Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More a question of curiosity but...can you remove the keyless feature on a chief and install a scout key ignition?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
2,189 Posts
Can it be done? Yes
Can it be done without spending some serious dollars and a substantial engineering effort? No

The bike's computer (VCM) is looking for a specific digital sequence transmitted from the fob on a defined frequency. Designing a circuit to mimic this transmission and having it integrated with a mechanical lock won't be cheap and you'll need a good background in RF/Digital engineering.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting...was wondering if it was a security module that acted like a circuit. I was hoping it would act like a radio frequency switch that could potentially be wired in like a hard switch...guess I'll throw that idea out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No idea if this would work, but just an off the wall thought process. Pretty much any new car, keyless or not, has some sorta proximity chip as well, either in a fob or in the actual key. So it could be possible to integrate the Indian fob into a key handle. Then it would just act like a chipped key. But that still leaves the question of how to actually wire in a keyed switch. Went thru a couple ideas quickly off the top of my head but found my own dead ends with most of them. Well not all dead ends, some just incomplete as I don't have enough knowledge of the details of Indians keyless system.

But I do have one possible solution if you just want a keyed ignition(still no idea if it would really work or just screw things up). Maybe there’s a way to leave the keyless part basically all in tact, put a keyed switch in somewhere, and wire it as an interrupt to the signal wire that the power button and starter button use? So basically it'd still sorta be keyless, but the keyed switch just breaks the circuit so the buttons won’t send a signal unless the key is turned to on. Could just interrupt the starter switch and leave the power button as is, no start button means bike engine can't turn on without turning the key, could still use the power button like normal(turns bikes power on for short period of time without key, just no engine start, and turns all the power off). This would also make it a double deterrent since the 'key' would have the indian fob attached, even hotwiring the keyed switch would just put it back to normal keyless operation so still need the key(well or the code to enter, but anybody that knows that for your bike probably has access to the key).

Again no idea if it would actually work as I’m not too familiar with the details of the keyless system, I tinker with electronics as a hobby(lights stereos and such) but far from professional at it. Or maybe my thought process can spark someone else's to get something that does work.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
No idea if this would work, but just an off the wall thought process. Pretty much any new car, keyless or not, has some sorta proximity chip as well, either in a fob or in the actual key. So it could be possible to integrate the Indian fob into a key handle. Then it would just act like a chipped key. But that still leaves the question of how to actually wire in a keyed switch. Went thru a couple ideas quickly off the top of my head but found my own dead ends with most of them. Well not all dead ends, some just incomplete as I don't have enough knowledge of the details of Indians keyless system.

But I do have one possible solution if you just want a keyed ignition(still no idea if it would really work or just screw things up). Maybe there’s a way to leave the keyless part basically all in tact, put a keyed switch in somewhere, and wire it as an interrupt to the signal wire that the power button and starter button use? So basically it'd still sorta be keyless, but the keyed switch just breaks the circuit so the buttons won’t send a signal unless the key is turned to on. Could just interrupt the starter switch and leave the power button as is, no start button means bike engine can't turn on without turning the key, could still use the power button like normal(turns bikes power on for short period of time without key, just no engine start, and turns all the power off). This would also make it a double deterrent since the 'key' would have the indian fob attached, even hotwiring the keyed switch would just put it back to normal keyless operation so still need the key(well or the code to enter, but anybody that knows that for your bike probably has access to the key).

Again no idea if it would actually work as I’m not too familiar with the details of the keyless system, I tinker with electronics as a hobby(lights stereos and such) but far from professional at it. Or maybe my thought process can spark someone else's to get something that does work.
I'm fairly certain that you could wire an ignition cylinder in-line with the power wire going to the starter to do what you are describing. However, the key would not turn the bike off after it was started.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm fairly certain that you could wire an ignition cylinder in-line with the power wire going to the starter to do what you are describing. However, the key would not turn the bike off after it was started.
Yea I sorta thought of that. That’s partly why I said to put the keyed switch ‘somewhere’ leaving the power button still able to turn power on/off and starter button to start/kill engine. My first thought was to simply replace the power button with a keyed switch in its spot but the turning power off thing came to mind(not sure interrupting any wire form the power button would cut power or just leave it unable to send an ‘off’ signal to computer). Like I said, I’m no pro, this is just what I thought up in a couple mins, but with the exception of an added button press to kill power it would basically be the same process I use with my other keyed bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that the scout and chief are very different bikes....but Ive seen kits for the scout to convert to keyless wonder if there would be a possible reverse engineering aspect to that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts