Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I did it tonight also. Just need the red paint for it and all the other Indian markings

Reactions: SterlingDrive

·
Registered
411 Posts
I removed that cover also on my Roadmaster and had a small bottle of HD Vivid Black touch up paint and clear coat which I used for painting the Indian lettering on the air cleaner cover, the front fairing badge, the dashboard logo, and the trunk logo. Trimmed the excess off with a single edge razor blade. First attempt looked great until I washed the bike and the paint started too peel off. Re did it and covered it with the clear coat....voila. Looks great....they should do it this way from the factory!!
Odd ball...dude. You really need me to ask you for PICs?

PICTURES!! Come on man...hook us up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks Great!
I just bought a 2015 Chief Vintage that has not been picked up yet. What are my chances it will have the Indian logo underneath? Was it the original bikes or do we think the newer ones have it as well? That 111 emblem is really not attractive.
Greg

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Better approach, but mine was headed for the trash regardless.
Maybe someone wants it. Send it to someone who does. Just saying that many of those items are hard to find in later years. The 1982 HD's had a small emblem on the front fenders. Most of them fell off and are gone. 20 years ago, I bought a couple of new old stock emblems for $30 or so each, and sold them about 10 years ago for $125 each. I think I could have gotten more for them. Those throw away items are what everyone throws away, and are hard to g when people want to restore or refurbish their bikes later on. Use it for garage art.
I have old steel valve covers from chevy small blocks because everyone took them off to put on chrome or aluminum. I would straighten them out and clean them up and give them a new coat of paint. They can be worth $75 to $100 (or more) for a set now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Chief Vintage that has not been picked up yet. What are my chances it will have the Indian logo underneath? Was it the original bikes or do we think the newer ones have it as well? That 111 emblem is really not attractive.
Greg
Chances are 100 percent. Be careful , I used plastic and then I still put a tiny scratch in it, but still looks better. Get it real hot I was in to big of a hurry and used a hair dryer and should of waited till I got to the shop and used my heat gun

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chances are 100 percent. Be careful , I used plastic and then I still put a tiny scratch in it, but still looks better. Get it real hot I was in to big of a hurry and used a hair dryer and should of waited till I got to the shop and used my heat gun
I don't have a heat gun. I was going to use a hair dryer and dental floss, was it so stubborn that this idea might not work?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dental floss probably won't do the trick it is tuff to hold on to when it's hot. A hair dryer will work just keep it on longer than I did . And use plastic. Cause you want most of the double sided foam to come with it. The reason I wanted to use a heat gun is I wanted to save the 111 emblem with out bending it, for what I don't no. The 111 is a cheap piece ,it's the double thick tape that gives its strength

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well, my project was quite the opposite. My Dark Horse came with the flat black bed pan air filter cover with the small script "Indian" and it just looked unfinished and cheap. So, I bought a complete chrome air filter with the "111" emblem from Ebay and installed it. After looking at it for a couple weeks, I thought it was a little too much chrome for a Dark Horse so I removed the "111" emblem and glued it to the black cover and reinstalled it. Looks great....just enough chrome with the small emblem on the large black cover. Besides, I kind of like the "111" emblem. ;)

By the way, I started removing it with a heat gun and fishing line. The fishing line broke twice and upon further examination, I found a very small hole cast in the bottom. I used one of my leather-working awls to pry it up and then wedged a small plastic putty spatula underneath. I worked the spatula back and forth and around the entire emblem to loosen the adhesive and it came off without damage. The worse part was removing the adhesive from the chrome cover. Goo-Gone and some elbow grease finally did the trick. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now that it's all cleaned up though. [meh]

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, my project was quite the opposite. My Dark Horse came with the flat black bed pan air filter cover with the small script "Indian" and it just looked unfinished and cheap. So, I bought a complete chrome air filter with the "111" emblem from Ebay and installed it. After looking at it for a couple weeks, I thought it was a little too much chrome for a Dark Horse so I removed the "111" emblem and glued it to the black cover and reinstalled it. Looks great....just enough chrome with the small emblem on the large black cover. Besides, I kind of like the "111" emblem. ;)

By the way, I started removing it with a heat gun and fishing line. The fishing line broke twice and upon further examination, I found a very small hole cast in the bottom. I used one of my leather-working awls to pry it up and then wedged a small plastic putty spatula underneath. I worked the spatula back and forth and around the entire emblem to loosen the adhesive and it came off without damage. The worse part was removing the adhesive from the chrome cover. Goo-Gone and some elbow grease finally did the trick. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now that it's all cleaned up though. [meh]
As it's a rainy day here in London (there's a novelty), took the opportunity to whip the air cleaner cover off to see if that Indian script was lurking beneath the rather crass 111 plate. It was. Warmed up the boss with a hair dryer and gently levered it of with a spatula, without harming it or the cover in any way (In case I changed my mind !). There it was,exactly as described. The adhesive was a bugger to remove even with copious amounts of WD40, but well worth the effort. Great improvement for half an hour's effort.What were Indian thinking of, SHOUTING 111 like that? Thanks to all for the suggestion. I wonder what else lies under the surface of our motorcycles. Thanks to the site, I have discovered this little bonus, learned what to use to dye my leather, found somewhere to charge a phone hidden in the nacelle, what the best products to protect my soft clear coat are and loads more, Knowledge is power !

·
Registered
270 Posts
As it's a rainy day here in London (there's a novelty), took the opportunity to whip the air cleaner cover off to see if that Indian script was lurking beneath the rather crass 111 plate. It was. Warmed up the boss with a hair dryer and gently levered it of with a spatula, without harming it or the cover in any way (In case I changed my mind !). There it was,exactly as described. The adhesive was a bugger to remove even with copious amounts of WD40, but well worth the effort. Great improvement for half an hour's effort.What were Indian thinking of, SHOUTING 111 like that? Thanks to all for the suggestion. I wonder what else lies under the surface of our motorcycles. Thanks to the site, I have discovered this little bonus, learned what to use to dye my leather, found somewhere to charge a phone hidden in the nacelle, what the best products to protect my soft clear coat are and loads more, Knowledge is power !

·
Registered
270 Posts
When heating the cover to remove the 111 medallion, should I heat from the rear or just heat the 111 medallion?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
392 Posts
1/ Remove air box cover
2/ Establish that yours is one with the "Indian" script by looking at the reverse face.(maybe they all are???)
3/ Get some dental floss /fishing line and put the cover facing up,on a towel on a flat surface. Wear gloves.
4/ Point the hairdryer about a centimeter from the surface of the "111" (any closer,it may overheat and cut out)
5/ Let the heat soften up the adhesive on the sticky pad between the "111" and the cover for a couple of minutes, then work the floss/line behind the "111" using a sawing action. Every so often, pull the floss gently towards you to help loosen the "111".
6/ Once it has lifted slightly, you can gently insert a dull spatula into the top of the "111" and carefully lever it off.Mine came easily without damage to "111" or cover.
7/ Now the difficult/boring/messy bit... having soaked the glue residue in WD40 or similar, rub gently with a rolling action to slowly remove the gunge.
8/ Polish up with a suitable gentle polish like "silvo". Job done. Best done on a rainy day with a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
270 Posts
1/ Remove air box cover
2/ Establish that yours is one with the "Indian" script by looking at the reverse face.(maybe they all are???)
3/ Get some dental floss /fishing line and put the cover facing up,on a towel on a flat surface. Wear gloves.
4/ Point the hairdryer about a centimeter from the surface of the "111" (any closer,it may overheat and cut out)
5/ Let the heat soften up the adhesive on the sticky pad between the "111" and the cover for a couple of minutes, then work the floss/line behind the "111" using a sawing action. Every so often, pull the floss gently towards you to help loosen the "111".
6/ Once it has lifted slightly, you can gently insert a dull spatula into the top of the "111" and carefully lever it off.Mine came easily without damage to "111" or cover.
7/ Now the difficult/boring/messy bit... having soaked the glue residue in WD40 or similar, rub gently with a rolling action to slowly remove the gunge.
8/ Polish up with a suitable gentle polish like "silvo". Job done. Best done on a rainy day with a cup of coffee.
Thank you very much, better than a utube!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just did mine. Used the wifes hair dryer and some paint sticks that I sharpened the end of to a chisel point with the bench grinder Easy peasy. Emblem came off intact. Acetone works like ExLax on the adhesive.

Note to Indian assembly department g'rilla. The green loctite is a little overboard on the air cleaner cover screws. Blue would be PLENTY.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The emblem is a vinyle decal I found on eBay. It's 3 1/2 inches diameter. Lookup Indian decals and you will see it. Make sure you get the one with the Indian facing forward. :) Cost was $5 or so.

41 - 60 of 123 Posts