Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen pics of drilling out the caps on the stock exhaust. Are those the baffles? How do cats come out? I have stage one now, and I’m not very happy with their loudness. I like to expirement with my stock.
Thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
With my stage ones, I removed the inner assembly by removing the 2 rear screws and pulling it out. If you can get them out, you don't even have to remove the exhaust from the bike. It contains everything including the cat. Took a screwdriver and a big hammer and drove it completely through the cat, all the way around in a circle. Do a circle smaller than the opening though. The first will take a bit until you get the hang of it. Then use a 1-1/4 in hole saw and remove the baffle right behind the cat.

I did this with stage 1 on my bobber and have RCX on my 60. Not a lot of difference at idle, but the stage 1s aren't near as loud full throttle. Definitely was worth the time and effort to improve the sound.

When I did mine, I started with a small chisel, as I thought that would be better than a screwdriver. It didn't work well because of the thickness. The screw driver worked a lot better.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sounds like the inner is tough to remove.
Thanks for the advice .
Probably depends on how old the pipes are. Mine were fairly new. All it took was a few hits with a rubber mallet to get them moving and they came right out. Just remove the two screws at the rear and see if you can get it moving. If they come out it's a lot easier and quicker than actually removing the exhaust from the bike. That only works for the stage 1. The OEM pipes don't come apart like that. You will slide out the whole inside assembly including fiberglass wrapping. The cats are right at the top and easy to get to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m guessing the fiberglass wrapping comes off also. I’m no mechanic and hesitant to avoid mistakes.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
617 Posts
The high temp tape they use was still intact on mine, so it didn't unroll. It wouldn't have been a problem if it did though, as there wasn't that much of it. Would have ben easy to re wrap before inserting back into the exhaust.

Don't worry, you're not going to mess anything up.

It was definitely worth doing. Removing the cats and baffle gets rid of a lot of heat and sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok last question. What happens if I just leave the inner assembly out... just really loud or engine issues later
Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok last question. What happens if I just leave the inner assembly out... just really loud or engine issues later
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any one know of any exhaust manufacturer that offer a 2 into 1 into 2 system, everything we have seen is a true dual systems for the Indian 111. We want to retain the cross over portion of the system.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It would be very loud without the inner assembly. Would probably be fine to do, but might require better mapping than what the Indian stage 1 provides.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Would be nice to see a video of stage one removal of a cat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks
Any tricks you know of on how to remove the inner housing if it’s stubborn. Oh and I practiced removing my cat and baffles on my stock exhaust that was laying around. The cat was a pain.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Any tricks you know of on how to remove the inner housing if it’s stubborn. Oh and I practiced removing my cat and baffles on my stock exhaust that was laying around. The cat was a pain.
Depending on how old or if it's been in the rain, the inner assembly could be rusted in there. Mine was fairly new and loosened up easily. I just gave it a few taps with a rubber mallet in the direction I wanted it to go and it started moving. Some type of strap that was tight enough to twist it while pulling it out would be good too.

You don't have to remove it, but it did make it easier and quicker for me as the exhaust didn't have to be removed from the bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts