Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a chance to put some more miles on the Scout today and am beginning to get an idea of what I want (accessory-wise) and what I don't need. I definitely need either reduced-reach bars or a riser to reduce strain on my shoulders. Does anyone have these reduced-reach bars and willing to comment? Also any thoughts on risers are also welcome.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have the reduced reach bars installed, but I also have the extended reach seat installed. I have a 36" inseam and wanted to be moved up/back a bit but not reach too far forward. With the stock seat installed, the reduce reach bars are 2" closer to the rider. More of a relaxed ride. I like them...

Reactions: ScotD

·
Registered
748 Posts
My extended reach bars are in--just need to get to the dealer and get them installed. Hope mine work as well for me.
I have all three Indian bars. What work the best for me was the taller seat. Right now i have the reduced reach bars on. I will try the extended reach in a few weeks. At the Motorcycle show they had a bike you could easily switch the parts around. All my other bikes have pegs below you or back. It's the feet forward and hands forward that is my issue. The taller seat and longer handle bars should do the trick.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Got a chance to put some more miles on the Scout today and am beginning to get an idea of what I want (accessory-wise) and what I don't need. I definitely need either reduced-reach bars or a riser to reduce strain on my shoulders. Does anyone have these reduced-reach bars and willing to comment? Also any thoughts on risers are also welcome.
I have fitted my RE bars and the kink and pain in my back have all but gone. Just today I adjusted the bars up a little straighten me even more. Going either side of this point will only begin to put the bend back in my back. A ride this afternoon will confirm if they are right. I prefer my legs out forward, easy rider style so am considering the ER foot controls.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have only the reduced reach bars and it made a world of difference. The dealer had originally adjusted them to high so when we got home lowered them, rode and then lowered again. Have them set now and feels like a perfect fit, shoulders don't get tired and even throttle hand does ok (don't have any cruise control yet).

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I have fitted my RE bars and the kink and pain in my back have all but gone. Just today I adjusted the bars up a little straighten me even more. Going either side of this point will only begin to put the bend back in my back. A ride this afternoon will confirm if they are right. I prefer my legs out forward, easy rider style so am considering the ER foot controls.
Just been for a quick run through some windy bits near home with the bars in the new position and yes, I am definitely beginning to get that " at home with the bike " feeling I have with the Intruder.

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have only the reduced reach bars and it made a world of difference. The dealer had originally adjusted them to high so when we got home lowered them, rode and then lowered again. Have them set now and feels like a perfect fit, shoulders don't get tired and even throttle hand does ok (don't have any cruise control yet).
My dealer did the same thing, when i get a chance i will lower them and try it out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm confused a bit. I thought the Reduced Reach bars were closer to the fork and more like drag bars (without being drag bars) and the Extended Reach bars would be more like having risers or something moving them closer to the rider (more upright).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may be right. I was looking at it from a "reduced reach" for the driver. Just got back from the dealer with mine installed + a back rest. Man, what a difference! All I know is that I am no longer hunched over and my lower back is a whole lot happier. Now, just waiting for the highway bars, and I think I'm done. (Emphasis on "think".)

·
Registered
181 Posts
You may be right. I was looking at it from a "reduced reach" for the driver. Just got back from the dealer with mine installed + a back rest. Man, what a difference! All I know is that I am no longer hunched over and my lower back is a whole lot happier. Now, just waiting for the highway bars, and I think I'm done. (Emphasis on "think".)
I really have no clue now so I'd love to hear what the line item was on the invoice.

I just took another look on Indian's website and I swear the pictures must be backward. The written descriptions describe them just as you did Transylvania but the pictures tell a different story to me.

The Extended Reach bars are described as moving the controls forwards 2" for riders with long arms or those that like to lean forward but the picture shows a set of bars with a ton of pull back. The Reduced Reach bars are the exact opposite; it moves the controls towards the rider 2" for those with short arms or would like to be more upright and the picture shows a LOT less pull back.

:: scratches head :: I'm throughly confused. Is it counterintuitive?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I really have no clue now so I'd love to hear what the line item was on the invoice.

I just took another look on Indian's website and I swear the pictures must be backward. The written descriptions describe them just as you did Transylvania but the pictures tell a different story to me.

The Extended Reach bars are described as moving the controls forwards 2" for riders with long arms or those that like to lean forward but the picture shows a set of bars with a ton of pull back. The Reduced Reach bars are the exact opposite; it moves the controls towards the rider 2" for those with short arms or would like to be more upright and the picture shows a LOT less pull back.

Everything should be taken from the riders view point.
The printed catalogue and the website are different. Pointed it out to Polaris CS and dealer last August. Glad to see they are on top of things. :D

Reactions: quantumschema

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Also know that the Reduced Reach (controls closer to driver) bars are also WIDER than stock. Found out the hard way. :(

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I'm confused a bit. I thought the Reduced Reach bars were closer to the fork and more like drag bars (without being drag bars) and the Extended Reach bars would be more like having risers or something moving them closer to the rider (more upright).

Yeah, that terminology had me baffled for quite a while too. Reduced reach is for PEOPLE with a reduced reach, meaning they can't reach,...in a sense. So, if you are short like me and you must lean forward to get to the bars, you need the reduced reach bars to lean you BACK once they are fitted. Hope this helps and hasn't muddled the water even more!
Alpal

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Yeah, that terminology had me baffled for quite a while too. Reduced reach is for PEOPLE with a reduced reach, meaning they can't reach,...in a sense. So, if you are short like me and you must lean forward to get to the bars, you need the reduced reach bars to lean you BACK once they are fitted. Hope this helps and hasn't muddled the water even more!
Alpal

Exactly !! Keep It Simple ..

·
Registered
748 Posts

That was the starting point on owning all three handlebars. I ordered the extended reach - "the long ones" in an email to the dealer. The installed "short ones". LOL. This time of year i ride the BMW 1600gt. heated grips, seat and wind protection. I was in the 40's yesterday and the ice is starting to break up. Spring is here! Now in training, first race is in a month.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That was the starting point on owning all three handlebars. I ordered the extended reach - "the long ones" in an email to the dealer. The installed "short ones". LOL. This time of year i ride the BMW 1600gt. heated grips, seat and wind protection. I was in the 40's yesterday and the ice is starting to break up. Spring is here! Now in training, first race is in a month.
Hilarious! These bars are going to be source of humor for me for a little while.

·
Registered
748 Posts
After reading this thread and lowered my reduced reach (short bars). I need to get some miles with the new setting. So far I think that is going to work. Thanks Cindy.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts