Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this article and I am having this done Indian Announces Removal of Brake Throttle Override » Motorcycle.com News

Today, Indian Motorcycle Product Director, Gary Gray, told us that, because of feedback from journalists and the riding public, effective immediately, the Brake Throttle Override (BTO) system developed to prevent unintended acceleration in its ride-by-wire throttle system will not be installed on any of the 2015 Indian models. Additionally, owners of a current Indian who wish to have the BTO disabled on their motorcycle can simply take it to an Indian dealer to have its ECU flashed with the new software.

Although the BTO has been present on all Indian models since their release last year, we first noticed its effects on a group ride at the Roadmaster’s introduction. In short, if a brake was applied for a period of time in which the throttle was also open, the system would cut in and disable the throttle which led to the two surprising incidents we mentioned in the latter part of our review. Since all manual transmission motorcycles already have a foolproof means of cutting power to the rear wheel in the clutch, we were concerned that the BTO was a technological solution that had the potential to cause more problems than it would prevent.

This type of immediate response from a manufacturer is, frankly, surprising. However, maybe we shouldn’t be surprised since this is the same company that produced an all-new motorcycle line – including the engine – in just 27 months. Still, we are impressed with the unambiguous steps taken by Indian to rectify this issue in such a short time.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
So, if the throttle is opened and the brake is applied for more than 2 seconds the ECU cuts the throttle back to idle. I can see the potential for hazard here however I can see why it's on a RbW (ride by wire) bike. Would hate to see the RbW stick the throtte in an open position. Maybe a 5 or 8 second delay would be an option?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what happened to me on the Highway. Car comes in front of me I put on the brakes. I then go for the throttle that was not there so I am definitely having this done.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
Shuji all you have to do is pull in the clutch which i learned the hard way.
Yep. I have plenty of automotive experience and I know why BTO exists, especially for drive/ride by wire systems. I sometimes wondered why people didn't turn off or put vehicles in neutral when the throttle systems went WOT (wide open throttle)? Must have been panic situations, totally understandable.

In the foreseeable future BTO may be mandated across the board for any machine that has a RbW system. Maybe a longer delay, preferably a higher number, before the ECU cuts the throttle back to idle?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have read about this on the forums and never experienced it until yesterday. What a surprise! Long tight curve. One of those that points you back to the direction you were coming from. Halfway around, touched the rear brake pedal as I gently throttled to complete the curve and NO GO! Damn near dumped! Foot off the brake, twisted throttle and pulled out of it. I got lucky. I want that thing removed! Throttle and rear brake combo are the basics for tight curve/turn negotiation.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Is the BTO on 2015 models?
Was on the early 2015 models, it came on my 2015 Chieftain, had it flashed to be removed the first week I bought it some 24 months ago.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
352 Posts
So not on any model after mid 2015? My 2016 Chieftain?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Indian stopped putting it on the bikes after early spring 2015

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts