Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 scout with a dry primary. I have all the bolts removed.. But it still won't come off. Do I need to remove the bearing from the main shaft? Help!

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will be pulling my 2001 Scout out of storage in about a month. I have a dry clutch belt drive primary and will be pulling the primary cover about the 25th of May.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got mine off today. The clutch basket and front pulley were actually pretty tough to get off. Had to rock both of them back and forth together until they creeped off their shafts. Next is the dreaded main shaft pulley.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I need to take off my main shaft pulley (Transmission pulley) right now. I've seen this thing called three different names. Anyway, is that 1 7/8" nut also LHT like the clutch nut? Or is it RHT?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That’s the same one I got last week. Worked perfectly. I did have to stay on the impact trigger for a few seconds before it started turning. Also, I’m using the 1050 foot pound electric impact wrench from harbor freight. It’s a beast!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an air compressor and a 1/2 inch air ratchet. I figured that was what you used to get it off! I am going to replace just about everything in My Rivera Primo belt drive this summer including all the bearings. My Gilroy Scout has 17000 miles on it and I am getting noise from the primary. The noise isn't from the motor and I only hear it as I am going down the road above 30 mph.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an air compressor and a 1/2 inch air ratchet. I figured that was what you used to get it off! I am going to replace just about everything in My Rivera Primo belt drive this summer including all the bearings. My Gilroy Scout has 17000 miles on it and I am getting noise from the primary. The noise isn't from the motor and I only hear it as I am going down the road above 30 mph.
Well, yes. An impact wrench, but also that socket in the post above.

·
Silver member
4,977 Posts
Those are put on with red loctite so most smaller air compressors will not pull them off very easily. You are better off with a electric impact. Dewalt makes one that will pull it off in mere seconds. The first time I did mine with and air compressor the old fashioned way. It was gig, gig, gig, gig, gig, for like twenty minute before if loosened up.

The second time, 10 years later, it came off in about 2 seconds with the electric impact.

And as a tip, when you reinstall your clutch pack do NOT over torque. Simply set those bolts with blue loctite and tighten them until you feel them bottom out. A 1/4 turn too far and the bolts will snap right off. Don't ask me how I know that one...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I
pulled my Primary cover off yesterday and found that part of the gasket had somehow broken off and found its way up into the primary and was getting beat around by the clutch pack. I don't think that is the noise that I am hearing but we will find out today. Does anyone have a good source for the primary gasket or a part number?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts