Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the rear wheel off my Vintage today. Tomorrow I get a new tire put on. Quick question--Do I need to pull the sprocket for them to mount the tire?? I remember seeing somewhere it just pulls off the cush drive. If its that easy I'll certainly do it.
Thanks

·
Bronze member
2,545 Posts
I don’t know, so that’s why I’m posting a follow up to the OP’s original inquiry. Why would you remove the sprocket and not the brake rotor? It seems that since the sprocket is part of the wheel rotation, it should be left on. Can someone explain...I’ve never balanced a bike wheel.

·
Bronze Member
1,654 Posts
I don’t know, so that’s why I’m posting a follow up to the OP’s original inquiry. Why would you remove the sprocket and not the brake rotor? It seems that since the sprocket is part of the wheel rotation, it should be left on. Can someone explain...I’ve never balanced a bike wheel.
This is the best way that I can describe it.

When assembled, the pulley slides in to the rubber cush drive and is held against the wheel with axle spacers. The pulley itself rides on its own bearing and is not resting its weight in the wheel. Besides acting as a drive line cushion, the cush drive is also acting as a coupler between the pulley and wheel. So the balance of the pulley is independent of the wheel.

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
Unless you have a special tire changer made specifically for motorcycle tires,you ALWAYS remove the brake rotor so ya don't damage it [or them] if it's a front tire you're changing.Then,after the tire is mounted,and before you balance it,put the rotor back on and balance it as an assembly.And then,I always mark the rotor before I remove it/them so I can put em back on in the same position they came in from the factory.But if you're replacing the rotor,just mount em and balance the assembly.Done!!!

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
Does anyone know why these lines [like above] keep appearing in some of the posts I respond to???????? Thank you!!

·
Silver member
5,261 Posts
I literally never took a brake rotor off a wheel changing tires. Not at the bike shop, not at the local car tire guy, nor at home or in the field.

First time I read this.

·
Rider
943 Posts
The last time we took a tire in to get changed we took off the rotor and had to go back and put it back on. ALSO Indian manual says to replace the bolts holding the rotor on once they have been removed. They come with lock-tite on the from the factory. We just used our own lock-tite. So leave the rotor on. I talked to Indian service and they leave them on.

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
I've changed atleast 100 MC tires over the years,tube type and tubeless, have yet to use lock tite on the rotor bolts,and have NEVER had a problem.I mark em so they go back in the same place they came off and torque em to spec.But if ya have the proper machine,and know how to use it,then the rotor will not have to be removed.But why do ya remove the rotor?? So it does NOT GET DAMAGED during the tire change procedure.And even if the shop has an up to date tire machine,damage could still be done if the guy using the machine does not know how to use it properly,is careless,or is in a big hurry.[Everytime we got a new tool or diagnostic piece of equipment,we had to go to school to learn how to use it PROPERLY]

Anyways, the shop will tell ya how they discovered this bad rotor during the tire change which naturally needed replacing,like they're doin ya a big favor,and for premium money,of course,when they ,infact,created the damage.Stop and think about it!!! You'd be surprised at just how many careless dealerships and bike repair shops there are out there.And it's the same in the auto industry.But the average guy won't see this cause he's not in the business.

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
Well I guess I must be one of those stupid guys and do NOT know what I'm doing cause I've only been doing this for the past 58 years.But then again,and if I remember correctly,disc brakes weren't used on two wheelers until the late 70's.So I appologise for my stupidity. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the SPROCKET(not rotor!!). Hell, it just pulls off. Checked the cushions, cleaned out the brake dust, had the tire mounted and all is good. I was down to cord so the new tire is GREAT!!! $210 for an 888 mounted on the rim.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I've changed atleast 100 MC tires over the years,tube type and tubeless, have yet to use lock tite on the rotor bolts,and have NEVER had a problem.
ALL I was saying is the Indian manual says to replace the bolts if removed. I called and they come with lock-tite. Factory-installed rotor bolts front and rear have lock-tite. The manual states it I repeated it. Get over it.

·
Bronze member
1,222 Posts
...... then again,and if I remember correctly,disc brakes weren't used on two wheelers until the late 70's.So I appologise for my stupidity. :rolleyes:
Fun factoid, Dave. The world's first production motorcycle with disc brake was the 1969 CB750K0. The rear was a drum.
;)

·
Bronze member
2,978 Posts
Now that you mention that,I do remember seeing disc on the front of that model.My appologies sir!! :oops: :oops: I used to work part time at a local Honda shop repairing those machines back then and I should have remembered that.DUH!! Shame on me!!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually the CB750 was not the first bike to have disc brakes. In 1962 Laverda had disc brakes on their TV175 scooter and MV Augusta offered disc brakes in 1967. Some race bikes had disc brakes even earlier but they weren’t production bikes.
Rob

·
Bronze member
1,222 Posts
Actually the CB750 was not the first bike to have disc brakes. In 1962 Laverda had disc brakes on their TV175 scooter and MV Augusta offered disc brakes in 1967. Some race bikes had disc brakes even earlier but they weren’t production bikes.
Rob
Thanks for the info Rob. I suspect that the record is attributed to Honda's CB750 specifically as the first PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE with disc brakes. MV Agustas were not mass produced and scooters aren't motorcycles, even if most guvmints don't recognize the difference.
;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mucker, I understand what you are saying, but I might disagree that MV Agusta was not a mass produced bike. They just weren't popular over here. They were popular over in Europe however. NO they did not build as many as Honda, they were a mass produced bike in my opinion. Also, the TV175 may be a scooter, but it was mass produced and the engine was larger than some motorcycles that were being built then. So I would argue, that Honda was not the first. Just my opinion. BTW, I have an early CB750 and love that bike. LOL.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done. Changed it up a bit... Way less dust on the wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts