Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using the Indian Reduced Reach seat on their RM? At 5'7" I barely stand flat footed. I'd like to be a bit lower, but do not want to lower the bike and screw up the ergonomics. Besides, I like to lean into the curves and when I scrape the floorboards it scares the fecal matter out of me 馃槀. Is the seat a noticeable difference? Thanks!

Premium Member
Yes it is. My wife has one on her Chieftain. Lowering your RM an inch won't be that noticeable on handling.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wharf Rat. I was just reading an older post about lowering kits and scraping. Kind of scared me away from that. They had lowered their RM 1.5 inches and were constantly scraping. Do they make a .75 inch lowering kit? With that and a reduced reach seat I might find that happy medium I'm looking for.

Registered
I have the reduced reach Ultimate saddle with moves me about an Inch closer to the bars and I can flat foot at 5鈥7 1/2鈥. I don鈥檛 think it lowers me any more than the stock seat though.

Premium Member
@Quagmire
I am pretty sure that lowering links come in .75 and either 1" or 1.25" steps. Look for ones that offer two settings so you have a choice.
They are pretty cheap now. Anywhere from $40 - $70. Look on Ebay or in the sell section here. You might find the just shaving the seat helps too. Indians are wide bikes and have wide seats. It they were a bit more narrow, the bike would not need to be lowered as much.

My wife has her Chieftain lowered 2.25" and scrapes all the time. More importantly, it really reduced the departure angle so she has to pay attention to driveways. But, she can now flatfoot the bike and wrestle it around the driveway.

Registered
2019 CDH
I have the reduced reach Ultimate saddle with moves me about an Inch closer to the bars and I can flat foot at 5鈥7 1/2鈥. I don鈥檛 think it lowers me any more than the stock seat though.
Thanks, that was the info I was searching for. I'm 5'4 1/2". I'm looking at the Ultimate reduced reach seat for my 19 CDH. I'm on the balls of my feet with the OEM seat. I'm one oil slick away at a stop light from falling over. LOL. How is the comfort on a 2 to 3 hours ride?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone give me some feedback on the .75 inch lowering kit? It seems like the 1 or 1.25 would be too extreme for my style of riding. I usually have the wife on the back and the bags packed to the limit. Don't want to scrape all the chrome off the bottom of my pipes. Heck, maybe I just need to order boots with taller heels... :)

Premium Member
One of the European members here posted recently that he had lowered his 111 bike using the .75" links and was happy with it. He was either from France or Belgium.
Most likely, the scraping will be on the cross-over pipe rather than the mufflers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
One of the European members here posted recently that he had lowered his 111 bike using the .75" links and was happy with it. He was either from France or Belgium.
Most likely, the scraping will be on the cross-over pipe rather than the mufflers.

View attachment 589477
That's not pretty. I wonder how long till a hole is ground.

Premium Member
Remember, it is about -2.25" from factory.
Maybe this weekend, I will adjust it upwards a little.

Registered
My RM has the stock seat, but I use an Arlen Ness height adjustable shock. It's a bit stiff, but as long as my feet are planted, I am good to go 600 miles or so.

I am just not that much of a fan of lowring links.

Premium Member
My RM has the stock seat, but I use an Arlen Ness height adjustable shock. It's a bit stiff, but as long as my feet are planted, I am good to go 600 miles or so.

I am just not that much of a fan of lowring links.
@MikeA If you haul a consistent load, that shock can be adjusted to deliver a softer ride. I would not do it if you switch between solo and 2-up riding a lot.

Registered
@MikeA If you haul a consistent load, that shock can be adjusted to deliver a softer ride. I would not do it if you switch between solo and 2-up riding a lot.
Understood. I keep it stiff in the event I need to put a passenger on the back seat in an emergency.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts