor blades. Usually they are orange and will not scratch if you have to scrape some ( lightly ). They come in handy for a lot of things.

upload_2017-4-19_10-20-58.jpeg

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I melted a pair of jogging pants. Tried EVERYTHING suggested on this thread as well as others....no luck.
One guy (forget who), suggested warming engine to operating temp. Then use a popsicle stick to gently scrap off

Worked like a charm. Took about 15 min. No scratches either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts