Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2015 Chief Vintage used and was going to clean and redye the leather. The previous owner gave me the Indian tan leather care kit which I'm not sure he used. My question is simply this. When I opened the bottle of leather dye it was the consistency of pudding. Not hard or dried out by very thick and not a liquid. The color seems ok but not the thickness. Is this normal?? Thanks in advance for you help.
Chuck

·
Registered
66 Posts
that dye sounds like its bad. i have dyed my 2014 leather and use Tandy leather dye. its totally liquid though. not sure why yours has gone solid.

·
Rider
360 Posts
there's a ton of info on dying this leather on this site. Do a search. And don't waste your time with the stock Indian dye kit. Get it from Fiebings .

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
I bought my 2015 Chief Vintage used and was going to clean and redye the leather. The previous owner gave me the Indian tan leather care kit which I'm not sure he used. My question is simply this. When I opened the bottle of leather dye it was the consistency of pudding. Not hard or dried out by very thick and not a liquid. The color seems ok but not the thickness. Is this normal?? Thanks in advance for you help.
Chuck
I never used the Indian stuff, have only used Fiebing's and not the water base crap. There is a LOT of info on the leather here, top right of the page is a search bar, type in leather dye, unclick the "search this forum only" and search. Also, you can click on the "tags" on the top left and see other threads with the same tags.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the search but was interested in info on the dye from the Indian leather kit since that is what I have on hand. Why is the dye from the Indian kit considered "crap" and for those that have used the Indian kit was the dye a jell or liquid?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer my own question, I went ahead with the jell like stain and everything came out fine. Apparently the consistency of the stain is suppose to be very thick, almost like pudding. I am very satisfied with the results and will post pics in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts