Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just got my first Scout (2017 used). I am 5,2 and am looking to modify to a better fit. Found the all reduced reach products such as the handlebar, seat and foot controls. A couple things I am unsure about. Is the reduced seat just a 2inch shorter seat pushing me forward but not lower to the ground? Can the reduced reach foot controls be installed with my existing floor boards? What size is the reduced reach handle bar vs. the standard / or would I be better off with a 10inch ape bar? If I install all the reduced reach mods, will I have enough lead from my brake lines and clutch cable? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You have a lot of the same questions I do. I'm picking up a used 2017 Scout on Saturday. I'm 5'6". I sat on a Scout in a dealership about a year ago and I tried the reduced reach seat and I was more comfortable reaching the bars. It certainly is an easy (but $260) swap. I read recently that the reduced reach seat moves you slightly lower as well as 2" forward. I guess that also pushes the center of gravity more on the front wheel, which might be a little better for turning, but also might make the rear brake slightly more likely to skid by unloading the rear tire ??? I'm no expert, and I don't know how significant the 2" shift forward is on those possible handling issues.

This new COVID world changes things, but if a dealer would let you try one of the seats on one of their bikes you would learn alot. If reach to the controls is better both high and low you're in business. The mini-apes seem pretty popular on Scouts. Do you have a buddy with one you could sit on? The alternative to the new seat is to use the reduced reach pedals and/or the reduced reach bars depending on what you need. Regarding the incompatibility issues, sometimes the Indian web site or the pdf installation instructions will call them out; for example, I believe the extended reach controls aconflict with the highway bars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Kreampuff, welcome to your new Scout:D
I'm 5' 4" with a 28' inseam and also had indecision about how to fit the Scout to me. I tried the reduced reach pegs and saddle at my dealer but just didn't like the feel and look, especially as my feet were still forwards and I've always preferred to have them more underneath me. So, I did a lot of research into mid-controls and handlebar risers / extenders instead and then went for the RSD mid-controls and pull-back risers, along with the Gauge relocator.

Not cheap, especially importing into the UK, but really high-quality parts and they worked out exactly as I'd hoped. No more reach issues at the bars or foot-controls, and the Gauge relocator helps enormously with a full-face helmet as you don't have to look down between your toes any more. The mid-controls also allow you to stand up on the pegs, something that even the reduced-reach controls don't allow, so you can deal with bumpy roads, potholes and the like without your butt being bounced off the saddle all the time(y) That's a big advantage not many on the forum mention.

There are other mid-controls about, so have look at them too. Once I'd fitted them, and the pull-back risers, I didn't even have to order the reduced reach saddle so that offset some of the cost and of course, you can use the existing bars too. I may at some stage get the 1920 saddle which is supposed to sit you forwards and up a bit, but that's purely for cosmetic reasons, not fit.

So, there are other options out there, take your time and do lot's of research.

Here's some pics of mine fitted. Hope this helps.
FB996C6A-26B5-4206-94F9-5755E1D18FE0.jpeg
F15EEF9E-3D96-4B79-985E-1D6386420861.jpeg
D9E79989-BBCC-42FB-8C5A-7448BD52783B.jpeg
E9BE2090-8384-481C-93D3-A32409D3333F.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello DrSteve and thank you for your response. I agree that the Covid19 is changing things, as so far I have not been able to register the new bike. I have however purchased the reduced reach seat for $220 and installed myself. It does indeed bring me slightly lower and 2inches forward. I have decided to wait until I can test ride my own bike to see what other alterations are necessary for a comfortable ride.

when life gets complicated.... I ride

1 - 4 of 4 Posts