Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone take their reflectors off the forks and license plate area? is it possible? if so, why doesn't everyone take them off?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Generally speaking, it is required to have them there in most States. I removed them on my old Honda Shadow, usually just takes some applied heat and some fishing line or dental floss to "cut" through the glue, then some goo-gone (or equivalent) to remove the leftover adhesive.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Took mine off the front forks, used the dental floss method. The ones on the rear are riveted to the license plate bracket, would need to drill out the rivet head to remove them. May be my next step when I get my new license plate.

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
I removed them from my previous bikes because I just didn't like the clutter. As for the legality of removing safety equipment required by the federal DOT, I doubt that there is a cop in America that would notice their absence or give a rat's patooty if he did.
Nowadays, I ride a big touring bike and being SEEN by the cell phone junkies is more important to me. The reflectors DO add a significant amount of visibility when viewed from the side in low light situations.

·
Founding member
1,106 Posts
Took em off. They were simple to remove,double sided tape,came right off.

Wifes Scout had one that feel off! I did reinstall that one because she wanted it.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
As for the legality of removing safety equipment required by the federal DOT, I doubt that there is a cop in America that would notice their absence or give a rat's patooty if he did.
Don't count on that. With the shelter in place orders and various shut downs, LEOs are complaining about a loss of ticket revenue and have stepped up patrols looking for various infractions. They may not notice the absence, but if they did and given the opportunity to gather much needed funds would sure hand over that rat's patooty.

·
Rider
1,568 Posts
Ohio does not require them so I removed them on the front forks on my vintage for looks. The rear was replaced and a curved license plate frame again for looks. I figure if I want to be seen I’ll can wear a reflective traffic vest, as it would sit up higher off of the ground and gives a full 360 reflection. In my opinion there’s is a whole lot of motorcycle to be seen on a side profile if a motorist doesn’t see that side reflectors won’t make any difference.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
anyone take their reflectors off the forks and license plate area? is it possible? if so, why doesn't everyone take them off?
I removed mine and used fishing line , just use it like a saw behind the reflector were the tape touches the forks it's very easy. I have never been questioned about it . Always thought it funny they think those little reflectors would make any difference on my forks . If they can't see the 900 lb bike with chrome and lights they are sure as hell won't see a 3/4 X 3 in reflector lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,980 Posts
Here in the States,these reflectors are a DOT requirement,hence the reason motorcycles,like cars and trucks, are required to have em.So leave em on as that would be a reason to stop,and or, fail you on a State Safety Inspection. [required in most States, but may or may not be in yours] But they should remain on the bike so moving vehicles will see the machine [especially at night] when parked,or should ya have a burned out tail light bulb. And the reason for these reflectors is " YOUR SAFETY" !!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have taken them off some of my bikes and kicked around the idea of taking them off the scout but decided to just leave them on. I like to be seen and I don’t think they look bad. I am also planning to convert my rear turn signals into run/stop/turn and the front signals into run/turn. Makes a big difference in your visibility especially when riding in the rain.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I took mine off the front forks. I have reflective stripes on my riding jacket so if I'm not seen, then I seriously doubt the lower three square inches of light would help much.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i live in TX and have had them off my Yamaha for the past decade and never heard a thing about it. was only stopped twice by cops twice in that time and passed every inspection. i understand the safety reason for them, but there's tons of better ways to improve your visibility on the road so i think it's worth the trade off to take the ugly things off.

Don't count on that. With the shelter in place orders and various shut downs, LEOs are complaining about a loss of ticket revenue and have stepped up patrols looking for various infractions. They may not notice the absence, but if they did and given the opportunity to gather much needed funds would sure hand over that rat's patooty.
that's strange because it was the opposite when quarantine began. cops were making much less frequent pullovers to avoid as many encounters with other drivers on the roads as possible. not sure why that would change as many police departments generally don't rely on ticket revenue anyway. and TX is one state that actually forbids ticket quotas. so i guess it just depends on where you live.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
i live in TX and have had them off my Yamaha for the past decade and never heard a thing about it. was only stopped twice by cops twice in that time and passed every inspection. i understand the safety reason for them, but there's tons of better ways to improve your visibility on the road so i think it's worth the trade off to take the ugly things off.

that's strange because it was the opposite when quarantine began. cops were making much less frequent pullovers to avoid as many encounters with other drivers on the roads as possible. not sure why that would change as many police departments generally don't rely on ticket revenue anyway. and TX is one state that actually forbids ticket quotas. so i guess it just depends on where you live.
{QUOTE}

Most states don't have quotas. At least not officially. Arkansas recently allowed police departments to use ticket writing rates in evaluations and performance reviews. The governing body figured that there are X amount of traffic violations in a given patrol area and if the office is not returning those numbers, the job is not getting done. Presto. Quota.
So they are not quotas by name, just in practice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmmm...I like to keep my ride as stylish as the next guy...but not ahead of my safety. And I think someone did a study somewhere and found a bike is more visible with reflectors at strategic positions. So I'll be keeping mine right where they are. Stay safe!
My thoughts exactly - Its nice to be seen

1 - 20 of 42 Posts