Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my stock Chieftain windshield with an aftermarket one (Freedom Shields- highly recommend). Of course I dropped one of the square washers from the back of the windshield and it fell behind the fairing. I know where it landed and it's not recoverable. Thankfully replacements aren't expensive and hopefully it will ship quickly.

Then, of course, I realized I needed to make an adjustment and would have to remove the screws and washers again. This time I did it right and stuffed an old t-shirt into the space in the fairing in front of the windshield. Yes I dropped a screw that time but the t-shirt caught it and kept it from falling behind the fairing.

If you're going to take a windshield off, do yourself a favor and stuff that space with rags to catch whatever you drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
A trick I use is to put a dab of black RTV on the square nut. Reinstall it then after it cures everytime you remove the screw the square nut stays put. If you ever do want to remove the nut. Just loosen the screw about half way and push in on it. The nut will pop right out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used electrical tape to hold them in place... but then I dropped a screw down in the front part and couldn’t fit my hand in there... held up 8 year old and her hand was small enough to get it... knew these kids were good for something!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts