Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had to have my dealer remove my dummy cap because of some sort of issue with the threading. It is supposed to just unscrew without any effort.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dummy cap simply unscrewed (counter clockwise). No issues with threads. I am not sure about substituting a Harley cap in its place.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Does the cap just unscrew... didn't want to force it? Is the regular fuel cap vented or unvented? Will a Harley Davidson fuel cap screw on/fit? Thanx! Don't remember seeing this topic.
I would like to know the same

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Founding member
509 Posts
I'm interested in this topic as well as maybe replacing the actual fuel cap. These two plain jane caps are one of the things I'd like to spruce up a bit on my Chieftain. I've searched high and low for direct replacements and have come up empty. Anybody else find anything?

·
Founding member
509 Posts
Found some nice HD skull fuel caps that look like they probably fit, but need the experts to tell me.
That's what I'm waiting for as well. The "experts" because I sure as hell am not!! LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Mine just screwed off...... The dummy is just a cap with an inch or so of "all thread" that screws into the tank.

·
Founding member
509 Posts
MotorDog69 has some pretty nice caps for Indians. They fit over the stock gas cap. One version has capability to replace the coin inserts - you can swap out coins as you see fit. Check them out here.
Those look really nice. Has anyone on here actually installed them? Curious how they turned out. Looks like what I've been looking for. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My dummy cap simply unscrewed (counter clockwise). No issues with threads. I am not sure about substituting a Harley cap in its place.
Indian is Metric made in the USA, how much of HD is Metric? I'm purity sure HD isn't all made in US. [smug]

·
Registered
2014 Vintage, 2000 Gilroy Silver Cloud,1973 Indian Dirt Bike
708 Posts
That's what I'm waiting for as well. The "experts" because I sure as hell am not!! LOL.
you could always buy one and if it didn't fit send it back and then you would know 1st hand then you could let us all know! ;)

·
Registered
2014 Vintage, 2000 Gilroy Silver Cloud,1973 Indian Dirt Bike
708 Posts
Indian is Metric made in the USA, how much of HD is Metric? I'm purity sure HD isn't all made in US. [smug]
you would be surprised

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
On my last Harley, I removed the dummy and did away with the hole by having it filled in and painted. Was considering doing the same with my Indian but like the coin holder and think I will go with it instead.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
The left gas cap doesn't remove easily, so many trying think it isn't removable, so I actually removed it and hide my top secret stuff under it and reinstall it.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
I'm interested in this topic as well as maybe replacing the actual fuel cap. These two plain jane caps are one of the things I'd like to spruce up a bit on my Chieftain. I've searched high and low for direct replacements and have come up empty. Anybody else find anything?
Lots of people putting coins, turquoise, American indian symbols on theirs via epoxy............I guess just used your imagination.
Why are HD caps better? Seen plenty of plain caps there too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts